News   May 02, 2024
 626     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 204     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 263     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Congrats Olivia. I voted for Ford and he was a drug addicted, at-home castor canadensis eating disaster. I voted for Tory and at best he was a status quo, obstructionist placeholder and philanderer. This time, I voted for you. Let’s hope I’ve done a better job this time.

Last edited:
So we all thought Mainstreet was off.. but they were actually spot on? Why were we so certain they were overestimating Ana?

So we all thought Mainstreet was off.. but they were actually spot on? Why were we so certain they were overestimating Ana?
(1) because all the other pollsters were underpolling her
(2) because that was before the critical John Tory endorsement
(3) because push polling and strategic finagling to make a certain desired result happen, works. Thanks, Mr. Kouvalis; now, as I was braced for, Team AnaQuito can claim "moral victory"...

If Chow can change the city for the better I'll support her.
But if Toronto remains unchanged (or gets worse) I hope she's a 1-termer

A Scarborough and Downtown alliance to defeat Etobicoke and North York?

1687829125710.png

My take:

Olivia Chow won but didn’t blow this out of the water. Scarborough is the reason she is the new mayor. The next 3.5 years is going to be rough no matter what - so much to do and work on. I hope Toronto gets better under Mayor Olivia Chow, however, it’s going to be a bumpy ride. If she has a somewhat disappointing 3.5 years, she’ll be seen as weak. If she is seen as a champion who is on the right path, she’ll get a full term in 2026.

That said, Ana Bailao bet the expectations. She was very close to winning this. it wouldn’t shock me if she runs again in 2026. My hope is other possible candidates get behind her and her team is laser focused on keeping Etobicoke, grabbing all of North York and push hard for Scarborough. She gets all that for the win. Make no mistake… Ana Bailao could be a mayor in waiting.

Bailao will probably find that working for a developer in the private sector more lucrative and rewarding than trying to take on an incumbent Mayor Chow. Three years is a long time in politics.

A Scarborough and Downtown alliance to defeat Etobicoke and North York?
Knowing how the Layton-Chow household operated and operates, I'd imagine it'd be more about healing divides than Ford-style settling of scores.

#
I am very pleased with Olivia Chow’s victory. For many reasons, of course, but my top reason is the symbolic one: a kick in the shins to the old guard.
Me too. Of course those that vote for populists, including Trump and fascists like Hitler think exactly the same. Kick the old guard, bring in the new.

Chow's share is in the ballpark, but Bailao is overshooting substantially.

So it would appear she did become the anybody but Chow candidate. She's showing what, 10 points over who her best poll?

She was far more credible than Saunders, Furey was a fringe "candidate" and poor Bradley stumbled right out of the gate and never recovered.

I wonder how things would have gone if not for the numerous kooks, cranks and attention-seekers clogging up the works this time around. What a cartoonish election. (Well, I did earlier compare it to an eerily similar Simpsons episode from some years ago. The Simpsons predict the future yet again!)

Did the dog get many votes?

Back