News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 579     0 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

I think the hour or more of high temperature fuel fires applied to them might have something to do with it too...
No doubt. I tend to creep TSB investigation reports (a little weird I will admit) and I don't think I've ever seen something similar. I imagine in this case it was a flammable product release caused by shrapnel but the cars staying upright on the rails, which is not typical in most rail incidents.

Ukrainian Intelligence claims these strikes were planned weeks ago in response to territorial losses. So this is not actually the response to the bridge. That may, or may not, come later.

This makes perfect sense. A reprisal; of this scale on this diverse a number of targets, some of low strategic value, suggests as much.

We've seen this sort of thing before, sic Moskva. It's really weak - reprisal attacks on clearly, and solely civilian targets in response to having their strategic link damaged - it meant that they had nothing. And if he think he will rattle the Ukrainians with that, he'd be out to lunch.

AoD

You know what I find odd...........

To expend that much military capital (over 80 missiles) , on a large number of targets that don't help you in the theatre of war.

The Russians have been pushed back aggressively by the Ukrainians (yay), but if you were the Russians, and you have missile power to spare........would it not be logical to do
to the Ukrainians what they are doing to you? ie. target their logistics, their fuel supplies, their food supplies, their ammo supplies, and their ability to reinforce their front lines?

Wasting finite resources on killing a few dozen civilians isn't merely morally suspect, its strategically absurd.

I mean great, that the Russians are hastening their own demise............but what a bizarre way to fight a war.

Last edited:
You know what I find odd...........

To expend that much military capital (over 80 missiles) , on a large number on targets that don't help you in the theatre of war.

The Russians have been pushed back aggressively by the Ukrainians (yay), but if you were the Russians, and you have missile power to spare........would it not be logical to do
to the Ukrainians what they are doing to you? ie. target their logistics, their fuel supplies, their food supplies, their ammo supplies, and their ability to reinforce their front lines?

Wasting finite resources on killing a few dozen civilians isn't merely morally suspect, its strategically absurd.

I mean great, that the Russians are hastening their own demise............but what a bizarre way to fight a war.
It really is baffling. Up there with the German's decision to blitz London, yet somehow even worse.

Outside of the immediate war push (which was still majorly flawed but deserves some credit for, I believe, nearly succeeding) there have been next to zero tactical or strategic decisions made by Russia. Putin has consistently been on the back foot and unwilling to do what is necessary because of the optics.

In fact if there was one way to describe this war, it would be that Putin's actions are based on optics and Ukraine's based on practicality. No wonder Ukraine is winning.

As a side note, I heard a snippet from an NPR podcast about the chance of Putin using nukes. They put the likelihood at between 10-20% which is astronomically high. I have no idea how they came to that number, because I personally would've put it at around 5% which even still is arguably alarmist, but if their numbers are right that's borderline unthinkable imo.

It really is baffling. Up there with the German's decision to blitz London, yet somehow even worse.

Is it really baffling? So much of this war has been performative, vengeful and cruel. And a lot of it is based on the belief that they can intimidate the Ukrainians into surrender and the West into cessation of support.

It's rather ignorant miscalculation. The Russian establishment, particularly Putin and fruitcakes like Dugin, seem to have this bizarre idea that they know us better than we know ourselves. And they have a strong assumption that Westerners are so weak and decadent that we will place material comfort ahead of our professed values.

Hopefully, this finally gets the shackles off on support for Ukraine. There's no real way to stop these strikes without fighters and missiles that can hit their bombers in the rear. Covering a country as large as Ukraine with air defence is impossible. They at least need the jets that will let them mount air patrols to intercept most of the incoming missiles.

Zooming out, we will need to start ramping up some of our defence investment, to send out a proper message to others lying in wait. If the takeaway is that it's only the US and UK that fight for the West, we're going to be in trouble.

More from the Guardian (which I believe has the best daily live thread tracking the war btw)

Ukraine’s energy minister, Herman Halushchenko, has told CNN that Russian missiles have hit roughly 30% of the country’s energy infrastructure since Monday.

This is clearly Russia's play. Destroy as much of Ukraine's energy infrastructure before winter. I suspect major bombardments will continue. Ukraine needs air defenses asap.

Here's an interesting take that was recommended to me by someone I trust on these matters. The thesis is that the hard choice period is about to arrive for Putin to either go nuclear or withdraw. They are rapidly exhausting their conventional weapons, and in either case a land war in the winter will be disastrous, for both sides, however for the Russian conscripts on occupied land relying on their supply chains for everything it will be brutal conditions. There are now two clear rivals who have felt bold enough to put themselves in at least a visible position to challenge him, which in itself would be shocking only twelve months ago, and perhaps they want to force the end, one way or the other.

(slightly edited quote - bolding is mine for emphasis)
Putin is now trapped by an event that was supposed to be televisual and about a faraway place, but which has taken on an immediate political form inside Russia. Two prominent Russian political figures, Ramzan Kadyrov and Yevgeny Prigozhin, have criticized the Russian high command quite brutally. Given that everyone knows that Putin is doing the actual commanding, this has to be divisive. The Kremlin responded to Kadyrov directly, and army propaganda has been showing a criticized commander with his troops in the field. By what I take to be no coincidence, both Kadyrov and Prigozhin control something like a private armed force.

Kadyrov, the de facto dictator of Russia's Chechnya region, has his own militia. It was deployed to Ukraine, where it seemed to specialize in terrorizing civilians and instagramming itself. After pushing for mobilization in Russia last month, Kadyrov then announced that no one from Chechnya would be mobilized. One might conclude that he is saving his men for something else.
Prigozhin is the leader of the murky mercenary entity Wagner, and has been making himself more visible in that capacity. Right now Wagner is leading the daily Russian attempts at offensives in the Bakhmut area of Donetsk region, which are not actually going anywhere. Wagner does not seem to be very active where the Ukrainians are advancing, which is rather more important. Yesterday Gulagu.net reported that a Wagner fighter shot a Russian army officer, which would seem to indicate that all is not well on that part of the front. Is it a stretch to suppose that Prigozhin is sparing whatever valuable men and material he has left? He has been openly recruiting Russian prisoners to fight for Wagner in Ukraine; I would venture the supposition that he is sending them to die and [he is] keeping back the men and equipment who might have a future in some other endeavor.
I take these reports with many grains of salt, but I think the possibility of an attempted coup d'etat in the next 6 months in Russia has increased from a very tiny percentage to a small percentage. Say from 1%, to now at 5%.

Last edited:
Coup not very likely. They are setting up to fight the war of succession when Putin eventually leaves.

1665589542548.png

The above got me wondering where the overall levels of foreign support for Ukraine are currently.

The most recent tracking list I can find is current to October 3rd, so would not include the above announcement, obviously.

1665589751403.png

What's interesting here is there is another graph that shows money out of the door vs announced and Canada's rank is higher:

1665590010213.png

Of note, as measured by % GDP Canada has given the amount as the U.S. at 0.2%

The above got me wondering where the overall levels of foreign support for Ukraine are currently.

The most recent tracking list I can find is current to October 3rd, so would not include the above announcement, obviously.

View attachment 432218

What's interesting here is there is another graph that shows money out of the door vs announced and Canada's rank is higher:

View attachment 432219

Of note, as measured by % GDP Canada has given the amount as the U.S. at 0.2%

I am happy with Canada's level of support. We need to be doing more to build up our own military however.

Back