News   Jul 15, 2024
 750     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 907     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 634     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

And that's USD, which at today's rate equals about $18.60 CAD.

And essentials tend to be cheaper in the US than in Canada - so there is purchasing parity to consider as well. On the flip side, NY State can be anything from Watertown to Manhattan, and the cost of living varies, to put it mildly.

AoD

Last edited:
Read the article about the cost of the increase at Tim's. The $243,000 figure assumes that ALL employees will receive a $2.40 increase, which isn't likely to be the case, and that employees are working 40-hour weeks, even though the average food service worker works less than that and almost half of Tim's employees are part-time. The Star is reporting numbers provided by an association of franchisees, and they are very clear on that. That $243,000/year number is like a worst-case scenario number. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/01/08/tim-hortons-minimum-wage-costs-by-the-numbers.html

So, what's the franchisee to do? Are they supposed to absorb 100% of the wage increase from their own income? I've read that the average franchisee makes about $175K to $200K a year (of course those with better locations or multiple locations make a lot more). But the Toronto Star is reporting that the wage increase will cost the average Timmies over $243K a year (per location). That's more than the average franchiee's income. So, something has to give?

That's between the franchisee and the franchise holder - and the latter is screwing the former in any case (hence the lawsuits, etc), so nothing is new there. At the end of the day, only the consumer can make a difference - why settle for shitty coffee/shitty food by a shitty pseudo-Canadian chain when alternatives are available? I mean, are we supposed to fall for that nationalistic sentimentality when the chain is now owned by Berkshire Hathaway and 3G trying to exploit low income/new Canadians to sell crap to Canadians?

AoD

Last edited:
At the end of the day, only the consumer can make a difference - why settle for shitty coffee/shitty food by a shitty pseudo-Canadian chain when alternatives are available? I mean, are we supposed to fall for that nationalistic sentimentality when the chain is now owned by Berkshire Hathaway and 3G trying to exploit low income/new Canadians to sell crap to Canadians?
Well said.

Which brings us back to alternatives owned by actual Canadians https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/any-canadian-owned-chains-of-coffee-shops.21531/

Well said.

Which brings us back to alternatives owned by actual Canadians https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/any-canadian-owned-chains-of-coffee-shops.21531/

It doesn't even have to be owned by Canadians necessarily - it is more important that the establishment to treat their workers well. There is nothing more offensive than a chain selling themselves as Canadians (to the point of taking every opportunity to remind you of their pedigree) exploiting the same.

AoD

of course those with better locations or multiple locations make a lot more
The average franchisee owns 3.5 locations. The average location profits around $260k.
You need to have a net worth of $1.5million and $500,000 liquid assets in order to qualify.

But the Toronto Star is reporting that the wage increase will cost the average Timmies over $243K a year (per location).
A figure provided by the Franchisee Association.

So, something has to give?
Heaven forbid they have to forgo the winter home in Florida and pay their employees above poverty level wages.
They expect their employees to live on less than $30k a year, I'm sure they'll be able to get by on $51k.

The average franchisee owns 3.5 locations. The average location profits around $260k.
You need to have a net worth of $1.5million and $500,000 liquid assets in order to qualify.

A figure provided by the Franchisee Association.

Heaven forbid they have to forgo the winter home in Florida and pay their employees above poverty level wages.
They expect their employees to live on less than $30k a year, I'm sure they'll be able to get by on $51k.

The wealthiest people I know from southwestern Ontario are all TH franchise owners, and they are multi-millionaires from it.

They vacation in the south of France, not Leamington.

I agree with the rest of you. I have zero sympathy for Tim Horton's, especially given what utterly mediocre products they peddle, in a sterile, corporate environment to boot. Their popularity only shows how how many foolish people there are, despite plenty of far superior alternatives.

I agree with the rest of you. I have zero sympathy for Tim Horton's, especially given what utterly mediocre products they peddle, in a sterile, corporate environment to boot. Their popularity only shows how how many foolish people there are, despite plenty of far superior alternatives.
I wonder if we're reaching peak Tims though. McDonalds used to be the king of lunch out, and now they're much reduced.

My favourite coffee chain is Starbucks, though I usually try to find the independents.

Can we get back to whether or not Premier Wynne can win ....
Can win? She will win.

During the last election she had the taint of Ornge, eHealth, gas plants, etc., plus the residual ill-will over McGuinty's Ontario Health Premium, delisting OHIP coverage, Caledonia land seizures, etc, etc. And she still won by a landslide.

And with the min wage hike and free prescriptions for kids, the NDP have nothing to campaign on.

Wynne's got this one locked.

Can win? She will win.

During the last election she had the taint of Ornge, eHealth, gas plants, etc., plus the residual ill-will over McGuinty's Ontario Health Premium, delisting OHIP coverage, Caledonia land seizures, etc, etc. And she still won by a landslide.

And with the min wage hike and free prescriptions for kids, the NDP have nothing to campaign on.

Wynne's got this one locked.

I would not jump to that conclusion just yet

I would not jump to that conclusion just yet
We'll see.

I omitted the PC tendency to self destruct before the election. The PCs haven't fielded a winnable candidate since Harris' victory in the closing years of the last century. Looking at Brown, I'd say it's 50/50 he steps on his own tail while apparently ahead, and gives the win to Wynne.

It's pretty clear the Liberals can't really appeal much to the center-right vote and are going to focus on burying the NDP vote.

The NDP is itching for a 3-way split similar to 2011 where they hope to win some seats in Scarborough and the city's NW quadrant. I think this minimum wage increase is going to prove very popular in areas in outer Toronto with a large retail and service working class.

Back