News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 379     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mainstreet Research
If that's the case: boy, Quito Maggi was trolling. (That is, this share for Olivia--or the rest, for that matter--isn't necessarily *that* much different from what would have been the case pre-announcement.)

Yes, it appears to be tight up there at the top, making turnout and the ground game even more important.

But imagine our next mayor winning with less than 20% of the vote? Not much of a mandate.

I expect one of two of these candidates to break through, but even that means winning with possibly 25% or so. Quite amazing.

Whatever happened to this wacko guy? "Vote for me and TTC will be free..." (what a joke!)
And what pays for it? "Well that's a conversation for another time..."
NO IT IS NOT!!! lol Either there is a way to make TTC free or there is not...this clown is just trying to get elected with no real way to pay for free TTC!

Latest Mainsteet poll.

1,082 respondents
Phone IVR
4/17-4/19

Decided voters:

Chow - 23%
Bailao - 19%
Matlow - 18%
Saunders - 14%
Hunter - 7%
Bradford - 7%

A snippet behind the paywall (all voters)

1682084804734.png

Last edited:
Nothing seems out of the ordinary for the weights. It's always harder to get younger respondents. More or less, if a subgroup is weighted up or down by more than a factor of two then that begins to raise some concerns.

A probability sample with roughly 1000 respondents has a margin of error at 50% is plus or minus 3% at the 95% level of confidence. At 15%, where most of the top candidates are sitting, the margin of error is closer to plus or minus 2% at the same level of confidence.

But, can a phone survey, whether conducted by live interviewer or by IVR really be considered a probability sample these days, where a probability survey means that every member of the target population has an equal chance of responding?

Edit: So, I would interpret the results more directionally. Currently, the top tier of candidates consists of Bailao/Matlow/Chow. Saunders is next, with Hunter/Bradford bringing up the tail. Chow seems to be more popular with older people, and is competing against Matlow for the Downtown. And the suburbs haven't coalesced behind a candidate.

Last edited:
Right wing voters always refer to the NDP as Communist or something of that nature. You need to understand that right wing voters despite the NDP with a passion.
IDK, in Alberta much of the right wing voted for the NDP, and given the nutbar they have for a premier now are likely to again. I've voted for both the Ford Cons (forgive my sins) and the Horvath Dippers.

IDK, in Alberta much of the right wing voted for the NDP, and given the nutbar they have for a premier now are likely to again. I've voted for both the Ford Cons (forgive my sins) and the Horvath Dippers.

I voted for Ford last election but only because I didn't like Horvath and wanted her gone.

Normally I vote NDP but if Andrea had got a high level of support she would have stayed on.

Back