News   Jul 12, 2024
 841     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 752     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Hydro rate cut will ultimately cost $21B, watchdog warns

The Liberal government’s “Fair Hydro Plan,” which lowers electricity bills by 25 per cent, will ultimately zap Ontarians to the tune of $21 billion over the next three decades, the province’s budget watchdog has found.

It’s a short-term hydro bill gain in exchange for longer term fiscal pain.
The Liberal government’s “Fair Hydro Plan,” which lowers electricity bills by 25 per cent, will ultimately zap Ontarians to the tune of $21 billion over the next three decades, the province’s budget watchdog has found.

In a 15-page report released Wednesday, Financial Accountability Officer Stephen LeClair said the scheme will cost the province $45 billion over the next 29 years while saving ratepayers $24 billion for a $21 billion net expense.

But LeClair warned his estimates are only applicable if “the province is able to achieve and maintain a balanced budget over 20 years.”

Finance Minister Charles Sousa only balanced the books last month after nine years of deficits.

The average monthly hydro bill is now $156 per household and the 25 per cent rate cut will lower the average this year to $123.
Thibeault likened it to “refinancing a mortgage” to have lower payments now while acknowledging additional interest payments over the longer term.

Under the plan, any rate increases would be held at the rate of inflation — about 2 per cent — over the next four years.

However, a leaked cabinet document obtained by the Tories — and dismissed by the Liberals as an early draft of the plan — said rates would rise steeply, starting with 6.5 per cent in 2022 and topping out at 10.5 per cent in 2028, when average monthly bills should be $215.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...-will-ultimately-cost-21b-watchdog-warns.html

Contrast that to Scheer's election within the Federal wing. Night and Day. I may have issues with Scheer's stance on certain items, but as an effective and affable leader? The OntCons could learn a lot from the FedCons.

But will they? MacClaren should never have gotten this far...He has every right to be a jerk, it might even get him elected with his twisted electorate, but he's a liability to the average Ontarian mindset.

Remember how Trudeau "convinced" Jimmy K to quit federal politics? I bet Patrick Brown does the same with MacLaren.

Remember how Trudeau "convinced" Jimmy K to quit federal politics? I bet Patrick Brown does the same with MacLaren.
Good God! We have Trudeau to thank for that moronic POS on Council? He could have been contained and neutralized as an MP, but as a Councillor he has actual power.

$15/hr is a good idea in Toronto, where business revenues and living costs are higher- but I have a gut feeling that this will seriously hit businesses in smaller towns (i.e. Thunder Bay or Orillia) where business revenues are lower.

Also not sure whether or not the phase-in might be too aggressive- and if we might be seeing even more abuse of the TFW program + further automation. Smaller businesses will also likely be disproportionately affected.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne announces $15 minimum wage
Wage hikes among a suite of proposed workplace reforms

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne has announced a plan to increase the provincial minimum wage to $15 an hour by Jan. 1, 2019.

The increase would be phased in over the next 18 months, rising to $14 an hour on Jan. 1, 2018, and then to $15 the following January.

After that, it will rise annually with inflation.

"People are working longer, jobs are less secure, benefits are harder to come by and protections are fewer and fewer," said Wynne. "In a time of change like this, when the very nature of work is being transformed, we need to make certain that our workers are treated fairly."

Wynne also announced several other proposed changes to workforce rules:

• Equal pay would be mandated for part-time workers doing the same job as a full-time workers.
  • After five years with the same employer, the minimum vacation entitlement for workers would rise to three weeks per year.
  • Employers would be required to pay a worker three hours of wages if the employer cancels a shift with less than 48 hours notice.
  • All workers would be given 10 personal emergency leave days a year, and a minimum of two of those days must be paid. (Currently only employees of large companies are entitled to this.)
Currently, Ontario's minimum wage is $11.40 an hour.

In other provinces, the current minimum ranges from $10.72 in Saskatchewan to $13 in Nunavut. Alberta became the first province to pass a $15 hourly wage, in September 2016, but it doesn't go into effect until October 2018.

In an interview with CBC Toronto on Monday, Wynne said the provincial economy is doing well enough to handle a significant wage boost.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-minimum-wage-announcement-1.4137339

Last edited:
$15/hr is a good idea in Toronto, where business revenues and living costs are higher- but I have a gut feeling that this will seriously hit businesses in smaller towns where business revenues are lower.

Also not sure whether or not the phase-in might be too fast or not- and if we might be seeing even more abuse of the TFW program + automation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-minimum-wage-announcement-1.4137339

What they should do is allow for a differential rate between full time and part time - and set the minimum slightly higher for the latter to encourage the use of full time positions.

As to automation - it's coming regardless.

AoD

Automation is definitely coming regardless, but policies like these affect how fast automation gets phased in (at what point does a job cost more than its value/a machine more cost-effective than people?).

Not complaining though, since I love automation.

It might also be interesting seeing how this hike might also affect the tipping culture in Ontario as well as those who make slightly more than $15/hr at the moment.

Regardless, the Liberals are definitely being proactive in policies- trying to make the PCs and NDP campaign on their terms (since you can't really campaign against $15/hr).

Last edited:
I think, on balance, this is a very good day for Ontario.

I would prefer a minimum wage that allowed some variation across the province, as was done in Oregon, where the Portland rate was set higher than rural areas.

I'm surprised the phase-in is so rapid, though overdue as it is, I'm loathe to argue with it.

The paid sick days move is quite modest (2 paid emergency leave days for everyone, 8 unpaid) but its a place to start and in light of the many other changes, it makes sense not to make that too aggressive.

Three weeks paid vacation after 5 years brings Ontario into line w/most provinces, again I would argue for 3 weeks in year 1, as is the case in Saskatchewan w/o ill effect. But I do realize lots of measures are coming all at once, so this is a reasonable first step.

As I read it they are only requiring 4 days advance notice of scheduling, I think that's a bit light.

The law requiring FT and PT workers receive the same wage (but not benefits), unless there is another distinguishing factor (merit, seniority) is reasonable, if surprising.

This should reduce the incentive to go w/PT employees to some degree.

Overall a good, endoresable package.

Many other things I'd like to see (August Civic made statutory, more than 2 paid sick days) but that can come in the fullness of time.

Some rumors:

Rumour amongst the Conservative party is that the Liberals are going to announce an early election this Fall, so this all lines up

Would make sense why all these announcements are being made, but of course, rumors.

Also an interesting proposition on Reddit:
Why can't they stagger the minimum wage based on age? Under 18 is $11, 19-25 is $13, 26+ is $15. This reinforces the "minimum wage jobs" provide experience for young people while providing a "living wage" for older people.

Automation is definitely coming regardless, but policies like these affect how fast automation gets phased in (at what point does a job cost more than its value/a machine more cost-effective than people?).

The main driver of automation, like those ordering kiosks in restaurants, is real-estate pricing. Revenue and profit per sqft is an extremely common metric in commercial real-estate; landlords make leases around it (they rarely care what the business is, they just know their land can generate $X per sqft).

Throughput per employee needs to increase simply because they take up space. Automation would through much of Toronto even if the machines cost $20/hour to operate versus a $15/hour employee for the same throughput. The machine takes far less physical space, increasing revenue per sqft.

I don't think those McDonald's kiosks even work well.

People rarely use them. It takes way longer to order from them.

And because of all the new offerings McDonal's has (coffees, smothies, etc) it seems like they have even more staff than they use to.

And because of all the new offerings McDonal's has (coffees, smothies, etc) it seems like they have even more staff than they use to.
I never used them because you can't order coffee with half sugar. :p

I also am wary of using a touchscreen that many other people have touched, but that is just me.

Disagree. There are 5 kiosks at the McDonalds by my house and they are always in use. I like to use them because I always customize my burger and it's faster to do it on the screen than have to explain it to a staff member.

Back