News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

Personally, I don’t take this as bad news. It may mean that someone in the Ford government asked the hard question ...
The report is that this tender closed on June 29. The government didn't come to power until June 29.

It's not possible that this contract had anything to do with Ford.

From last night's Metrolinx town hall:

"Room is full for #AskMetrolinx. Phil explains how much time of his day is spent negotiating with freight operators to facilitate rail expansion on corridors we don’t own. Discussing other options to expand services such as express buses in the meantime."

https://twitter.com/femwriter/status/1045087985975226368?s=19
The analogy of wanting to drive your car through someone’s backyard and they saying no was great.

From last night's Metrolinx town hall:

"Room is full for #AskMetrolinx. Phil explains how much time of his day is spent negotiating with freight operators to facilitate rail expansion on corridors we don’t own. Discussing other options to expand services such as express buses in the meantime."

https://twitter.com/femwriter/status/1045087985975226368?s=19

This to me is one of the biggest fails of the government in recent history.

CN used to be a crown corporation. CP gets subsidy from the government.

There should have been provisions with the selling of CN that a certain leeway must be given to passenger rail.

If CP doesnt want to play ball all subsidies should dry up.

The greatest joke ive ever heard is that when VIA and Amtrak were created a law was passed in each country that freight operators will be fined if they dont give passenger rail service the right of way.

I think its been used something like twice.

Are you looking for a certain time quantity? What's the ideal you'd be hoping for?
Maybe I misunderstood AMA's tweet....she says that he explained how much time he spends on this subject.....I just wanted to know how much that is....if he said it and someone heard it I would like to know....that's all.

My expectation would be that there are days (perhaps even weeks or months) where he does not spend any time on it at all.

The greatest joke ive ever heard is that when VIA and Amtrak were created a law was passed in each country that freight operators will be fined if they dont give passenger rail service the right of way.

While there is such a law for Amtrak - and it has been used a couple of times, although its been mainly wielded as threat - there is no such law created for VIA. In fact, VIA was created through an order-in-council, not a specific piece of voted-upon legislation.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The report is that this tender closed on June 29. The government didn't come to power until June 29.

It's not possible that this contract had anything to do with Ford.

‘Closed’ means the bidders had until that date to submit their bids.

My point is that while the work went out to tender before Ford, the decision to award the contract to a successful bidder rests with the new government. They don’t have to award it at all, if they don’t see vale in it.

That decision very much rests with Ford.

- Paul

This to me is one of the biggest fails of the government in recent history.

CN used to be a crown corporation. CP gets subsidy from the government.

There should have been provisions with the selling of CN that a certain leeway must be given to passenger rail.

If CP doesnt want to play ball all subsidies should dry up.

VIA was created in an era when CN & CP passenger services were loosing gobs of money and the government's lukewarm response was likely the only palatable alternative short of complete elimination across the country. Other than the mandated remote services, I doubt many inside government expected it to last for too many years anyway.
I recall reading that CP argued, apparently successfully, to have the The Canadian moved to CN because its original charter mandated it to delivery freight services "efficiently" and passenger accommodation was interfering with that (at least at the prevailing rate).
I suspect both CN and CP, and their shareholders, would be more than willing to accede to Toronto freight bypass if their operations were protected and future-proofed and somebody else paid for it - all of it.

At the September 30th Metrolinx Q and A a Kitchener Line commuter asked about service improvements for the line and references to CN Rail were made.

Back