News   Jul 16, 2024
 0     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 241     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 998     3 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

Effectively Ford's transit plan is "upload the subway, build the sheppard subway and eglinton underground".

What I effectively see happening is that Eglinton East will remain mostly at grade, perhaps with a few more grade separations at major intersections, with Eglinton West becoming an elevated fully grade separated line, maybe with some partial tunnels, much like the city is currently planning.

And of course, the Sheppard subway.

Effectively Ford's transit plan is "upload the subway, build the sheppard subway and eglinton underground".

What I effectively see happening is that Eglinton East will remain mostly at grade, perhaps with a few more grade separations at major intersections, with Eglinton West becoming an elevated fully grade separated line, maybe with some partial tunnels, much like the city is currently planning.

And of course, the Sheppard subway.

If I had my way, there would be a few more grade separations: at Leslie Street - to bring fully-grade-separated transit as far as Don Mills Road, and at Victoria Park/Eglinton Square with a below-grade station. That would eliminate two potential bottlenecks. But we’re well past the point where we can do anything about Leslie, and about to get to the point that we can’t do anything about Victoria Park.

The entry to Kennedy Station will be grade separated already, including running under the Kennedy/Eglinton intersection (and making the Ionview stop actually worthwhile). Work is now well underway on that section.

But obsession about Scarborough subways is maddening.

Phase 1 of Eglinton is too far gone to modify.

East of Kennedy is still easily modifiable however - Perhaps keep the line underground until past Midland, dip it under the Danforth/Brimley area, and an underground section to allow it to turn onto Kingston Road.

West could see lots of relatively easy grade separations - keeping it entirely grade separated probably wouldn't be a horrible idea anyway.

^Keeping it entrily grade separated is not an issue unless we make it one. I believe elevated would be the preferable option since it would be the cheapest way to grade separate the line. First the city needs to stop acting like elevated is a bad thing.

If I had my way, there would be a few more grade separations: at Leslie Street - to bring fully-grade-separated transit as far as Don Mills Road, and at Victoria Park/Eglinton Square with a below-grade station. That would eliminate two potential bottlenecks. But we’re well past the point where we can do anything about Leslie, and about to get to the point that we can’t do anything about Victoria Park.

The entry to Kennedy Station will be grade separated already, including running under the Kennedy/Eglinton intersection (and making the Ionview stop actually worthwhile). Work is now well underway on that section.

But obsession about Scarborough subways is maddening.

It should be too late to fix these design mistakes anyway . The bottlenecks extends even further east of Vic park. Ford is just going to play off the frustration of people who live in these direct areas who are upset and rightfully so. Even you agree to some extent as you see it. I really don't think this line can be stopped at this stage and I'm personally ok as it will still provide great benefit to UTSC or Malvern and priority area in between and time to move forward and fix what can be done like adding stops to the SSE but it certainly could have been better with greater attention to detail.

The bigger issues here is the obsession to hack Scarborough Centre and Sheppard into our network against such heavy Scarborough wide support. That is maddening to most here.

Last edited:
Apparently the PC transport critic, Rod Phillips, confirmed on an upcoming TVO segment that the PCs support RER. Specifically, Paiken asked which projects that the Liberals support that the PCs also support, and RER was listed.

Apparently the PC transport critic, Rod Phillips, confirmed on an upcoming TVO segment that the PCs support RER. Specifically, Paiken asked which projects that the Liberals support that the PCs also support, and RER was listed.
Regional Express Rail can contain many aspects. Whether it includes Electrification, Triple Tracking, Local and Express Trains, 15 minute or better, two-way all-day, and Fare Integration are all up to interpretation.

Back