News   Jul 16, 2024
 50     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 252     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

I was at the Transportation Futures debate today, and I can confirm at all 3 major parties would continue the GTHA transit plans. I can confirm that Rod Phillips (PC) said that the Finch West LRT contract was signed, so they'd continue it. Glad financial close happened in the knick of time.

Where the PCs differed was that they'd let Hamilton decide what to do with their $1 billion in transit funding (LRT, BRT, or busses), they'd close the "Scarborough loop" by extending the Sheppard Subway to meet up with a 3-stop Scarborough Subway, and they don't see Waterfront transit as a priority. I'm mad about that last one, as well as the subways subways subways rhetoric. PC candidate Rod Phillips also used the "two tier" transit line, referring to subways vs LRT in Scarborough. He seemed generally knowledgeable

Last edited:
^ This debate was excellent, whereas the leaders' debates have been abysmal. For the most part, this was a discussion between adults. Del Duca was actually lucid and tolerable, and very well informed...not surprisingly. Rod Phillips for the most part was reasonable and aware of issues. He's not going to last long if Ford gets elected though, he makes too much sense. One of the better performances by Jessica Bell, although like the others, she did get caught up in having to tout the NDP's platform, and to me, a very impressive performance by Tim Grant. Grant had the advantage of being able to expound better ways and present comparisons by not having baggage in the way of political ideology. I have to disagree with both he and Bell on P3 financing however. Yes Ontario has made a mess of P3 in a number of cases, but it's worked incredibly well in other very progressive nations far more ahead with transit than Ontario. The devil is in the details.

Highly recommend watching it, the Twitter source is still active, just checked.

And of course, the real winner, as always, is Steve Paikin. What a provincial treasure he is...highly informed on his topics, and interjected with questions no one else would ask.

^ This debate was excellent, whereas the leaders' debates have been abysmal. For the most part, this was a discussion between adults. Del Duca was actually lucid and tolerable, and very well informed...not surprisingly. Rod Phillips for the most part was reasonable and aware of issues. He's not going to last long if Ford gets elected though, he makes too much sense. One of the better performances by Jessica Bell, although like the others, she did get caught up in having to tout the NDP's platform, and to me, a very impressive performance by Tim Grant. Grant had the advantage of being able to expound better ways and present comparisons by not having baggage in the way of political ideology. I have to disagree with both he and Bell on P3 financing however. Yes Ontario has made a mess of P3 in a number of cases, but it's worked incredibly well in other very progressive nations far more ahead with transit than Ontario. The devil is in the details.

And of course, the real winner, as always, is Steve Paikin. What a provincial treasure he is...highly informed on his topics, and interjected with questions no one else would ask.
You mean all parties have wrong leaders?

Paikan is far better than most to be sure.

Though, he too is not free from bias, it does show from time to time, though its surely subconscious on his part and speaks to growing up in a certain lifestyle.

He does make a genuine effort though, and that is much appreciated.

Of course he is also limited or enhanced by the quality of his guests.

The segment tonight on mental health was excellent, thoughtful, offering similar yet varied views and evidence in discussion of proposed and potential policy ideas.

The segment on dental care was so awful..........the woman, rep'ing the Dental Association came w/her narrow talking points and little else to offer and Steve didn't have the requisite info to elicit better answers.......though I'm not sure they would have been on offer from the woman in question, and much more effort in assembling a thoughtful panel was required.

You mean all parties have wrong leaders?
I mean the leaders' debates so far have been abysmal. I don't even need to comment on the limitations of the leaders themselves. Ontario, and it's not alone, has a real deficit in leadership at this time.

My point is that this debate showed what a well-moderated and well behaved and informed candidates meeting can look like, and produce answers that we're just not getting from the leaders....a good part because the leaders just don't know. I was impressed by the quality of most of the discussion. I watched all 90 minutes of it because of the quality of discussion.

I can't last ten minutes watching the Three Stooges throwing dung at each other. I want answers, and this produced many. Again, I think the answers offered might cause problems for the party platform orthodoxy because many were well-considered and with sensible provisos added when a definitive answer wasn't possible.

It's refreshing and reassuring to hear candidates say "I don't know the exact answer to that, but be aware of this...".

Last edited:

Why was Del Duca there? he's not the Minister of Transportation.

If I had my way, there would be a few more grade separations: at Leslie Street - to bring fully-grade-separated transit as far as Don Mills Road, and at Victoria Park/Eglinton Square with a below-grade station. That would eliminate two potential bottlenecks. But we’re well past the point where we can do anything about Leslie, and about to get to the point that we can’t do anything about Victoria Park.

The entry to Kennedy Station will be grade separated already, including running under the Kennedy/Eglinton intersection (and making the Ionview stop actually worthwhile). Work is now well underway on that section.

But obsession about Scarborough subways is maddening.
Won't the DVP ramps also be a bottleneck?

I thought it was written that the PC's sent their Transportation Critic.

Current Transportation Critic is Michael Harris who was recently discredited due to a sexting scandal (only to be replaced by Mike Harris Jr. as the local candidate).

NDP on HSR:

Paul Wells @InklessPW
1h

Asked about the Liberals saying they alone support high speed rail, Horwath says she'll continue all environmental assessments underway and "open them to consider other possibilities" but she's also worried about protecting farmland and spreading benefits throughout the region.

Back