News   Mar 28, 2024
 320     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 683     0 

44th Canadian Federal Election

1628795824909.png
From link.

Sorry. Can't vote by internet... yet.

Wonder if the Conservatives would raise a stink about voting by mail?

From link.

Voting by mail or at a local Elections Canada office means voting by special ballot.

• Anyone may vote by special ballot, but you must apply for this ballot in advance.
  • Your application must be received at Elections Canada by the special ballot registration deadline: 6 p.m. on the Tuesday before election day.
  • Once your application is accepted, we will give you a special ballot voting kit. This kit includes:
    • a special ballot
    • two envelopes (they keep your vote secret)
    • instructions on how to mark and mail in your special ballot
  • Your completed special ballot must arrive at Elections Canada by the election day deadline, or it will not be counted.
  • Once your application to vote by special ballot has been accepted, this is the only way you can vote. You cannot vote at the advance or election day polls or apply for another special ballot.
  • You may vote only once during an election, and you may vote only for a candidate running in your riding.

No doubt they will. I am fully expecting it to be a tighter race than we all think.

Then again.. if all the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers come out of the woodwork, I can see the conservatives taking a hit. It's no secret that the fringe anti-mask and anti-vaxx groups are positioned alongside the conservatives.

If they start trying to spew their rhetoric in an election, it will be damaging to the conservatives. As much as elections are about making your case to the people, most people in Canada want to get back to normal life which means vaccinations and masks.
Anti mask and anti vax are honestly different categories. While it's true that they will both be associated with the conservatives, I read a really interesting article the other day (from the globe and mail I believe) saying how the most common anti vax group was middle aged females who typically voted liberal. I believe there is some evidence to back up that a large portion of the anti vax group is comprised of liberal leaning "hippie" groups and "health guru's"

Am dreading the saturation coverage, newscast with dramatic music and graphics, just got over the Olympic mania and now a bloody election. The CBC had a quiz that asked questions and gave you a result that suggested which party you aligned with, it chose a party I have never ever voted for. An election is about governance, not self-interest, it's not "what are you going to do for me" but rather "what sort of country do you want in the future". That's where the Americans went wrong. Selfishness is so destructive.

Anti mask and anti vax are honestly different categories. While it's true that they will both be associated with the conservatives, I read a really interesting article the other day (from the globe and mail I believe) saying how the most common anti vax group was middle aged females who typically voted liberal. I believe there is some evidence to back up that a large portion of the anti vax group is comprised of liberal leaning "hippie" groups and "health guru's"
Just because they're hippie/healthish, female, or have voted Liberal in the past, doesn't make them presently "Liberal leaning". (Though it does overlap w/how Green supporters are next after PPC supporters in being vaccine skeptics.)

I bet this is going to be one of many CPC candidates who get turfed once their opponents dig up the candidates’ social media posts on vaccines and lock downs.

Turfing them DURING an election is virtually impossible. You can do it but it would leave you without a viable candidate.

If nothing else it will be negative press for the conservatives in the eyes of Canadians who want to move on with their lives.

I honestly cannot think of a better time to hold an election. You have the Greens Party in shambles, the Conservatives are associated with anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers while being deeply unpopular in Ontario and the NDP has a leader who cares more for Tiktok than giving a viable, meaningful platform.

This election is the liberals to lose and they know it.

I wonder if the O'toole camp will approach Doug Fords office to tell him to STFU and cool it with his policies, rhetoric, etc for the next bit. If numbers go up and Ford starts locking things down again (especially in Toronto) it will kill the conservatives chances in Ontario.

No doubt, there will be close contact between Doug Fords office and the Conservative campaign to avoid any issues electorally speaking.

Back