News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 815     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow. Brad Bradford has to be extremely crafty... In the early stages he campaigned with Keesmaat and now he got Tory to endorse him? Extremely sketchy. I hope he doesn't win.

I feel like Brad Bradford would be an effective councilor under either Tory or Keesmaat administration.

Seeing as Tory is likely to win, jumping ship to Tory does not seem like a bad choice. You could be looking at our next TTC Chair.

Could you imagine that? A TTC Chair who understands transit and planning?

Very odd strategy, especially as he was painting himself as a left-winger throughout his campaign.

Centre-right councillor Mary Margaret McMahon endorsed him, and she was a close ally to Tory. I anticipate Bradford would follow her model (similar to Bailao), loyal to a Tee on big Tory agenda items, good on some issues, and terrible on others.

I still give the edge to Matthew Kellway, and think he we would be preferable due to his progressive (read NDP) bonifides.

John Tory is setting up a chess game to move to the centre once re-elected. He sees the writing on the wall and knows that in a 25 ward council, there is likely to be a shift left with several of his usual reliable conservatives not running or being pinned against other conservatives and only one coming back. He needs to compile a group of loyal centrists to maintain control. That's why Palacio was booted. Tory is offering Bailao Deputy Mayor in exchange for her loyalty. Brad Bradford may lean centre/left but he wants to win and will give Tory his loyalty in exchange for the Mayor's influence and endorsement. Tory's team is also backing others like Joe Mihevc even though he's way further left than Matlow. Mihevc can be persuaded to back the Mayor as opposed to Matlow who is staunchly principled and can't be controlled.

If I had my old MetroMan anonymity, I could give a full list but for now, all I can say is that there's a slate and that slate is surprising in its centre/left leaning composition.

Wow. Brad Bradford has to be extremely crafty... In the early stages he campaigned with Keesmaat and now he got Tory to endorse him? Extremely sketchy. I hope he doesn't win.

I heard he will be supporting Tory’s position on the Scarborough subway and Gardiner expressway, if they are elected.

Very odd strategy, especially as he was painting himself as a left-winger throughout his campaign.

Centre-right councillor Mary Margaret McMahon endorsed him, and she was a close ally to Tory. I anticipate Bradford would follow her model (similar to Bailao), loyal to a Tee on big Tory agenda items, good on some issues, and terrible on others.

I still give the edge to Matthew Kellway, and think he we would be preferable due to his progressive (read NDP) bonifides.

I can say Matthew is polling well ahead in this ward, but that was a heavyweight series of endorsements, Tory, MMM and former MPP Arthur Potts.

Bradford has some $$/org He's been out w/the door hangars in my neck of the woods already.

Kellway seems to have a substantial lead on signs.

I'm quite curious about the 'angle' for Tory on this one.......

I say that non-pejoratively. (at least for now)

I'm inclined to back Matt, we've had some good discussions in which I pigeon-holed him on a number of policy items, I was fairly pleased w/his answers.

I have yet to meet Brad.

... Tory's team is also backing others like Joe Mihevc even though he's way further left than Matlow. Mihevc can be persuaded to back the Mayor as opposed to Matlow who is staunchly principled and can't be controlled.

If I had my old MetroMan anonymity, I could give a full list but for now, all I can say is that there's a slate and that slate is surprising in its centre/left leaning composition.

MM, I will be STUNNED if Tory publicly endorses Mihevc, even though JT and Matlow clearly do not get along. Mihevc is too NDP for JT's taste, and has a worse voting record supporting JT than Matlow.

John Tory is setting up a chess game to move to the centre once re-elected. He sees the writing on the wall and knows that in a 25 ward council, there is likely to be a shift left with several of his usual reliable conservatives not running or being pinned against other conservatives and only one coming back. He needs to compile a group of loyal centrists to maintain control. That's why Palacio was booted. Tory is offering Bailao Deputy Mayor in exchange for her loyalty. Brad Bradford may lean centre/left but he wants to win and will give Tory his loyalty in exchange for the Mayor's influence and endorsement. Tory's team is also backing others like Joe Mihevc even though he's way further left than Matlow. Mihevc can be persuaded to back the Mayor as opposed to Matlow who is staunchly principled and can't be controlled.

What exactly was Tory's gameplan if the 47 ward election occurred? He was in even more trouble in that scenario. I actually think realistically the center right will hold control of council this election, while under 47 wards I think they had no chance.
Also the people who claim Tory=Ford or think Tory is "far right" are pretty out to lunch in my opinion. He has a willingness to embrace center-left ideas, he just doesn't side with the let on EVERYTHING which annoys people I guess.

And reading between the line I think Kevin Vuong is getting Tory's endorsement. :)

MM, I will be STUNNED if Tory publicly endorses Mihevc, even though JT and Matlow clearly do not get along. Mihevc is too NDP for JT's taste, and has a worse voting record supporting JT than Matlow.

Tory’s not publicly endorsing Mihevc as he’s not for most on his slate. There’s a lot of pull that can happen behind the scenes from the Mayor’s office and from his sphere of influence to help a candidate without openly endorsing them. Matlow has been making life increasingly difficult for Tory and can’t be manipulated. Mihevc on the other hand is... well, he’s been in this game for a long time. He knows how this works. He may be looking for TTC chair. That’s the kind of appointment that’ll make even a left leaning councillor fall in line with a conservative mayor.

Has Tory endorsed anyone in Etobicoke? I'm interested in Ward 2, he did choose Holyday as his Deputy Mayor for the region, but they did disagree quite a bit toward the end of the term. Campbell is much more like Tor - centre-right (and socially progressive).

Has anyone spotted any Mike Layton signs in Rosedale? It will be interesting to see how well he does along the Chestnut Parks and Cluny Drives. Of course, the low density in the area means it will have limited impact on the overall vote count.

I imagine Layton's high support will come from The Annex, Seaton Village and Little Italy.

Has anyone spotted any Mike Layton signs in Rosedale? It will be interesting to see how well he does along the Chestnut Parks and Cluny Drives. Of course, the low density in the area means it will have limited impact on the overall vote count.

It may also depend on whether there's any one figurehead to galvanize the anti-Layton Rosedale vote. (I can't help thinking of how in Cressy's ward in 2014, the south-of-Queen condo et al polls were split every which way)

John Tory has endorsed Brad Bradford in the beaches.

Star reporter commented on this: https://twitter.com/dmrider/status/1048219564432080902

image.png

Back