News   Aug 02, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4.4K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.8K     4 

2022 43rd Ontario general election (June 2, 2022)

I feel like Stellantis is not going to be a going concern in 10 years...

Ahead of the Premier officially asking for dissolution of the legislature at 3pm today...........

Del Duca is out w/the Liberal environment platform.

Before we get into that............the NDP fired off a pretty notable zinger in reply thats getting some uptake...

1651583481053.png

The short version, from here: https://ontarioliberal.ca/environment-plan/

1651583555499.png

Looking at the details, I find the top 3 items very opaque, I'm not clear on any ability to deliver given a complete lack of specific actions.

On preserving land they are a bit clearer, but no map showing exactly what they would protect......

1651583749046.png

Where they are specific is a list of transit capital projects they would fund:

1651583881287.png

Note they have chosen to back the Sheppard Subway extension.

Ahead of the Premier officially asking for dissolution of the legislature at 3pm today...........

Before we get into that............the NDP fired off a pretty notable zinger in reply thats getting some uptake...

View attachment 397585

View attachment 397586

Looking at the details, I find the top 3 items very opaque, I'm not clear on any ability to deliver given a complete lack of specific actions.

On preserving land they are a bit clearer, but no map showing exactly what they would protect......

View attachment 397587

View attachment 397588

It appears that the Liberals are only catering to the urban voters.

It appears that the Liberals are only catering to the urban voters

The platform isn't overly Toronto-centric, but sure its focused more on urban areas than rural as every platform should be seeing as Ontario is more than 80% urban.

That's also clearly the base of Liberal support.

But out of curiousity what is it that you feel is missing or offensive to the rural voter there?

I noted in my post some things I take issue with, I'm certainly not a Liberal partisan; that said......I didn't read it as especially problematic for the more rural voter.

It appears that the Liberals are only catering to the urban voters.
What? You'd like promises of more small-town destroying Wal-Marts or something?

If anything, this is a decidedly *suburban* budget. I live downtown. I have feet. Making transit cheap isn't going to save me a whole lot of money, as I will gladly get the exercise and walk an 8km route to go get or do something.

It would however, save the commuter from Whitby to Yonge & Bloor a metric craptonne of money. It becomes $6 a day from the DRT nearest bus stop to their work and back. $120 a month.

Lets look at the current commuter costs, shall we?

Transit Commuter:
This is all taking into account the recent Ford Government announcement of zero fares for local transit to and from GO Stations. I would assume this would be scrapped were $1-a-ride to go into effect. It only affects DRT, because TTC wasn't included in that deal.

DRT ride to Whitby GO: $Free
GO ride from Whitby GO to Union Station: $342.15 for 40+ daily trips a month
TTC: $3.25 x 40 = $130.
$472.15 for 20 weekday commutes.
$1 transit rides saves that person $352.15 a month.

Car Commuter:
With the average gas mileage in Canada of 8.9L/100km, and the cheapest price for gas I can find in Whitby today (Pioneer: $181.4/L), the cost of a 2-way trip from Whitby city centre to Toronto city centre and back costs $18.70 in gas. That doesn't include gas wasted getting stuck in the rush hour jams, nor maintenance, depreciation from mileage, etc.
20 x $18.44 = $368.00

If they're lucky, they have a company-supplied spot. But if not, the cheapest they're going to be able to find is about $20/day.
20 x $20 = $400.00
Even if they don't have to pay for parking, they'd save at minimum $248 a month. Add in parking, and they're saving $648 a month.

Is sitting in a car stuck in a traffic jam pretending driving to work is faster really worth nearly $650 a month?

Expanding suburban service also requires additional investment in transit in general.

Again, this isn't an URBAN budget. Someone in Toronto paying for a metro pass ($143/month at cheapest) is saving at best $105.

Last edited:
The gatekeeping of the word "urban" around this issue sounds like the rhetoric used to define the famous "Middle Class", or "Working Families" as the favoured euphamaism goes in Ontario politics; it includes everyone you need it to include, only when you need it to include them to validate a message, and it excludes them when inconvenient as such.

Last edited:

View attachment 397585

View attachment 397586

View attachment 397587

View attachment 397588

HOW???

HOW DO THE LIBERALS HAVE A PLATFORM THAT IS MORE APPEALING THAN THE NDP?

Just... Just...

1651592086105.png

In all seriousness, something tells me most of this plan is drafted under the assumption that they won't win. Whilst I want to be optimistic and say they're being serious, many of the transit projects on here were discussed even back in 2008, and the fact that we're still discussing them and they keep appearing on platforms should speak volumes.

The platform isn't overly Toronto-centric, but sure its focused more on urban areas than rural as every platform should be seeing as Ontario is more than 80% urban.

That's also clearly the base of Liberal support.

But out of curiousity what is it that you feel is missing or offensive to the rural voter there?

I noted in my post some things I take issue with, I'm certainly not a Liberal partisan; that said......I didn't read it as especially problematic for the more rural voter.

The only party that is proposing infrastructure improvements in rural Ontario is the conservatives to some degree, thats what I have noticed.

But this "buck a ride" shenanigans is somthing I won't vote for as I rather they'd be investing in new rail corridors throughout rural Ontario, that's how you'll get people off the road, even if it has low ridership, who cares.

Just get it built and give us the different options for traveling around this province.

Anyone else sense that a lot of people are tuning out of this election? Maybe it's because we just had the federal election, or people are getting out of the house more following isolation. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a drop in turnout.

Anyone else sense that a lot of people are tuning out of this election? Maybe it's because we just had the federal election, or people are getting out of the house more following isolation. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a drop in turnout.
Definitely people are tuning it out. I think a big reason is that most people already know which way they will vote and nothing these candidates say will matter to them, which leads to number two; we probably have one of the worst crop of candidates and party leaders in a generation.

Last edited:
Its strange to me to see the discussion above based mostly around leader personality, rather than public policy.

Don't get me wrong, if you believe (and/or have evidence) that a leader is unlikely to deliver their stated policies that should absolutely factor into decision making on who to support; but if I trust someone, yet they deliver
the bad policy they promised, that doesn't work for me either.

Last edited:

Back