News   May 01, 2024
 536     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 235     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 311     0 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

The Liberals have had 15 years to build the DRL and did nothing. Reelect them and four years from now the DRL will still not be shovel ready. Meanwhile Sheppard East and Scarborough languishes for better transit and gets told to accept a streetcar-like service or eat cake. Subway's too good for y'all.

This is why Ford is resonating with all of Scarborough and most of North York based on riding seat projections, he's the only one of the three leaders speaking their language. And it's an appealing message for any suburban Ontarian to hear. Elect Doug and infrastructure spending will influx into your riding to build what you, the people, want, not what some elitist in Queen's Park dictates.

You can blame the Ford's for that, entirely. The province had a fully funded new line ready for Scarborough nearly a decade ago. The Ford's decided to play identity politics, and the province went along with whatever they wanted.

What promises did the Ford brothers keep when they were in City Hall?

There are currently transit projects in the GTA and around the province that are either complete, funded or being planned.

The Liberals may waver, but I have far more trust in them to fund transit than I do Ford, who promises the moon and stars to everyone but can provide no real answers to anyone.

You can blame the Ford's for that, entirely. The province had a fully funded new line ready for Scarborough nearly a decade ago. The Ford's decided to play identity politics, and the province went along with whatever they wanted.

What promises did the Ford brothers keep when they were in City Hall?

There are currently transit projects in the GTA and around the province that are either complete, funded or being planned.

The Liberals may waver, but I have far more trust in them to fund transit than I do Ford, who promises the moon and stars to everyone but can provide no real answers to anyone.

McGuinty was the one who cut back the funding on an already heavily flawed, low (Scarborough) supported transfer LRT plan. Sure, blame Ford for stating the obvious and supporting the people as a main transit platform item. He faced alot of outside opposition at council to implement better connections to SCC which was a front line agenda item in his platform to remove the transfers.

We may or may not get to see what Doug can actually do with a majority as some predictions have suggested is very possible? Who know for sure if he'll win but things are looking very possible and even if he was to have minority the Liberals for the most part support his transit proposals and unlike dealing with the opposition from certain outside Councillors at City council he will likely be able to get more accomplished. No matter what side your on its clear the The Liberals have been historically very weak in their stances and it may cost them some ground to Ford who has been clear and quite upfront about his transit priorities which align with most residents here.

Last edited:
a white, male, anti-gay government.

Setting aside the anti-gay, are you implying there's something wrong with the rest? You know, sometimes you make strong posts that are on topic and informative, and then you go out and ruin everything with regressive rhetoric like this. In the states, this kind of rhetoric was a major contributing factor to Trump winning. It's extra funny (and sad and cringe worthy) when it's liberal white people who are the most vehement with this rhetoric. Ironically, they got something resembling the opposite of what they wanted. Seems like when you attack people on the basis of their sex or colour, they push back against you, who would have thought?

Of course they don't believe it.

Everyone is well aware that the pathological lying addict isn't going to be good for transit. Those that shill for him simply want a white, male, anti-gay government.

How many times would one be fooled by blatant lies?
Yes. 40% of ontario is currently planning on voting conservative because they hate gays. That must be it. No other explanation.

Do you even listen to yourself sometimes?

Yes. 40% of ontario is currently planning on voting conservative because they hate gays. That must be it. No other explanation.

Do you even listen to yourself sometimes?

"Everyone" As in the leader with likely the most culturally diverse voter base in the City of Toronto. Don't get me wrong there are reasons not to like about the guy or some of his policies. But the capitulating derangement of some is fascinating to witness. Personally I see Fords lies as a bit more obvious and his stances (better or worse) much more direct to the voters, where someone like Wynne uses a high degree of identity politics to mask her lies and bigger internal issues. This resonates with some to the point we don't even discuss real issues as much as personal attacks.

Last edited:
well regardless.... considering that hes going on with subways subways subways as first priority, you can kiss alot of the surface projects goodbye...
seriously what is with the fetish on subways....there are better ways to do it and more pressing priorities for the region not just for ttc...
his underground crusade will bring us back to square one just like his late brother did.
Perhaps literally, by the end of this.

Personally I see Fords lies as a bit more obvious and his stances (better or worse) much more direct to the voters, where someone like Wynne uses a high degree of identity politics to mask her lies and bigger internal issues. This resonates with some to the point we don't even discuss real issues as much as personal attacks.

I agree in general, but beneath that veneer of being for every "little guy" (I'm not going to dwell on the gender of that term), there are words and actions that suggest that Ford's inclusivity and his field of vision is suspect. For instance, how often has he been to the Pride parade in the last decade?

Is there a difference between knowing the truth, but finding it inconvenient, so saying something untrue but self serving instead (Wynne) versus not knowing the answer, and saying something self serving without knowing if it's true (Ford)? I'm not sure. Neither is being cavalier, and both are thinking on some level of what will get them the most favour. Six of one, half dozen of the other, both disrespectful to the voters.

I actually liked Rob better than Doug, because his fibs were so authentic and sincere that they were obvious. Heck, he laughed at some of them. Doug is far more dangerous in that regard - he can keep a poker face. Of course Wynne is beneath respect in this area, so it's a fair contest. But not a very attractive choice.

Maybe the voter is the one being a bit precious. Maybe there isn't supposed to be a candidate that is head and shoulders above the other. Maybe the voter has to choose between one flawed candidate and another.

- Paul

I know you hate Doug Ford, but you should hate the Liberals more: its their incompetence that has allowed Ford to rise to his position.

Had they done a better job of running the province Ford wouldn't even have a sniff at Premiere.
What incompetence? They don't spend infrastructure funds fast enough I'll admit - part of the reason the budget deficit is always lower than forecast.

But booming economy, taxes down, wages up, record employment, low interest rates, low inflation, highest employment in 20 years.

That's incompetence?

No ... the issue here is extreme bigots in the right-wing can't handle a gay Premier. Look at who orchestrated Doug's rise to power. An evangelical "Christian" by the name of Charles McVety, who has long been criticized for his extreme homophobia.

Not an issue here, as I can't imagine anyone being ignorant enough to vote for Ford based on Transit! LOL! But really, who'd reward such bigotry!

Spreading fake news about incompetence only plays into the hands of such evil bigots. You are better than that.

Are there any rules preventing Councillors from using City letterhead to smear a Provincial Government candidate?
Let's hope not. Telling the truth about such an incompetent buffoon isn't smearing!

City councillors are probably the best person to speak out about Doug Ford's gross incompetence, for they had to sit there, while he was clearly unable to read the reports in front of him, asking questions about transit lines that made no sense.

If Doug Ford can even read, his reading level seems quite low. Perhaps part of the reason he dropped out of High School in grade 11 to start his decade of drug dealing.

A Google search says he went to Humber and Carleton.
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 10.15.10 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 10.15.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 10.15.10 PM.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 666
But is that vetted for accuracy? Because "went to" could just mean he stopped by the campus on the way to a Sens game. In the days before computerized transcripts one could probably get to December at a post-secondary without anyone seeing a copy of your high school transcript. And I recall Rob pulling 'a few courses shy of graduating' university, which turned out to mean dropping out of first-year. Twice, I believe.

A Google search says he went to Humber and Carleton.
How bizarre - there's little to back that up I can see, other than a throwaway line, in a somewhat suspect old Sun article. And even then, no indication that he ever graduated from either high school, college, or university. I wonder if somone is conflating Doug and Rob's education history.

And what is driving that Google result - it doesn't come from Wikipedia?

Back