News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.8K     2 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I guess with all the new spending added to try to win the Election they couldn't lie about having a balanced budget anymore.

I got a text from Christine Elliott's team; I told them I didn't have my PIN yet; they said they would report it to HQ. So if there are still a lot of people out there who haven't received PINs yet, they should extend it. The whole thing has been ridiculous and a s**t show IMO. Do we want these people to run the province? I'm just in it to vote against Doug.

The sad thing about this election is that none of the parties looks very good. The Liberals do probably need time in the 'penalty box" but the Tories have recently shown that they have nothing better (and apparently far worse!) to offer. I am a 'historic" Liberal supporter with past flirtations with the NDP but I was open to being wooed by the Tories - their behaviour over past few months has completely removed any superficial attraction they may have ever had for me. If the current 4 (were 5) Leadership candidates are the best they have to offer god help us if they actually win. Unfortunately the NDP really seems somewhat out of it.
Actually their behaviour recently is why I’m interested in the PCs. Challenging your leader before an election takes moxie. Where was the internal Liberal probe against McGuinty and now Wynne? As long as the PC leader is Elliot or Mulroney, I’d say the Liberals are looking at a train wreck.

I’d like to see a female led PC majority with strong NDP minority. The Liberals serve no purpose in such a scenario.

Provincial Budget to drop March 28.

Liberals to return province to deficit, perhaps as high as 8B

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...n-budget-that-returns-ontario-to-deficit.html

In so far as they raise social assistance rates, address healthcare wait times, and expand prescription drug coverage.....that's great.

But @#$# raise taxes to pay for it then. Be honest, be transparent its not as if there isn't room.

A 1% hike in HST and a modest increase in corp tax 0.5% would cover a great deal.

Running up debt when the economy is good is dangerous fiscal policy.
I suppose they are promising small deficits for just a couple of years, and then returning to balance by the end of their term. The budget will balance itself in the 4 years as they build the economy from the heart, and measure the strength of the economy by the size of the deficit.

Not for nothing, but noting that it's quite likely (unless the NDP pull a 2015 Mulcair) that every party will be running on a deficit platform.

Last edited:
I suppose they are promising small deficits for just a couple of years, and then returning to balance by the end of their term. The budget will balance itself in the 4 years as they build the economy from the heart, and measure the strength of the economy by the size of the deficit.
Man, I wish my budget could balance itself!

Why, exactly is this PIN distribution taking so long? Are they looking through every registrant's mail to see if they're real?

Back