News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 839     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But it's not about the savings . It's about sticking it to the left .

I don't even think it's that. Look at all their "cost-saving" measures thus far. Apart from being cost-incurring measures and not cost-saving ones, they're about sticking it to all of us. I feel quite "stuck to" and I ain't no part of "the left".

Also, the provincial electorate district and the new municipal ward Malik has registered to run in are definitely not the same.

MetroMan – Han Dong seems to be running fairly slow out the gate. He's probably fatigued from his long Spring campaign, but he seems to be quiet on social media and doesn't even have a website up. Is most of the local riding association working with Vuong?

Speaking of 'split' riding associations, I wonder how the battle lines are drawn in Davenport as both Palacio and Bailao have Liberal Party ties.

What's the point in candidates for council doing any campaign work at the moment? If Ford's plan to cut council seats goes forward, and new wards are drawn up to match the provincial and federal ridings, council candidates campaigns in the old ward system will be scuppered. Save money, save time. We are in Ontario post-election fatigue. Turn out for municipal elections is notoriously low. People are in vacation mode. Election interest won't be generated until early September or even later.

What's the point in candidates for council doing any campaign work at the moment? If Ford's plan to cut council seats goes forward, and new wards are drawn up to match the provincial and federal ridings, council candidates campaigns in the old ward system will be scuppered. Save money, save time. We are in Ontario post-election fatigue. Turn out for municipal elections is notoriously low. People are in vacation mode. Election interest won't be generated until early September or even later.
Though I tend to agree with you, there are those who think otherwise and it may be good for candidates to keep recruiting and using their volunteers. As the turnout in Council races is generally low it only takes a couple of hundred extra votes to win some Wards so every vote counts. The real problem is that candidates are currently canvassing in the 'current' 47 Wards while the election may be in the new (and far larger) 25. Many current candidates will probably not put their names forward again as they either prefer to work in 'their own neighbourhood' or simply refuse to become the kind of 'board of directors' councillor that they would need to be if actually elected as one of 25. I actually find Doug's proposal for huge Wards quite interesting as it would really make the 'retail politics' so beloved by his late brother impossible. (One MAY be able to deal with someone's woes with garbage and racoons in a small Ward but if you are 'responsible for' over 100,000 people you simply can't.)

I agree that it will be questionable how many council candidates will remain to run for election for a 25 seat council. Certainly new, young candidates without riding associations behind them will drop out. The race will be between incumbents with name recognition. Sad and so boring if this happens. The new faces and energy we could have seen on city council in the 10 non-encumbent wards (in the 47 ward system) will disappear.

Though I tend to agree with you, there are those who think otherwise and it may be good for candidates to keep recruiting and using their volunteers. As the turnout in Council races is generally low it only takes a couple of hundred extra votes to win some Wards so every vote counts. The real problem is that candidates are currently canvassing in the 'current' 47 Wards while the election may be in the new (and far larger) 25. Many current candidates will probably not put their names forward again as they either prefer to work in 'their own neighbourhood' or simply refuse to become the kind of 'board of directors' councillor that they would need to be if actually elected as one of 25. I actually find Doug's proposal for huge Wards quite interesting as it would really make the 'retail politics' so beloved by his late brother impossible. (One MAY be able to deal with someone's woes with garbage and racoons in a small Ward but if you are 'responsible for' over 100,000 people you simply can't.)
Doesn't the City (i.e. Parks and Rec or 311) deal with garbage (and most other) issues. The only reason the Councillor is there is to represent citizens views and oversee staff to ensure that things are getting done.
The problem is that Councillors are doing activities to help get them re-elected, instead of their jobs. I don't doubt that they are busy, but not busy doing the right things.

I spoke with my Councillor often about local projects, developments and broader City issues. We didn’t discuss garbage :rolleyes:

Back