News   Apr 19, 2024
 984     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 683     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You know you dislike a councilor when you actively want Smitherman to beat them.

That is how I feel about Wong Tam

George would be a breath of fresh air. Kristen Wong-Tam is too earthy, hippie for me. She's good but shes a little too focused on things like bike lanes the homeless. It's nice to have a feel for those issues but it is different to be focused solely on them.

George would be a breath of fresh air. Kristen Wong-Tam is too earthy, hippie for me. She's good but shes a little too focused on things like bike lanes the homeless. It's nice to have a feel for those issues but it is different to be focused solely on them.
More a breath of hot air; he was a rather ineffective MPP and a rather poor Minister of Health (Info-Health, Orange Ambulance anyone?) . K W-T (who has also spent a lot of time on the huge number of development issues in Ward 27) is not perfect but she is by a long way top of the bunch on offer.

Hmmm

Dunpar Homes Ltd. is threatening to sue Toronto council Ward 3 candidate Pamela Gough, alleging she defamed the developer by recently posting a pair of tweets relating to a CBC Toronto investigative report.

Gough is running in Etobicoke-Lakeshore Ward 3 against Mark Grimes — one of the councillors named in the report.
As of last week, the OPP's anti-rackets unit was still looking into the polling allegations.

"The investigation is still active and ongoing," OPP Staff Sergeant Carolle Dionne told CBC Toronto.

The probe originally began as an internal investigation launched by the city's integrity commissioner, who had received an unrelated complaint regarding Di Ciano's campaign finances.

The integrity commissioner asked Toronto police to look into information she uncovered during her investigation.

Instead, Toronto police turned the information over to the OPP to avoid any perceived conflict of interest, as Toronto councillors set the Toronto police budget.

The OPP then uncovered information relating to the $40,000 polling and research that may have benefited Grimes and Di Ciano.

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/ward-3-cand...n-lawsuit-after-tweeting-cbc-report-1.4855591

Wong-Tam deserves re-election,

absolutely not! She's totally out of touch.
Handing out flashlights to female residents who complain they don't feel safe in their own neighbourhoods after dark.
Supporting 5 SIS within 1KM of Dundas and Sherbourne....and promising more.

absolutely not! She's totally out of touch.
Handing out flashlights to female residents who complain they don't feel safe in their own neighbourhoods after dark.
Supporting 5 SIS within 1KM of Dundas and Sherbourne....and promising more.

This is what I was referring to earlier about Kristen Wong-Tam. She is more concerned about the low income in her ward than she is the city as a whole. The problem is that the low-income are a barrier to gentrification. I like that she supports SIS (I would prefer to see people poking themselves safely) but the reality is that encouraging the homeless and the addicted to congregate at Dundas and Sherbourne is not a wise idea. I would rather see someone who is willing to help better the homeless and the addicted than Wong-Tam.

She fails to realize the reason the females don't feel safe in their ward is because of the homeless and the addicts in the area. Giving them a reason to come to the area only makes the problem worse. Even me as a full grown male will not walk near Dundas and Sherbourne (Cabbagetown in general really) after dark because of all the shelters in the area.

She fails to realize the reason the females don't feel safe in their ward is because of the homeless and the addicts in the area

She, and the police, have told us that there is not crime problem in the area, it's all in our heads.
Tory stopped by for a walk about two months ago. He showed up with a cop as a body guard...it was noon on a wednesday. Within minutes, they had called for 'backup'. He now had three uniformed officers guarding him, while telling the ratepayers that there isn't a problem.

She, and the police, have told us that there is not crime problem in the area, it's all in our heads.
Tory stopped by for a walk about two months ago. He showed up with a cop as a body guard...it was noon on a wednesday. Within minutes, they had called for 'backup'. He now had three uniformed officers guarding him, while telling the ratepayers that there isn't a problem.

I know people who live at 88 Mutual Street (Dundas and Jarvis). It is a co-op but in that co-op you can buy drugs and people depending on which floor you go to. You go to Dundas and Sherbourne, you have the locals drinking, pushing shopping carts and just hanging around. The last time I walked to Dundas and Sherbourne, I got asked for money from several people. Even a friend who used to live there was nervous because the city forced him to share a house with addicts and criminals.

I hate to say it but the people that live in these shelters cannot find work or refuse to. They either have mental health or other issues. I try to avoid it because I prefer not to be bothered by people asking for money or eyeing me down trying to see how much of a threat I am.

Nothing is more dangerous than a male with mental health issues strung out on drugs.

This is what I was referring to earlier about Kristen Wong-Tam. She is more concerned about the low income in her ward than she is the city as a whole. The problem is that the low-income are a barrier to gentrification. I like that she supports SIS (I would prefer to see people poking themselves safely) but the reality is that encouraging the homeless and the addicted to congregate at Dundas and Sherbourne is not a wise idea. I would rather see someone who is willing to help better the homeless and the addicted than Wong-Tam.

She fails to realize the reason the females don't feel safe in their ward is because of the homeless and the addicts in the area. Giving them a reason to come to the area only makes the problem worse. Even me as a full grown male will not walk near Dundas and Sherbourne (Cabbagetown in general really) after dark because of all the shelters in the area.

As a councillor, shouldn't that be her priority?

You bought all those houses in Cabbagetown so cheap back in the day because of the shelters existing in the vicinity, like that's the only reason you live there in first place. Now all of a sudden poor income folks are the bad guys? I'm not against gentrification but this is all very tasteless socioeconomic climber crap.

My Neighbour was accosted by someone like Avenue a few weeks ago.
Maybe it was him....he doesn't live in the neighbourhood...just thinks he has a say in what the residents think.
My neighbour was born in the house down the street, moved next door in his thirties, and then retired in the house a few doors up.
but...according to SJW's like Avenue, he only lives there because he wants to push the whores and meth addicts out.

Back