News   Jul 12, 2024
 881     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 789     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 329     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Absolutely reckless. At least wait until 2022.

There were some murmers that this was a possibility after Ford's election. I also wonder if this explains Mike Colle and Han Dong's sudden jump into the race. They likely received word of the changes, and knowing that they would have huge name recognition in their electoral districts-turned-council wards, jumped into the race immediately.

This is a huge loss for newcomers looking to unseat incumbents. It's hard enough directing scarce resources into one ward, but now they have to deal with 'two' wards.

Last edited:
I really don't feel bad for city council at all on this they chose to ignore the will of the public last time around and as a further slap in the face they INCREASED the size of council when they could have left it at 44.

I really don't feel bad for city council at all on this they chose to ignore the will of the public last time around and as a further slap in the face they INCREASED the size of council when they could have left it at 44.
Actually the public consultations showed many people wanted a slightly larger Council- which is what we got.

I am happy with 47 but could live with fewer Councillors but you then need to look at how Council works, what Councillors are expected to do and how many staff they each have. It is totally crazy to try to do all of this in 3 weeks and it will paralyse the City just as the rushed amalgamation did.

If Ford wants to do it, it should be done from 2022 so that it can actually be done properly.

Which public are we talking about?

AoD
The one that elected Rob Ford who had cutting council in his platform? Now I know people who participate heavily in political discussions like to think that everyone loves politicians but there is a large anti-politician crowd that would love a move like this.

Personally I was fine with the 44 councilors but they decided to add councilors and use boundaries that won't create effective representation till 2026!!! It was a horrible process and I am glad never having to see council function with 47 councilors.

Actually the public consultations showed many people wanted a slightly larger Council- which is what we got.

I am happy with 47 but could live with fewer Councillors but you then need to look at how Council works, what Councillors are expected to do and how many staff they each have. It is totally crazy to try to do all of this in 3 weeks and it will paralyse the City just as the rushed amalgamation did.

If Ford wants to do it, it should be done from 2022 so that it can actually be done properly.

This is far, far more rushed than amalgamation - and it didn't happen 4 months before a municipal election.

The one that elected Rob Ford who had cutting council in his platform? Now I know people who participate heavily in political discussions like to think that everyone loves politicians but there is a large anti-politician crowd that would love a move like this.

Personally I was fine with the 44 councilors but they decided to add councilors and use boundaries that won't create effective representation till 2026!!! It was a horrible process and I am glad never having to see council function with 47 councilors.

Yes, and there is a large crowd who want free lunch, no taxes, no elections, etc. It doesn't equate to good policy. As to your assertion that somehow adding 3 councillors will lead to disaster - there were 50+ at one point, and it wasn't no more or less horrible. If you want a functional council, stop having clowns taking up the oxygen instead. Wait, that was the premier.

AoD

Last edited:

I have read the ward boundaries report. It didn't even consider the fact that people who would sign up to take surveys on something like ward boundaries are not representative of the general population . The result of that survey is due to sample bias.

I have read the ward boundaries report. It didn't even consider the fact that people who would sign up to take surveys on something like ward boundaries are not representative of the general population . The result of that survey is due to sample bias.
So, you are saying that if someone completes surveys or attends meetings their views must be wrong and one should do the opposite of the result of consultation?

So, you are saying that if someone completes surveys or attends meetings their views must be wrong and one should do the opposite of the result of consultation?
Is what you are saying that if you get elected with a platform to do something that you should reverse it if a small sample of the population fills out a survey saying the opposite?

It is really easy to misrepresent an argument. Please try to actually read what i am saying. I am just saying that that survey is not necessarily an accurate view of what the public thinks. Theoretically if the public cares this much about Toronto council ward boundaries Ford is a dead man walking next election.

That slimeball Justin Di Dunpar is gloating tonight.

Maybe Ford will also call off the OPP investigation too.

0C1CD905-471C-49A2-9455-F6B3FD6979D3.jpeg

Attachments

• 0C1CD905-471C-49A2-9455-F6B3FD6979D3.jpeg
    0C1CD905-471C-49A2-9455-F6B3FD6979D3.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 493
How do the 25 ward boundaries relatively affect the left vs right dynamics of council? The provincial map for Toronto looks like 14 NDP/Lib seats to 11 Cons. Many different variables at play at the municipal level, of course.

Back