News   Apr 26, 2024
 45     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 132     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 561     0 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

I didn't even mention defunding the CBC so stop putting words in my mouth. The polls also predicted Hillary Clinton would win. It's fun when a media source agrees with your views, but it's good to move outside filter bubbles.
Especially when it's a poll of one claiming to speak for everyone else:
but doesn't represent the views of a substantial portion of said public.
If that's a fact, and not a poll, then please post reference.

Were subways to Pickering and Markham and others part of anyone's platform?

Cause we are getting them it seems.

https://twitter.com/NEWSTALK1010/status/1009831701839863811
Is Regional Express Rail enclosed considered a subway? So if Doug Ford really wants Markham and Pickering to have subways to Downtown Toronto, they can just have the Stouffville and Lakeshore East GO Lines be in "tunnels" while still being above ground.

Cause we are getting them it seems.

https://twitter.com/NEWSTALK1010/status/1009831701839863811

Is Regional Express Rail enclosed considered a subway? So if Doug Ford really wants Markham and Pickering to have subways to Downtown Toronto, they can just have the Stouffville and Lakeshore East GO Lines be in "tunnels" while still being above ground.

I'm honestly hoping he's just committing to RER here but under the name of "subway" or "rapid transit", which is actually great if this is the case because it means they will build RER, and to a level that's similar to that of Tokyo JR east lines like the Keihin Tohoku line (with smaller trains of course). He has nothing to lose here because it's grade separated, he's taking credit for the Liberal agenda, and he might be making things better for everyone.

I'm honestly hoping he's just committing to RER here but under the name of "subway" or "rapid transit", which is actually great if this is the case because it means they will build RER, and to a level that's similar to that of Tokyo JR east lines like the Keihin Tohoku line (with smaller trains of course). He has nothing to lose here because it's grade separated, he's taking credit for the Liberal agenda, and he might be making things better for everyone.
mmmmm.....he specifically mentions that they are scrapping plans to build clunky old technology like LRT which just rips up two lanes of traffic and clogs everything up.....right in the video as he talks about, instead, building modern underground subways.....and how people in Pickering and Markham (and other areas) will be able to just hop on the subway.

I think that a) he has no idea what Regional Express is/was.....b) has no idea what the planned tech to link places like Markham and Pickering to Toronto is/was....c) knows only that subways win him votes......so we get more subways subways subways.

This should be a very scary video for people who envision a functional regional transportation plan.......I think hopes for that just left the station!

mmmmm.....he specifically mentions that they are scrapping plans to build clunky old technology like LRT which just rips up two lanes of traffic and clogs everything up.....right in the video as he talks about, instead, building modern underground subways.....and how people in Pickering and Markham (and other areas) will be able to just hop on the subway.

I think that a) he has no idea what Regional Express is/was.....b) has no idea what the planned tech to link places like Markham and Pickering to Toronto is/was....c) knows only that subways win him votes......so we get more subways subways subways.

This should be a very scary video for people who envision a functional regional transportation plan.......I think hopes for that just left the station!
Let's just hope that there are some people in his government that will make the link and tell him that 5 Minute Electrified GO service is a subway.

Let's just hope that there are some people in his government that will make the link and tell him that 5 Minute Electrified GO service is a subway.
Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear from the supposedly moderate and intelligent PCs that we were promised would form a large part of the party, but then we've already had GreenON cancelled, electric car rebates are planned to be wiped, massive prov. revenue from cap and trade is set to be thrown away, and nothing concrete on the DRL, which is needed for Canada's economic engine. Is anyone in the party really going to keep Doug Ford in check?

Insane.

If you listen to the video, pretty much the entire rationale is to clear space for cars lol.

For all the bluster, the Ford government could set sensible transit planning and expansion back in the GTA by decades.

I also find it interesting he and his brother never mention(ed) subways in Etobicoke and Mississauga.

well, they are not subways but they are rapid transit....and it is the rapid part that matters. What 5 minute Electrified GO is, though, is overkill. The reality is that if all of our GO corridors had daily service that filled the rush hour need and provided bi-directional service in a 15 - 30 minute frequency range in off peak times (mid day, evening, weekends, holidays) that would be plenty of service...plenty.

Anyone suggesting we need to get to 5 minute frequencies to places like Pickering/Brampton/Markham is guilty of overbuilding/overspending as much as Dougie is with his subway plan.

The subway to Markham (remember that the NE corner of Steeles and Yonge is in Markham) was in everyone's platform.

A subway extension to Pickering would be about 20-km to Brock Road. Even I don't think Doug Ford is THAT stupid! Though I do have a bad habit of being overly positive about things.

The subway to Markham (remember that the NE corner of Steeles and Yonge is in Markham) was in everyone's platform.

Yeah, I guess we picture Markham a different way but you can't actually get the Yonge Subway to Richmond Hill without it getting to Markham.

A subway extension to Pickering would be about 20-km to Brock Road. Even I don't think Doug Ford is THAT stupid! Though I do have a bad habit of being overly positive about things.

You have a horrible habit of being too kind/optimistic to the Fords ;) :)

Back