News   Jul 26, 2024
 991     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.7K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.5K     3 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

I think Tory and Ford are mostly compatible on the transit matters, any differences negotiable.

The risk here is that they pick a fight over something unrelated to transit, and then it affects everything including transit. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

On the transit front I think a lot of EA consultants, architects and NIMBY groups will be screaming for the next year. Doug Ford will likely want things built vs studied to death. And utilitarian vs a $1b bus station.

Which is what we need right now. We have too many plans and not enough construction workers on the transit files

If McCowan station and Lawrence East gets built, do we really need that big of a bus station? I would think not

It'd still be big to accommodate GO and intercity buses, as well as six or seven local routes (9 Bellamy, 16 McCowan, 21 Brimley, 38 Highland Creek, 95 York Mills, 134 Progress, possibly 132 Milner and the 43B branch) , but it'd be about the size of Don Mills Station's bus terminal or the current STC terminal.

You'd lose several current TTC routes (130 Middlefield, 131 Nugget, 169 Huntingwood, the 190 and 199 Rockets, possibly 129 McCowan North) and some additional bus passengers to the Lawrence East and Sheppard East stations.

Fire up those new briefing books...

https://twitter.com/GeoffZochodne/status/1006264377912250368

2JIwuh3

What I want in the new Minister of Transportation:

1. NOT a car dealer. Like back in time during Doug Ford Sr.'s one term as backbencher, when we had Al Palladini (a car dealer) as Minister of Transportation. We all know how bad that turned out.
  2. Someone who actually takes public transit regularly. Not just for photo ops.
  3. Someone who can read. Especially with big words contained in reports.
  4. Someone who can listen. Especially with people who are in the ministry and experts in the field.
  5. Someone who can say "no" on occasion to the Premier.
No surprises to me if this doesn't happen.

1. NOT a car dealer. Like back in time during Doug Ford Sr.'s one term as backbencher, when we had Al Palladini (a car dealer) as Minister of Transportation. We all know how bad that turned out.
  4. Someone who can listen. Especially with people who are in the ministry and experts in the field.

Maybe 4 years from now!

]

- But you also need someone who also drives regularly as they are responsible for the tens of thousands of km's of roads.
- Do you want someone that used to ride transit or someone who rides transit to Queens Park? If the later I think you are SOL.
- For #3 and #4 the problem with many Ministries is they have been stacked with Liberal "friends" and yes-men (I mean persons) for the past 15 years. So there are only a few grey hairs left that have any backbone. You really need a Minister than can weed out the b.s. and self-serving documents that they have produced for these last 15 years.
- you end up with a list of people that have used GO-train on a fairly recurring basis to get to the financial district and not many others.

My guess is still Mulroney. But if she gets a higher profile ministry then its a big question mark. The good news is that not every Tom, Dick and Harry will be a cabinet Minster (per various sources). Expect only 12 Minister's (versus 30 in Wynne's gov't which created a horrible mess at meetings...nothing could get done which lead to Wynne's un-elected office making all the decisions)

I would bet money that most Liberal and NDP MPPs would not meet these criteria either. The PCs may be only marginally worse on this. The real issues isn't the transport minister. It's Premier and the Finance Minister. How much are they willing to put towards transit?

.nothing could get done which lead to Wynne's un-elected office making all the decisions

That was a feature, not a bug, to them.

I would bet money that most Liberal and NDP MPPs would not meet these criteria either. The PCs may be only marginally worse on this. The real issues isn't the transport minister. It's Premier and the Finance Minister. How much are they willing to put towards transit?

That's my checklist for anyone who makes decisions on transit. That includes the board members of the Toronto Transit Commission, where most members doesn't check off most of my points.

Indeed, efficient too. Few Ontario governments have passed as much legislation as Wynne's government; much of it non-trivial in nature.

Of course, not everybody agreed with the content that was passed.

Last edited:

The issue isn't merely who will be the ministers - but what kind of a relationship they will have with the bureaucracy and how they will listen to its' advice (or not):

The final surprise is how parties in government have contributed to this slide in our politics from civility, intelligence, and an understanding that an opponent is not a blood enemy. The Harris government ripped the brains out of the Ontario public service very deliberately. As one veteran of the era reflected to me sadly, “We went from thinking and advising to being shouted at and marked on task implementation. More of us should have quit.”

The Liberals continued the dumbing down, replacing policy expertise within the OPS with kids from local campaigns anointed as “senior policy advisers” in ministers’ office, often paid six figure salaries.
The McGuinty government increased the “short pants set” significantly after firing most of those it inherited from the Harris years. The Wynne government took the process to the lowest level ever with 578 [sic] tax paid, politically exempt staff members at the time of its defeat. There were ministers being served by no less than 25 kids carrying hilariously grand-eloquent titles for people only a few years out of school. This is not only an abuse of taxpayers dollars, it is a dumb way to run a government.

You do not get continuity, or the best advice. You do not get well-researched options to choose from. You get communications strategies for launch day that in granular detail ensure that the premier will shine.

This premier’s own communications staff were the laughing stock of their peers across Canada for their obsession with backdrops, and colour, and guest diversity over content and meaning.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/sta...vis-ontario-turns-its-lonely-eyes-to-you.html

(disclaimer - bias of the commentator notwithstanding, the NDP was hardly innocent in this; in fact, it might have been one of the first to push aside the bureaucracy over distrust - though not necessarily to the same level as later governments).

AoD

Last edited:

Great article. Thanks for posting.

It's been dismaying to see the intense politicization of the public service. It's now happening at all three levels of government with parties on the left and right. Nobody is innocent. The same Trudeau who vocally opposed Harper muzzling climatologist, muzzles hundreds of military officers and procurement staff on one of the largest procurements in the country's history, with nary a peep from Liberals. And where were those who decried Rob Ford's push for subways, when Miller tossed out Network 2011? The right is more brazen about ignoring advice. But the left is hardly innocent. And as a result, Canadians aren't actually being substantially served with evidence based decision-making. What they are getting is evidence based decisions when it suits the political narrative of the government of the day. And often then with some heavily censored data or caveated advice. I hope we see more Canadians pressing governments to accept the apolitical advice of the bureaucracy. Long shot. I know.

Back