News   May 03, 2024
 788     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 506     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 250     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sure, that’s what investing is all about. I don’t assume that my investments occur outside regulatory environments and, of course, politics. I also mainly stick to the index. And pay a six figure tax bill annually.

Congratulations- you're rich! Does the government dictate what Apple can charge for an iPhone or what Tim Horton's can charge for a Double-Double?

The landlord-tenant relationship is governed by provincial legislation. There are bad tenants and bad landlords. There’s lots of coercion and bad behaviour. You are not presenting serious arguments and honestly just making stuff up. Regulation is “immoral”? Law is “immoral” then? This is just 16-year-old level fact free Libertarian nonsense.

Correct. Rent control is immoral. Limiting how much a private property owner can charge to lease out his property is immoral. Please see below for some flavor of my thinking:
Rent controls violate your rights. They are a gun at your head. As an apartment owner, you have the moral right to decide the price at which you’ll offer a unit for rent. The government has no right to dictate to you what rate you can offer. Of course, it has a legal right to do this; it has a legal right to do whatever it can enact into law and get upheld by the courts. But that doesn’t make it moral. Slavery was legal at one time, but it was never moral. And rent controls are nothing less than enslavement of the property owner.

Where is she planning on making evictions of bad tenants harder? You’re making stuff up.

Glad you asked:

Establish the Toronto Renters Action Committee – Olivia is committed to elevating and incorporating the voice of renters into how the City works giving them a seat at the table on City decisions. The Committee will work on anti-renoviction bylaws, advocating for real rent control, reviewing existing policies and programs related to renters, and holding the City accountable to renters.

1. We don't need anti-renoviction bylaws- there's no such thing as a legal "renoviction". A landlord simply cannot evict a tenant to renovate an apartment unit unless it's some sort of emergency repair. You don't need a bylaw, you need to educate tenants of their rights.
2. Reviewing existing policies and programs related to renters is 100% going to make eviction of bad tenants harder. In case you didn't know, landlords aren't in the business of evicting good tenants.

Furey has no relevant experience and is just a dog whistle for right-wing pet projects, like the evils of bike lanes. Saunders presided over a criminally incompetent serial killer investigation.

Biking as a hobby is fantastic! I love it! Bike lanes however are evil on major streets. They are very dangerous for cylcists and pedestrians. They are also bias in favor of young men essentially and an erornmous impediment to traffic flow. Bike lanes shuld be relegated to side streeets.

And "investors" would buy up all the food in a grocery store if they felt they could legally make a profit reselling it.

Fortunately competition makes hoarding food untenable. But there are food shortages in Communist countries- would you prefer that model then?

You think you're providing a service?

Yes. Renting out apartments to tenant residents is providing a service. It takes a lot of work. Perhaps you should try it sometime and see for yourself.

"Rental investors" have driven the cost of living up dramatically in this city.

How do investors in rental apartment buildings drive up the cost of living? If anything the more supply the lower the cost of rent. See competition reference above.

I have many other words I can use that I won't use here. Let's just say I think there's a lot of greed in most landlords.

Greed? How so? Do you not seek to maximize the return on your investments? Are owners of Apple shares greedy for hoping their stock goes up? How about employees asking for a raise? Greed?

Immoral is buying up free stock of the human right to housing in order to make a cozy profit.
Wrong. Just plain wrong.

What the Legislation Won’t Do

1. It will not create an enforceable individual right to access housing:
During the development of the legislation, there was a debate as to whether the law would provide mechanisms for individuals to seek redress if they did not have access to housing. The legislation contains no specific mechanisms for individuals to seek out access to adequate housing; there will be no federal tribunals or bodies that will hear such cases. In this respect, the right is more of a collective right rather than a legally enforceable individualistic right.

I will relish her win, even if she wasn't my initial choice.

I respectfully disagree. I think she's a nice lady who probably thinks she's helping but will cause exponentially more harm to more people than any mayor in Toronto's history.

Biking as a hobby is fantastic! I love it! Bike lanes however are evil on major streets. They are very dangerous for cylcists and pedestrians. They are also bias in favor of young men essentially and an erornmous impediment to traffic flow. Bike lanes shuld be relegated to side streeets.
Stop trolling

"Young men" are proportionally more the ones who feel comfortable biking in the more dangerous situation out in traffic. Bike lanes make things more comfortable and safe for those non young men who tend to feel less comfortable in dangerous traffic.

You can wish people would just cycle as a hobby but that's also just complete denial of reality. People cycle to get around because they need to. There are bicycles on our streets and there will continue to be no matter how much you wish it weren't so. Not everyone can afford a car, insurance, parking first of all. I'm glad you're fortunate enough that you can. Also if everyone who needed to get around used a car that would more cars on the road creating traffic. With our population growing this will never be sustainable and cycling will only increase. People also cycle as part of their job (I hope you never order food delivery if you think cycling should just be a hobby).

This is just reality. If you think we can create a magic alternate reality where cycling is just a "hobby" that's just pure fantasy.

As for "side streets" being the place for lanes, I challenge you as well to please specify what realistic viable side street routes exist to our major corridors for instance Bloor street. I'd be interested to see your map and specifics around how it would work.

They should sell then.

Some will; some will ride it out and finance their losses. That's the beauty of an open market.
Good. Investor landlords are immoral.

Bad. Investors landlords provide essential product to a market. Who do you believe should own rental apartment buildings? The government?

Only one of those sells something that's a basic necessity.

Really? An functional smartphone isn't a basic necessity today? How about clothing? Food?

"Young men" are proportionally more the ones who feel comfortable biking in the more dangerous situation out in traffic. Bike lanes make things more comfortable and safe for those non young men who tend to feel less comfortable in dangerous traffic.

Incorrect. Biking on major streets is an enormously risky endeavor. Bike lanes on major streets intersect with traffic frequently and end up posing a greater risk than streets without them.
You can wish people would just cycle as a hobby but that's also just complete denial of reality. People cycle to get around because they need to.

Cycling should be illegal on major streets. I'm 100% in favor of bike lanes on side streets.
There are bicycles on our streets and there will continue to be no matter how much you wish it weren't so.
I'm in favor of cycling on streets. Just not major streets. It's too dangerous for cyclists and it slows down traffic to a crawl.
Not everyone can afford a car, insurance, parking first of all. I'm glad you're fortunate enough that you can.

Again, take the side streets or public transit. Public transit in Toronto is amazing.

Also if everyone who needed to get around used a car that would more cars on the road creating traffic. With our population growing this will never be sustainable and cycling will only increase. People also cycle as part of their job (I hope you never order food delivery if you think cycling should just be a hobby).

You can only cycle about 4-5 months a year in Toronto. The rest of the time the weather is too inclement.

This is just reality. If you think we can create a magic alternate reality where cycling is just a "hobby" that's just pure fantasy.

As for "side streets" being the place for lanes, I challenge you as well to please specify what realistic viable side street routes exist to our major corridors for instance Bloor street. I'd be interested to see your map and specifics around how it would work.

You should not cycle on Bloor at all! It is way too dangerous.

It's a real tell that in the middle of the worst housing crisis this city has seen in decades, investment landlords feel that they are the actual victims here.

Aren't all landlords "investment landlords"? Who is saying they're a victim? We will all be victims under a Chow administration, but the greatest victims, ironically, will be good tenants.

Incorrect. Biking on major streets is an enormously risky endeavor. Bike lanes on major streets intersect with traffic frequently and end up posing a greater risk than streets without them.

Cycling should be illegal on major streets. I'm 100% in favor of bike lanes on side streets.

I'm in favor of cycling on streets. Just not major streets. It's too dangerous for cyclists and it slows down traffic to a crawl.

Again, take the side streets or public transit. Public transit in Toronto is amazing.

You can only cycle about 4-5 months a year in Toronto. The rest of the time the weather is too inclement.

You should not cycle on Bloor at all! It is way too dangerous.
Guess what. Cyclists need to get places, because that’s what cycling is for. Sometimes that requires major roads rather than side streets that go nowhere.

What makes bike lanes dangerous? People driving cars dangerously. So how about we deal with that a d make alternative transportation better as so many large urban centres have done? A mayoral candidate focussing on that would have my support.

And a reminder that this is the by election thread so let’s get back to focussing on that.

Guess what. Cyclists need to get places, because that’s what cycling is for.
So do motorists. Bikes on major roads make it more difficult for them, more dangerous for pedestrians, and bikers themselves.

Sometimes that requires major roads rather than side streets that go nowhere.

That's too dangerous for everyone involved and clogs the streets.

What makes bike lanes dangerous? People driving cars dangerously.

No actually it's the fact that bikes veer in and out of the lanes and intersect with vehicle traffic. They are dedicated, they are only partial. And they take up too much space on major roads.

It’s time to rethink the concept of bike lanes as a safe space for cyclists. Why? Because it’s impossible to structure bike lanes without vehicles turning into these lanes to get to underground garages, above-ground parking lots, and to make right or left turns at intersections.

So how about we deal with that a d make alternative transportation better as so many large urban centres have done? A mayoral candidate focussing on that would have my support.

I'm in favor of improving public transportation. Bike lanes are a menace on major streets.

So do motorists. Bikes on major roads make it more difficult for them, more dangerous for pedestrians, and bikers themselves.

That's too dangerous for everyone involved and clogs the streets.

No actually it's the fact that bikes veer in and out of the lanes and intersect with vehicle traffic. They are dedicated, they are only partial. And they take up too much space on major roads.

I'm in favor of improving public transportation. Bike lanes are a menace on major streets.

This is all off-topic trolling. Nothing more or less.

This is all off-topic trolling. Nothing more or less.
It's appears that when you read things you don't agree with they are automatically labeled trolling. Might want to get that bad behavior checked out.

We were politely discussing Anthony Furey's campaign platform in the Toronto Mayoral Race forum.

It's appears that when you read things you don't agree with they are automatically labeled trolling.

I am well known as being among the most open-minded here and willing to entertain arguments and people with whom I disagree.

But the arguments must be made in good faith, by people of good faith, they must be germane to the topic of the thread and demonstrate some intelligible thought process.

That is not the case here. There is a cycling infrastructure thread here where you can post your widely discredited views that have been shown by evidence the world over to make no sense, those arguments have been had here before
and they were resoundingly exposed as ill-conceived before.

Your other arguments on other subjects are no less absurd, they are clearly designed to engage people in a flame war, and to degenerate a place of thoughtful discussion into the morass that is SkyscraperPage.

I'll pass thanks.

We were politely discussing Anthony Furey's campaign platform in the Toronto Mayoral Race forum.

This is inaccurate, you were baiting other members with comments you know to be infuriating and intellectually unsound.

Also, as Furey cannot be described as a credible contender at this juncture, I don't think his fringe views merit further examination.

Last edited:

Back