News   Sep 03, 2024
 539     2 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 834     1 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 1.8K     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

They promised that projects would be further along.

Sure, it is the nature of political parties to promise - deliver, less so. Speaking of that, it was something to promise 4 lines, cut back to 2 lines and ending with 1 line back in what, 1990? If there is one clear thing - it is that the none of the governments can claim innocence, but some have done more than others over the course of the past few decades.

AoD

Sure, it is the nature of political parties to promise - deliver, less so. Speaking of that, it was something to promise 4 lines, cut back to 2 lines and ending with 1 line back in what, 1990? If there is one clear thing - it is that the none of the governments can claim innocence, but some have done more than others over the course of the past few decades.

AoD
And to make an essential point yet again, as bad, even if awful, that Kathleen and the Wynettes have been, at least they can sing. Nothing, nada, nyet out of Dougie. Dougie can't boogie, he just shuffles down...if he has a plan, he'd best get a ghost singer because we can't hear the lyrics. C'oz there ain't none.

Sha' la la la la lala....Hey everybody: Do the Ferris Wheel!

I wonder if DoFo's ducking debates because it's been clearly conveyed to him that he can't have his howler monkeys in tow.

What exactly did she say? All I've gotten so far from this is that she doesn't support gay marriage, thinks people wearing burkas look like ninjas and bank robbers, and that she doesn't think it's a good idea to travel to Muslim-majority countries.

What's the big deal? I think people who go out in public wearing sweat pants look like lazy chavs. Opinion of someone's dress is not illegal and making light of it sure as hell shouldn't be either. Religious dress isn't beyond criticism and ridicule. Wear what you want. I'll think what I want.

I myself would probably avoid most Muslim-majority countries and I'd tell all my friends to do so as well (knowing who my friends are) and it doesn't have anything to do with them being Muslim-majority but more to do with who I am and how I live (I'd go to Turkey, Lebanon and Morrocco any day of the week, for example).

As for gay marriage, we're not allowed dissenting thought on the subject? Do we expect all our politicians to follow a certain thought orthodoxy?

It's the disturbing arrogance of those who choose to police thought in this way that has lead to the massive political backlash we've seen in liberal democracies, the world over.
I don't want everyone thinking the same way as me. That would be beyond soul-destroying and disturbing.

I am usually in agreement with most of what the PC thought police (that's politically correct, not Progressive Conservative, whose thought police I also despise) are defending but this shit is getting out of hand.

So, yeah, what exactly did she say that was so horrible?

PS: I can't believe I'm standing up for a sex-ed troglodyte.

As it stands, if transit is important then the Liberals are the only party to vote for.

Interesting assertion.

Public transit is my number 1 priority yet there is no way I could possibly vote Liberal. Their supremely personally beneficial 3$ GO train fare within Toronto isn't nearly enough to buy my vote, mostly because my vote isn't for sale.

This can either be a winning strategy or it can backfire spectacularly.

8FC40B71-49FB-45AB-9E18-AAAAF7A8A85C.jpeg

I’m leaning cautiously towards it being winning strategy. I don’t think Ontario has the kind of Trump support that we see down south. Doug can’t help himself and will keep repeating slogans that tie him to Trump, further strengthening the connection and Trump himself is spiraling towards scandal after scandal. It could work.

Attachments

• 8FC40B71-49FB-45AB-9E18-AAAAF7A8A85C.jpeg
    8FC40B71-49FB-45AB-9E18-AAAAF7A8A85C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 534
This can either be a winning strategy or it can backfire spectacularly.

View attachment 139901

I’m leaning cautiously towards it being winning strategy. I don’t think Ontario has the kind of Trump support that we see down south. Doug can’t help himself and will keep repeating slogans that tie him to Trump, further strengthening the connection and Trump himself is spiraling towards scandal after scandal. It could work.
The SoCons are voting Ford regardless. At worst this helps get them to the polls. What the Libs need to do is convince the 20-30% of swing voters that "Ford can't possibly be worse than Wynne" isn't true. Doug's comments about minorities are aimed at normalizing himself to white voters, so the more people say 'hold up a second' the better.

The election isn't "Wynne's to lose". It's "Doug's to lose". And he's incredibly well equipped to do it.
The problem with a Liberal victory is it further emboldens Wynne to carry on as is, with extreme spending, insider deals such as we saw on windpower, and all the other stuff she deserves to lose over. Sure, Wynne may be the least-worst hold your nose choice of many Ontarians, but Wynne will be licking her chops come victory. That’s what’s so annoying about DoFo being the candidate, since Elliot or Mulroney would have wiped Wynne off the map.

Last edited:
This is why I want to see a minority
Agreed. There are options that don't involve voting for a an electoral suicide. And that's Horwath's NDP.

In effect, the Cons, by electing such a hideous choice, have pushed things even further left. They had two perfectly electable candidates, and they blew it. That's what happens when you start strutting around in jackboots. It dents the floor, and takes the shine off of things...and worse.

Horwath offers a check and balance by enabling a coalition.

As much as I dislike Horwath, I'm prepared to vote NDP if they start leading in the polls ahead of the Liberals. I do like my MPP Han Dong so it'll be a tough choice.

As much as I dislike Horwath, I'm prepared to vote NDP if they start leading in the polls ahead of the Liberals. I do like my MPP Han Dong so it'll be a tough choice.
In my riding of Toronto Centre the only choices are Liberal and NDP, any other vote is wasted. So, I'm prepared to to vote NDP, same as I did in 2014. But what is the NDP platform?

Back