News   Jul 12, 2024
 989     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 857     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 348     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I find this statement interesting:
Because the Tories believe the Liberals are concealing a budget deficit, they will not balance the books of a Brown government until the second year of their mandate.

Once back in the black, they plan to earmark $1 billion toward paying down Ontario’s $311.9-billion provincial debt.

I find taking over the subway intriguing and also suspect- I would rather upload the entire TTC plus all other municipal transit systems to Metrolinx rather than dismembering the TTC, as it operates better as an unified system.

I think this plank will depend on how willing the city is in giving up the subway system, but it's not a do-or-die element of the PC platform. The main bread and butter will always be the financial/economic/taxation promises- transit is an attempt to get into the 416 region

Overall, a fairly moderate platform in a general glance (no slashing of services)- the details and exclusions will prove the slant.

More general convention notes here:
https://convention.ontariopc.ca/recommended_policy_resolutions

All the transit/infrastructure related ones below:
R25. PC Party policy is to move forward with transit and transportation infrastructure across the province to provide improved movement of goods and people through the most cost-efficient and integrated results-based planning for our current transit, rail, and road network
R26.PC Party policy is to streamline the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (MCEA) process to help municipalities implement routine infrastructure projects faster and target their scarce funding dollars to actual project work without sacrificing environmental protections
R27. PC Party policy is to end the wait and delay and complete the environmental assessment (EA) for the GTA West Corridor
R28. PC Party policy is to provide infrastructure funding stability by providing provincial gas tax revenue for all municipalities
R29. PC Party policy is to make an outstanding customer experience that drives ridership growth a key focus for improving and expanding provincially-funded transportation and public transit infrastructure
R55. PC Party policy is to ensure rigorous government oversight and transparency of all provincial infrastructure projects to protect taxpayers
R56. PC Party policy is to ensure innovative funding, and private sector expertise is used to make infrastructure investments more affordable and sustainable for taxpayers
R87. PC Party policy is to support leveraging provincial assets by selling air rights over provincially owned buildings such as GO and LRT stations where demand is outstripping supply
R89. PC Party policy is to develop a rolling four-year municipal infrastructure funding commitment so municipalities can more confidently plan for needed capital works investments
R90. PC Party policy is to leverage technology and consumer choice to improve the movement of goods and people
R91. PC Party policy is to commit to effective transit and transportation solutions that enable seamless collaboration between tech hubs, academic institutions, and operations throughout the Toronto-Waterloo innovation corridor

Last edited:
I find this statement interesting:

I find taking over the subway intriguing and also suspect- I would rather upload the entire TTC plus all other municipal transit systems to Metrolinx rather than dismembering the TTC, as it operates better as an unified system.
I somehow don't think the province should take over bus systems in North Bay, Ingersoll, or Wawa. The model works perfectly fine with highways. The province owns the major highways, be it the 400 series highways or other Kings highways (11, 7' 17, etc), and the municipalities connect to them at interchanges or certain intersections.

Any proposal to cut taxes to that extent, in a province where per capita taxes and expenses are among the lowest in Canada already, will inevitably mean service cuts in health, education, and/or social services. That no such cuts are currently proposed is irrelevant.

For me the bigger story here is their promise to expedite the DRL. I'm surprised that isn't being met with more applause on this forum.

Uploading the Subway? That's something only transit nerds will care about.

I think people are showing a bias for the Liberals on that front. Which is funny considering the way this Liberal government over-promises and under-delivers on transit all the time.

I guess people like Del Duca press conferences promising more studies.

For me the bigger story here is their promise to expedite the DRL. I'm surprised that isn't being met with more applause on this forum.

I think people are showing a bias for the Liberals on that front. Which is funny considering the way this Liberal government over-promises and under-delivers on transit all the time.

I don't think the bias is so much for the Liberals as it is against the Conservatives. Their policies and their actions have proven detrimental to Toronto in the past.

Was that promised though?

The article seems to suggest that this is something they could possibly do, not that it was actually a promise in their platform.

This seems like a winning platform so far.

If the province pays for subways does that mean they get to dictate where they go? I see that as a huge political advantage for them.

I was a high school student when the PC's were last in power. There were two strikes, one with the teachers and one with the janitors. The latter was quite disgusting and they had to close a bathroom because it got too filthy. If they do win the next election, I would hope that they don't follow that path.

Isn't the subway the only part of our system that breaks even/turns a profit? This doesn't sound like a good deal for Toronto.
Platform says that TTC/city keeps the fare box. Province will pay for the development and upkeep of all subway stations and lines.

Could not ask for more

This would allow Toronto to be the modern city of ideas and employment which perhaps many here see as an ideal. It should be a huge wealth generator for the province I believe. Changing the transportation infrastructure that significantly would be a huge game changer for us all.

Last edited:
Same could be said about Kathleen Wynne. Where's our "subway champion" now five years out after we were promised shovels in the ground in Scarborough?

They purpose of the subway was just to get your vote. Whether the Liberals ever get around to actually building it is not as important to them.

Back