News   Jul 12, 2024
 992     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 861     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 348     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really don't feel bad for city council at all on this they chose to ignore the will of the public last time around and as a further slap in the face they INCREASED the size of council when they could have left it at 44.
You have a limited understanding of how the process works, by whom, and the court decisions upholding this.

Perhaps you'd be interested in preparing a mob to storm the Supreme Court of Canada's chambers?

The one that elected Rob Ford who had cutting council in his platform?
Which platform? Could you produce this with at least a link?

I have read the ward boundaries report. It didn't even consider the fact that people who would sign up to take surveys on something like ward boundaries are not representative of the general population . The result of that survey is due to sample bias.
The result was tested before both the OMB and Superior Court. I don't have the latter's decision handy, but it's based on a SCC decision interpreting the Constitution. I will detail and reference later.

Theoretically if the public cares this much about Toronto council ward boundaries Ford is a dead man walking next election.
"Next election?" He won't last that long before he's lynched by his own minions. Lynched or stabbed...

Councillors should not be involved in day to day constituent activities - that's why you have a bureaucracy.
That's exactly why you have Councillors.

I'd actually prefer to go to a swiss style very weak mayor system where the role of mayor is closer to that of the City General Manager; major policy decisions are made by quarterly referendum.
Cantonal representation just isn't in the cards for Canada. The Swiss (and to a degree, others like the Danes) hold direct democracy close to their hearts, and realize the responsibility to participate. They also have true Freedom of Information, as do most Nordics. Sweden has done so for some 800 years, and Parliament is based on a Norse model.

We have the likes of Doug Ford. For now....but we can also have fireworks displays. One is coming shortly...

Those calling for fewer ridings are ignorant of the fact that city councillor has always been considered a "part time job", in that councillors are *allowed* to hold other jobs (see: Doug Ford at Deco; Mammo at Supreme Douchebag, Inc.). Most councillors go above and beyond already and work 50-60 hour weeks. Shrinking the ridings now doubles the constituency load for every one of those councillors who already overwork themselves.

This is not a boon in any manner. This means less representation for everyone.

Excellent move. Council is too big and disfunctional. Too many little fiefdoms with personal pet projects that prevent the city from moving forward in a coherent way.

Add a strong mayor and Toronto might actually turn into something...

Imagine if Rob Ford had strong mayor powers.

Also, what makes you think pet projects and fiefdoms won't continue? Anyone named Ford will win Ward 2. Mammo does nothing yet continually gets re-elected, as does Kelly.

I'm not really sure where I stand on the number of councilors.

I just hate the way its being handled. Today is the deadline to sign up to run. Now everything is up in the air.

They should have planned this for 2022.
I too have no real problem with fewer Councillors but you also need to examine what Councillors are expected to do and their staffing. They should have started a STUDY today with a final report in 2 years and implementation of whatever in 2022. This rushed process is a real recipe for a HUGE mess.

Councillors should not be involved in day to day constituent activities - that's why you have a bureaucracy.

Councillors should be a next-to-final escalation point in this process. Hence, 47 not required, 25 - better.

I wonder if this provides an opportunity for the implementation of community boards like in NYC?

I agree that Councillors should not be discussing issues like leaf pickup or speedbumps, but people do need some form of accessible local representation.

I really hope that some strong liberal candidates will cross ward boundary borders to take on Mammo, DMW, Karygiannis, Holyday, etc. It would be a real shame to have them fight it out amongst themselves in the fall.

I'm looking forward to the bloodbath between people who should have retired 30 years ago from council.

I'm also looking forward to the Grimes/DiDunpar bloodbath - hoping a third saner candidate can squeeze in between those two fucks.

I'm looking forward to the bloodbath between people who should have retired 30 years ago from council.

I'm also looking forward to the Grimes/DiDunpar bloodbath - hoping a third saner candidate can squeeze in between those two fucks.

It will be poetic justice for long time Ford ally Vincent Crisanti when he loses to Mikey Ford.

do you think its possible in these types of
It will be poetic justice for long time Ford ally Vincent Crisanti when he loses to Mikey Ford.
races that they will both canabalise each others votes so much that a third progressive voice could sneak in ?

races that they will both canabalise each others votes so much that a third progressive voice could sneak in ?
It will blow back against the left and the right in council - wards/ridings even though split, still share the same political leanings.

This is totally idiocy. It would have been better to wait after the election to announce this or at the very least postpone the realignment until 2022.

I said it during the provincial election that electing Dougie would be electing Mike Harris 2.0 and looks like I was right. Honestly though, if Doug Ford was to do this right he would implode Toronto and bring back Metro Toronto. If he wanted more efficient and constit focused Councillors it would be easier to do that in 6 cities rather than one. Yes you had Metro Council for things like emergency services, TTC etc but at least you had local issues brought to the forefront with somewhat smaller councils.

It makes sense really to have the 6 cities brought back and it would make this whole mess more palatable.

I really think Crisanti will not run against Ford there is no real reason to vote for him over ford. he is one of the few councilors for useless than Michael Ford anyway.

Back