News   Jul 12, 2024
 842     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 756     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is absolutely zero chance this happens.

Conservatives are ecstatic with what he has done so far. And they are happy be in power.

Yes but there is already talk of people within the party concerned that Doug Ford might be damaging the party much like Mike Harris did with amalgamation. There are concerns he could be alienating Toronto and the 905 yet again putting them in a position where they may not be back in power after the next election.

I disagree with this though.

The boundaries should be set based on current population. Not potential future growth. That is unfair to citizens now.

Besides a lot can change in 10 years. Its possible not all growth targets will be met.
Yes, and that's why we should never plan ahead. That makes Doug Ford supporters happy too. Zero chance he'll ever get it, or his supporters.

Subways, Subways, Subways!

The boundaries should be set based on current population. Not potential future growth. That is unfair to citizens now.

Most suburban wards have zero development happening, ever. The workload of such a councilor and the workload of another whose ward is getting tens of thousands of new dwellings every year is not comparable. There's nothing unfair about it.

Most suburban wards have zero development happening, ever. The workload of such a councilor and the workload of another whose ward is getting tens of thousands of new dwellings every year is not comparable. There's nothing unfair about it.

They can be adjusted every election.

I guess it doesn't really matter anyways now. They will be based on the Federal/Provincial ridings.

Any indication yet on which incumbents are running where and which ones will run against each other? Under the 47 ward system, it was only Bailão and Palacio against each other right?

They can be adjusted every election.

I guess it doesn't really matter anyways now. They will be based on the Federal/Provincial ridings.
Adjusting Ward boundaries every 4 years is impractical (and expensive). The City's plan was to do it every 20 years and this revision would reach Ward parity in 2026 and being revised again in 2036. The Federal boundaries are revised every 10 years, as laid down in the Constitution but they often do not follow logical municipal 'areas'. e.g. The St Lawrence neighbourhood is divided at The Esplanade with buildings north of it in one Constituency and those south of it in another - from a Federal (or a Provincial) point of view this probably does not matter much; from a municipal one it is silly.

Adjusting Ward boundaries every 4 years is impractical (and expensive). The City's plan was to do it every 20 years and this revision would reach Ward parity in 2026 and being revised again in 2036. The Federal boundaries are revised every 10 years, as laid down in the Constitution but they often do not follow logical municipal 'areas'. e.g. The St Lawrence neighbourhood is divided at The Esplanade with buildings north of it in one Constituency and those south of it in another - from a Federal (or a Provincial) point of view this probably does not matter much; from a municipal one it is silly.

The federal/provincial boundaries were designed with population counts from the May 2011 Census, and they're already over seven years out of date. It not just affects central Toronto, but it also affects North York Centre.

The federal/provincial boundaries were designed with population counts from the May 2011 Census, and they're already over seven years out of date. It not just affects central Toronto, but it also affects North York Centre.
However, the 47 ward model had wards that were half the size of other wards based on 2016 numbers.

Adjusting Ward boundaries every 4 years is impractical (and expensive).

And vastly confusing for voters. Static-population areas would be the buffer pool used to even out those ward adjustments. Depending on where you live (like say, South Riverdale), every new election could (nay, would!) put you in different wards. 10 years is a good compromise – it doesn't span generations, but is enough time for people to build awareness of their ward and for data to be properly collected. There's a decent argument that could be made that ward change recommendations be done after a census (every 5 years), and unless we go back to 3-year terms, that data gets stale.

As a City Council candidate, I received a letter from the City Clerk's Office stating that the election is still being administered according to the current guidelines if and until Queen's Park passes legislation. No real work is being done to prepare for a 25 ward election. If Ulli Watkiss really intended on cooperating, her office would be doing preliminary work given Ford's public statements. She is not. I hope for this to mean that she'll do what she can to run out the clock rather than pull miracles to satisfy Ford's destruction of Toronto's democracy.

Today's TorStar, Adam Vaughan:
[...]
“We are not going to try to rewrite the constitution because of one bad decision at Queen’s Park,” said Vaughan, who is parliamentary secretary to the Minister of Families, Children and Social Development for housing and urban affairs.

Instead, Vaughan said the Liberal government is prepared to bypass the province and deliver funds for housing and other programs directly to Toronto.

“We are going to work very closely with the citizens of Toronto and the democratic institutions that are left standing,” he said. “We will not shy away from working around provinces that are quite clearly doing damage to cities.”

That “work around” solution fits with a longstanding push from some advocates and city leaders for Toronto — as the country’s largest city and sixth largest government — to have more resources as a “significant 'order of government,” said Myer Siemiatycki, a politics professor at Ryerson University. In areas of federal jurisdiction, such as immigration, Ottawa could easily go around the province to deal directly with Toronto, a city that receives tens of thousands of newcomers every year, Siemiatycki said.

“In the Ontario context, where the provincial government seems to be putting itself in an adversarial position with the City of Toronto, it’s not surprising that the federal government wants to position itself as the friend and ally of Toronto,” he said.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...tutional-fight-over-toronto-council-cuts.html

Excellent Constitutional Chess move!

Someone's been doing their homework. Essentially this is saying: "Two can play that game", and this actually plays into Keesmaat's "secession" remark. an impossibility in practical terms, but virtually doable by a federal government selectively choosing Toronto for star treatment, and actually writing Queen's Park out of the picture! Is this Constitutional? No, but neither is Ford's move. So the Feds have just one-upped Ford.

See you in court Dougie!

Addendum: If the above seems to be a 'Flash in the Pan'...it isn't. We're going to be reading a lot more in the popular press about this, let alone in legal and political publications.

Dougie wants to play bully?

See Dougie get his nose broken, and run home crying:
[...]
Michael Behiels, a political and constitutional historian and professor emeritus at the University of Ottawa, said the rise of global cities such as Toronto demands deeper local representation, rather than the thinner municipal government Ford envisions. Much is at stake, he said, arguing that there will be less room for entry-level politicians on city council to learn the craft of governing in Canada’s biggest city, and that citizens may feel disengaged when tens of thousands of people are represented by a single person.

“If you’re going to rejig the city, let’s think about it from top to bottom, and get it right, because the 50-year future of that city is at stake,” Behiels said.

Siemiatycki said these discussions are likely to continue as Tory pushes for a referendum on Ford’s changes and others call for legal challenges to prevent them from happening. And with the federal government opening the door to a more direct relationship with municipalities, more avenues of cooperation could open up soon, he said.

“Around the world there’s a recognition that cities are increasingly critical,” he said. “Those are the next fronts in this skirmish.”
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...tutional-fight-over-toronto-council-cuts.html
Absolutely.

Bring it on! But first let's steal Dougie's Cap and Trade it! lol...Ahhh, see Dougie cry. Take it to court Dougie!

The money's going directly to taxpayers, but from the Feds, and perhaps some extra to Toronto. Shades of Berlin when the blockade went up.

Last edited:
I don't understand what the motivation is for councillors to be in favour of fewer wards when their own jobs are at stake. I'm looking in my own area, Gary Crawford and Michelle Whatshernametoday who will likely be going against each other. She won quite handily last election but he didn't do as well. Has Ford promised them something? Does anyone get it because I'm left scratching my head.

I don't understand what the motivation is for councillors to be in favour of fewer wards when their own jobs are at stake. I'm looking in my own area, Gary Crawford and Michelle Whatshernametoday who will likely be going against each other. She won quite handily last election but he didn't do as well. Has Ford promised them something? Does anyone get it because I'm left scratching my head.

I live in Michelles ward as well. I find her to be a kiss ass whose only goal is to be powerful politically speaking. When the liberals were tanking she distanced herself from Lorenzo and the liberals and got closer to the PC party.

Here was my response on Twitter to her tweet praising Doug Ford.

Screenshot_20180730-213945_Twitter.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180730-213945_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20180730-213945_Twitter.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 373
Sacrifices for der Führer.

Back