News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

A September 2, 2017 article in the Cambridge Times. I wonder if the presentation mention is the same one as this one given in the Spring.

Metrolinx said potential agreement could shorten timelines for two-way all-day GO train
Sep 02, 2017
by Bob Vrbanac
Waterloo Chronicle
Metrolinx officials were in Waterloo Region last week to say they’ve heard the concerns over timelines about all-day two-way GO train service to the area and recent developments could get it here within a shorter time frame.

“We’re shooting for the seven, but we’ll shorten that up if we can,” said Gord Troughton, Metrolinx director of infrastructure for the Kitchener corridor. “There is a big commitment to get as much service out here as quickly as we can.”

Originally, that timeline was seven years for two-way, all-day service; but Troughton and Erin Moroz, director of communications and community relations, told regional council in a presentation last week there have been some significant developments that could shorten that projection.

Metrolinx has reached an agreement in principle with CN Rail to build a new 30-kilometre bypass for its freight traffic. Metrolinx currently owns 79 per cent of the 101-kilometres of track between Union Station and Kitchener, but a 19-kilometre stretch between Georgetown and Bramalea owned by CN Rail has been the biggest impediment to securing more service. The proposed bypass will solve some of those problems.

“The biggest problem is that bottleneck or pinch point between Bramalea and Georgetown,” said Troughton. “We have to cross their track and we only have permission to do (so) a certain number of times a day, because that means they basically have to stop.

“The idea is to bypass that corridor, gain ownership of it and let the trains continue to run.”

Another major infrastructure project that needs to be completed for all-day service is a new tunnel under Highway 401. The plan will add a fourth dedicated track that will service this region. Troughton said the request for proposal is set to come back with a preferred proponent by December, with hopes that construction would start next year.

“We’re working with Infrastructure Ontario, and we’ve gone through the request for proposals and they have been received,” said Troughton. “The team is evaluating those right now, and that will lead to the selection of a successful proponent and negotiations to bring them on by December of this or January of next.”

There will still be some design work to do, and the company or companies contracted would have to offer some of their suggestions, but the hope is that the shovel will go into the ground by next summer.

“We hope that construction would start by next summer or next fall,” said Troughton. “It is quite an undertaking — it’s very shallow underneath the 401.

“It is very challenging working under that highway. You don’t want to have any disruption at all to traffic.”

If work proceeds well, without any major complications, that work could be completed by late 2021 or early 2022.

Troughton said it’s all about the number of tracks that can be operated to provide the type of service that local politicians, passengers, businesses and the high-tech sector are clamouring for in establishing better links in the Toronto-Waterloo innovation corridor. “We need that fourth track to extend the two-way all-day service,” said Troughton.

Metrolinx is also completing an environmental assessment of electrifying the tracks to Bramalea and will have to do the same when the last link is added to the line to Kitchener. The goal is to have the GO train service electrified throughout the system. That brings challenges with safety and security of the corridor, although it would be a boon to environmental sustainability

“We won’t arrive on a final alignment or route until the EA is done,” said Troughton. “The feasibility study is talking about working with incorporating 35 bridges and electrifying 60 kilometres of tracks, and it’s a big undertaking with two new lines.

“We’re aware of the interest in this from the (Waterloo Region) — not just the council, but the businesses to get more service and we’re trying to do that as much as we can.

“We don’t want to skip any steps, and it will have some impacts not only for the positive on Kitchener, but there will also be some community impact along the line as well.”

In the meantime, Moroz said increased GO bus service, including express service from Kitchener, has been a big hit with users.

“Any time we introduce more bus service, and we have, it’s a very popular service,” said Moroz. “We’re looking at how we can bring on more fleet for that as well, and there is definite need across the region for more bus service including in this community.”

Moroz said they see the GO bus as a complementary service, even when all-day rail service is added. The key is improving transit capability and ultimately reducing gridlock in the Highway 401 corridor around Toronto.

“How quickly can you get the service here? That’s primarily the biggest question and biggest ask we get from this region,” said Moroz.

A September 2, 2017 article in the Cambridge Times. I wonder if the presentation mention is the same one as this one given in the Spring.
Good heads-up, but it's nothing more than flaccid words. It's beyond embarrassing to trot out the excuse, of all things, that (gist) "Hwy 401 tunnel is so shallow". Almost as shallow as some of the excuses.

As if that tunneling has taken them by surprise! And they can cling all they like to the "Agreement in Principle". It means absolutely nothing, as other Metrolinx and politicos have admitted.

The price of promises is down on the stock exchange this week...

At the 7:49 mark of the above-linked video, the GO reps giving the presentation talk specifically about the bypass corridor. Quick highlights:
- it would take 7 years to complete including from the EA right through to completing construction
- Metrolinx and CN Rail are doing "feasibility reviews" right now.
- the "Induction Study will be complete by December [2017]. Formal planning work will begin in the Spring [of 2018]."

What's an Induction Study? Is that just another way to describe a preliminary study?

The presentation did not indicate that a full agreement has been reached with CN, as the media report implied. The presenter and the powerpoint talked about continuing negotiations to progress from the existing memo of agreement - which is an agreement only to negotiate - to a full agreement.
Normally one would not talk about the outcome of a negotiation without qualifying things a little more. The presenter certainly presented the plan as if it is going to happen. Possibly the deal is quite close, but this being ML it wouldn't surprise me if they are just forging ahead blindly.
I hope there is a deal, but I won't believe it until I see it announced as signed. Until then, it's just intent.

- Paul

The presenter certainly presented the plan as if it is going to happen. Possibly the deal is quite close, but this being ML it wouldn't surprise me if they are just forging ahead blindly.
I hope there is a deal, but I won't believe it until I see it announced as signed. Until then, it's just intent.
I take it even further, albeit I was hesitating posting, as I'm an admitted cynic on Metrolinx announcements (I call them 'theories')

The emphasis on the 30 bus. Yes, it's getting high ridership, but that is being played as a back-up (gist) "kept even when the trains are running". There's so many ifs, ands and buts that I had to read back in the string here to remind myself of this:
gotta get trains into Bramalea first before concerning self with the stretch from Bramalea to Georgetown :)
And it's absolutely true. *WHEN* the possible is completed, then perhaps we can deal with the theory of what is now not possible.

I find religious missionaries more believable than the "GO Traveling Roadshow". Let me guess: Not one of them arrived there by GO Transit.

Btw: As a side note. The 30 bus does impress me, in fact, I'm envious. I still visit Guelph a lot, and use it as a drop-off start for distance cycling (Elora-Cataract and Cambridge-Hamilton rail-trails, just a few to mention, both excellent!), and so whenever I see the 30 bus meeting the train to Mt Pleasant sitting at Bramalea, I spasm to run and catch it. It's a fast ride to K/W! How fast? Faster than even if there was electric RER running to K/W. Think about that. And the 29 bus to Guelph was also faster than the train time, by one minute according to schedule. It was cancelled, due to GO not promoting it, and hardly anyone used it.

There's something odd in the story of the 29's demise. I guess they hadn't announced the "Agreement in Principle" yet, and it lacked propaganda value.

Of course, the excuse of the 401 tunnel (Oh qu'elle surprise!) is handy as an excuse for most anything. So what in hell has been stopping them from building it all this time? Silly me! Of course...they'd then have to fulfill the promise to electrify to Bramalea and Pearson, and then they'd really have to face reality. Heaven forbid.

Note to clarify: The 30 bus runs non-stop express from Bramalea to K/W bus station then to the Unis. A loop at Milton to connect with other routes could do wonders at the cost of five minutes running time.

Last edited:
The presentation did not indicate that a full agreement has been reached with CN, as the media report implied. The presenter and the powerpoint talked about continuing negotiations to progress from the existing memo of agreement - which is an agreement only to negotiate - to a full agreement.
Normally one would not talk about the outcome of a negotiation without qualifying things a little more. The presenter certainly presented the plan as if it is going to happen. Possibly the deal is quite close, but this being ML it wouldn't surprise me if they are just forging ahead blindly.

- Paul

I think the language they've used in the past is they have the Agreement in Principal and are working towards a Legal Agreement. With the reference to the "induction study" being done in December 2017, but we'll hear of more news then, or be able to look at a more detailed PDF. That was the only small piece of "news" I took away from the presentation.

$19M will be spent on the Kitchener Extension this year, as noted in the 2017-2018 Metrolinx Business Plan.
2xmiJPk

Also:

Kitchener Corridor Expansion and Freight Bypass

In June 2016, the Province announced an expansion of two-way all-day service to Kitchener GO Station, aided in part by the Province’s agreement-in-principle with CN Rail to consider a new 30 kilometre corridor between Brampton and Milton. CN owns a 19 kilometre stretch of
the Kitchener corridor from west of Georgetown to east of Bramalea.

In order to accommodate CN’s freight operations and also introduce two-way, all-day GO train service to Kitchener,
additional infrastructure is required.
The agreement-in-principle with CN is to explore the construction of this new corridor between Brampton and Milton, which would allow most CN freight traffic to be shifted off the existing Kitchener corridor.

In 2017-18, Metrolinx will continue negotiations with CN to progress from the agreement-in-principle to a full agreement, initiate a public and stakeholder engagement process, continue planning and design work to identify route alignment and address potential concerns, as well as initiate an EA.

Metrolinx is working to identify and evaluate potential route alignments, technical feasibility, community impacts, cost, environmental impacts and regulatory requirements. The concept
initially includes two mainline tracks and up to a total of six tracks in the longer term, with protection for stations and electrification for possible future passenger rail service in the longer Term.

Great find! Anymore?

The Toronto Public Library has archival copies of the Toronto Star available for on-line retrieval, from its web site. It's a fantastic tool for looking up the history of old Council debates, transit line propopsals, etc.

The Star covered the building of the bypass, from the initial proposal to the end construction. I won't paste all the articles I found.... if anyone is interested the search words "bypass" and "CNR" will pull it all up. In brief - the design that CN proposed was the design that they ended up with, with few changes. There was a counterproposal to route the bypass on a different route about 3 miles to the north, but it encroached on as many urban areas (or more) and would have required more grade separation. The only real change was in the Dunbarton area (Kingston Road-Port Union-Whites Road), where the tracks were planned to run right through a small community. There was lots of opposition from citizens and communities. Communities on the Malton-Burlington leg didn't oppose the plan per se (there was little new right of way construction in that stretch, it was a case of upgrading fairly sleepy branch lines to full main line traffic levels) but they did lobby for additional grade separation over what CN originally proposed. Communities east of Malton "just said no" as this put a new rail line where there hadn't been one before. In the end, they appealed to Ottawa..... and failed.

As the clipping below indicates, the original impetus for the bypass was simply to get CN out of downtown Toronto, and (although simply a dream for the following decade) to free up the Lakeshore line for some sort of rail commuter service. At one point it was proposed that CP's North Toronto line become the "bypass". Amazing how some didn't see the city growing as it has! Let's be thankful that idea was discarded.... imagine the mess we would be in if all Toronto's freight ran on that line today, and if no corridor was laid across the north end where we may need it now.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.45.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.45.35 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.45.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.45.35 PM.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 325
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.45.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 5.45.54 PM.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 311
Article here with York Region residents commenting on the Missing Link and the potential of CP Rail traffic on the CN York Sub.
Excellent 'heads-up' and subsequent posts from others.

One has to wonder, are they just as upset at the 407 and other arterial roads increasing traffic (freight and passenger) many more times than double? Maybe it is time QP allowed Toronto to charge road tolls on those driving in from York Region?

Last edited:

Back