News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.4K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.2K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 713     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

So, I don't know if I missed this talking point, but it appears Dougie has a platform idea.

Raising the Basic Personal Exemption (provincial) to $30,000

The gross cost of this promise approaches 8B per year if there are no off-sets.

Some nice folks over on Reddit have done a great deal of the math for us.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaPolitics/comments/845yq0/doug_fords_low_income_tax_exemption/

Dougie is a long way from winning my vote, LOL

That said, I half-like this promise.........it never has made sense to me that we tax people (income tax) that are so low income they require and receive government support.

I'm all for the supports, but it does make some sense (to me) to leave the money w/the person who needs it first, then help thereafter.

Having said that.......8B is a whopping amount of revenue to recover.......I'd like to see the math on where that's gonna come from.

i would think if you want the religious vote you would be up in arms about the sex ed as well as the legalization of pot... but nope... just pick one battle, cash in on the other, and still get the religious people who will likely say well it was out of their hands the drug issue so they did what they could on the sex ed issue. btw they are never changing the curriculum.. its just a promise to get your vote and then never do anything with it afterwards.

i would think if you want the religious vote you would be up in arms about the sex ed as well as the legalization of pot... but nope... just pick one battle, cash in on the other, and still get the religious people who will likely say well it was out of their hands the drug issue so they did what they could on the sex ed issue. btw they are never changing the curriculum.. its just a promise to get your vote and then never do anything with it afterwards.
Who else are the socon nutters going to vote for?

In assessing Toronto ridings how much does one weight...

1) Ford's vote in the 2014 municipal election

2) the past Conservative vote

3) whatever personal popularity a sitting Liberal MPP may have

This may turn out to be a very weird election.

In assessing Toronto ridings how much does one weight...

1) Ford's vote in the 2014 municipal election

2) the past Conservative vote

3) whatever personal popularity a sitting Liberal MPP may have

This may turn out to be a very weird election.
1) None.
2) IDK. I also voted PC in 1999, voting Liberal since then, and I’m leaning PC this time.
3) Even a superstar local MPP won’t the immune to the McGuinty/Wynne legacy.

That's the equivalent of anyone on the Left voting Green. Ie. wasted vote.
A vote is supposed to be for those who best represent your views. Therefore, a vote for someone who doesn't just because they have a higher likelihood of winning power or being elected is a wasted vote.
Waste of time.....now that's another story. Yeah, voting for me is a waste of time, I'll give you that.

1) None.
2) IDK. I also voted PC in 1999, voting Liberal since then, and I’m leaning PC this time.
3) Even a superstar local MPP won’t the immune to the McGuinty/Wynne legacy.
I really like my MPP and may well vote for her despite the fact that she is Liberal.

The heart of Ford Nation (NW Toronto) is traditionally a very weak area for Conservatives.

Take York South-Weston, that area has been Liberal or NDP for decades (though more Liberal in recent years). But very strong for Ford municipally.

It’s a conundrum. No way will I cast a vote that leads to Doug Ford becoming premier. I like my MPP but I am not a fan of Wynne. So do I vote NDP? Or Green? I have declined my vote in the past. I don’t know what I will do yet.

I lived in a small town for a lot of years where the local candidate was usually the deciding factor

I guess Ford is only against "social liberalism" via the government, but is fine with social liberalism via the market?

This is a very effective approach and for the first time since Ford was chosen as leader has given me hope that he can be defeated.
65B553A9-DA35-4427-9D52-92C93E2C917E.jpeg

... and they’re just getting started. Expose Ford’s policies and almost any voter can be turned off and many large demographic segments can be motivated to vote against him.

Attachments

• 65B553A9-DA35-4427-9D52-92C93E2C917E.jpeg
    65B553A9-DA35-4427-9D52-92C93E2C917E.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 438

Back