News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.4K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.2K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 713     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Social Conservatives have no choice but to vote PC. They really don't have a viable alternative.
Just like Republicans don't give a shit about all of Trumps faults.
They want to win way more then they want to hold their convictions.

Yep, and they will learn the hard way how selling your soul for populism FTW will end.

AoD

The goal isn't to get the social conservatives to vote for someone else. The goal is to expose and exacerbate the conflict between the social conservatives and the progressives in the party. If they can't keep their own party in line it will convince a lot of people that they're not fit to govern.
At best that will get the SoCons more motivated and suppress the turnout of Red Tories - which won't be easy this election. The more productive hunting ground is centrist swing voters who are considering the Tories for economic reasons. Need to convince them that DoFo is a bumbling fool.

According to Wikipedia, at this link, there is a right-wing populist party with one seat in Ontario. The Trillium Party of Ontario is represented by Jack MacLaren, who was Progressive Conservative MPP for Carleton—Mississippi Mills. He was removed from the PC caucus for making negative remarks about Francophones in Ontario. He had joined the party on May 28, 2017. He is listed as "independent". (Patrick Brown is the other "independent".)

Following the 2018 election, the district will be dissolved into three ridings: Kanata—Carleton, Carleton, and Lanark—Frontenac—Kingston.

For the List of political parties in Ontario, see link.

Last edited:
An interesting blog post from Steve Paikin https://tvo.org/blog/current-affair...-so-unpopular-it-may-not-just-be-about-policy Why is Kathleen Wynne so unpopular?

But I do mean to put out there for discussion something that many people are addressing only in whispered tones, and almost never on the record. If Wynne were a heterosexual man rather than a gay woman, would her approval rating be so low?

Is it possible that part of the reason her poll numbers are down is that Ontario is a less progressive, more sexist, and more homophobic place than any of us would like to admit?

At best that will get the SoCons more motivated and suppress the turnout of Red Tories - which won't be easy this election. The more productive hunting ground is centrist swing voters who are considering the Tories for economic reasons. Need to convince them that DoFo is a bumbling fool.
Everyone was convinced that Trudeau was a bumbling fool - but it didn't stop him from getting elected.

Everyone was convinced that Trudeau was a bumbling fool - but it didn't stop him from getting elected.

Hell, you can be amoral sleazebag with a long list of questionable real estate and business dealings and still get someone to defend him because the stock market is rising, so the bar is *really* low.

Who could I be referring to? o_O And I don't mean the amoral sleazebag.

AoD

Hell, you can be amoral sleazebag with a long list of questionable real estate and business dealings and still get someone to defend him because the stock market is rising, so the bar is *really* low.

Who could I be referring to? o_O And I don't mean the amoral sleazebag.

AoD
Trudeau's mother had mental health issues. Can you imagine charging a $20,000 speaker fee to a Mental Health charity. When it comes to morals, I don't think anyone can get lower.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps-weigh-in-on-justin-trudeau-charging-speaking-fees-1.1308010

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia, at this link, there is a right-wing populist party with one seat in Ontario. The Trillium Party of Ontario is represented by Jack MacLaren, who was Progressive Conservative MPP for Carleton—Mississippi Mills. He was removed from the PC caucus for making negative remarks about Francophones in Ontario. He had joined the party on May 28, 2017. He is listed as "independent". (Patrick Brown is the other "independent".)

Following the 2018 election, the district will be dissolved into three ridings: Kanata—Carleton, Carleton, and Lanark—Frontenac—Kingston.

For the List of political parties in Ontario, see link.

He is their first MPP in the history of the party. I wonder if he will run again with them.

Wynne just prorogued Parliament (they weren't even sitting).

There will be a Throne Speech on Monday. I wonder if they will call the election early.

I guess the Liberals didn't get the bump they were hoping from all the PC turmoil.

Wynne just prorogued Parliament (they weren't even sitting).

There will be a Throne Speech on Monday. I wonder if they will call the election early.

I guess the Liberals didn't get the bump they were hoping from all the PC turmoil.
I didn't read it that way.

The Liberals came out of this week in about a good a position as they could hope. Still way behind, but the PCs managed to fumble away a post-convention bump and Doug hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders.

The Throne Speech provides contrast. The Liberals will pull off a show of force, with a united caucus, pomp & circumstance and a chance for Wynne to be on TV looking like the premier. They will use it to telegraph their election platform via quick wins & multi-year commitments and introduce their wedge issues.

Whether it works remains to be seen, but if you're going to launch your campaign platform you might as well do it with a 15-gun salute.

I didn't read it that way.

The Liberals came out of this week in about a good a position as they could hope. Still way behind, but the PCs managed to fumble away a post-convention bump and Doug hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders.

The Throne Speech provides contrast. The Liberals will pull off a show of force, with a united caucus, pomp & circumstance and a chance for Wynne to be on TV looking like the premier. They will use it to telegraph their election platform via quick wins & multi-year commitments and introduce their wedge issues.

Whether it works remains to be seen, but if you're going to launch your campaign platform you might as well do it with a 15-gun salute.

It comes across as electioneering though.

Now any bill that was being worked on is dead.

Back