News   Apr 25, 2024
 354     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From the Toronto Sun, at this link:

LEVY: Doug Ford needs to cut Toronto council in half...and now

S.O.S.

Paging Premier Doug Ford.

We’ve got a SNAFU needing your attention at Toronto City Hall.

There’s no better time than the present to modify the City of Toronto Act and cut Toronto city council in half –before the city is stuck later this year with an even more unwieldy council of 47 ward bosses making $114,306 each plus benefits.

The 25 would mirror the federal and provincial election districts.

The new premier would also be well-advised to implement a strong mayor system. That would avoid the perennial issue of the mayor being just one vote amongst the various agendas of 25 or 44 or 47 ward bosses — making it difficult to get any policy through council without pandering to the pet interests of a long list of councillors.

A strong mayor would have the power to craft a city budget, to hire and fire key city officials and to veto decisions by council.

To avoid the problem of seat-warmers making municipal politics jobs for life, the new premier should also consider imposing term limits of no more than three consecutive terms (or 12 years in total).

Think about the alternative. Some of the people running for re-election give a whole new meaning to the three Rs.

There’s former deputy premier George Smitherman, who left the Liberal government in a cloud of controversy. Can we say e-Health or the botched Samsung deal?

Smitherman, who was decimated by Rob Ford in the 2010 election, is now vying for a council seat in the newly redrawn Ward 23. One of his opponents is Walied Khogali, brother of infamous Black Lives Matter Toronto co-founder Yusra. Geesh.

Then there’s former council loudmouth Shelley Carroll. She resigned from council amid some teary (?) goodbyes and collected her year’s severance to run for Liberal MPP in Don Valley North. Having lost, she has now signed up to run again in her old ward boundaries, with barely an ounce of shame.

There are five Toronto school board trustees — having done such a good job of managing Toronto’s public schools (insert laugh track here) — who are trying to trade up to councillor.

The five are Jennifer Arp, Tiffany Ford, Chris Moise (Kristyn Wong-Tam’s little sycophant), Ausma Malik (Joe Cressy’s sidekick) and Ken Lister.

The last thing the city of Toronto needs is three more self-serving seat warmers like these to spend with impunity and foist more foolish policies on a city that is already sinking from “progressive” ideologies .

Commercial real estate broker Tony Natale was so concerned about the city being out of control, he took the ward boundary realignment idea to the OMB. The only private citizen to do so, he spent nearly $200,000 of his own money and through donations from others.

Councillors Giorgio Mammoliti and Justin Di Ciano also fought the proposal — which would add costs of nearly $1-million to the council budget, in addition to the scandalous $819,000 paid to consultants for a ward boundary review and $100,000 on more consultants to prepare for the OMB hearing.

However the city won, even though there was one opinion against the 47-ward idea. After city officials failed to get a bylaw passed that created 47 wards, it was snuck through by the former Liberal government and subsequently rammed through at May’s council meeting, buried in a long list of other Bills.

“We don’t have democracy in this city… just smoke and mirrors,” says Natale.

Councillor Cesar Palacio, who has fought the 47-ward idea from the get-go and has consistently pushed for 25 wards, says the “level of cynicism” is at all-time high when he goes to the doors because residents feel city services are worse than ever before.

“People out there talk about how dysfunctional council is and the sense of entitlement by the lifers (on council),” he said last week.

Natale says if council and the mayor aren’t careful about the direction they’re heading, this city could run into “major (economic) problems.

He says people can’t afford to live here, they’re working three jobs and borrowing “literally, from VISA” to meet their tax and other obligations.

“What I hear from people is that there are very few politicians they would trust,” he said, noting 25 wards provide much more voter parity than the 47-ward model.

Natale believes the October election could be postponed until November to allow the province to make the necessary changes to the City of Toronto Act and for the city to shift gears.

After that, it would be up to the current politicians, the has-beens and the wannabes to fight it out. But my prediction is that many will drop their efforts to win a council seat because it would become too darn difficult.

“This is the only way for the province and city to have credibility in reducing government expenses by reducing the cost of city council,” says Natale. “Now is the time.

1. We can start by getting rid of Mammoliti, Ford, Minnan-Wong, Holyday, and Campbell, as a start.

2. Better that we implement ranked balloting first for mayor and the councillors.

How did that silly old bag seriously write that article without actually pointing out most of the egregious seat-warmers?

What a joke. I can't believe she takes herself seriously.

Han Dong has officially registered.

That's a kick in the teeth for Kevin Vuong. I figure Ausma Malik will win that one (which at least should still be a good and deserved result), which was pretty much expected early this year once Cressy decided to run in the north half. Meanwhile, Cressy remains unopposed. The Ontario Liberals were able to knock off Rosairo Marchese in 2014 because of the condos in the south. I can see why the Liberal-affiliated candidates are tripping over each other for it.

Glenn De Baeremaker finally registered today as well. Justin Di Dunpar, Mark Grimes, and David Shiner are left. Hopefully those three forgot they have only four days left.

As someone who used to live in the area, and who voted for Dong for MPP in 2014, and Malik for trustee, I've not been impressed with the former, and have been with the latter. If I were still in the area, I would definitely be voting for Malik, despite being someone that could be considered "Liberal" aligned.

As an aside, I don't believe Liberal v NDP (or Tory) alignment is such a big deal in Municipal politics , rather more voters align themselves on a simpler small-l liberal v small-c conservative divide.

That's a kick in the teeth for Kevin Vuong. I figure Ausma Malik will win that one (which at least should still be a good and deserved result), which was pretty much expected early this year once Cressy decided to run in the north half. Meanwhile, Cressy remains unopposed. The Ontario Liberals were able to knock off Rosairo Marchese in 2014 because of the condos in the south. I can see why the Liberal-affiliated candidates are tripping over each other for it.

Glenn De Baeremaker finally registered today as well. Justin Di Dunpar, Mark Grimes, and David Shiner are left. Hopefully those three forgot they have only four days left.

Internal polls show this to be a race between Vuong and Dong. Turns out Malik has not met expectations on the campaign trail and is far behind despite her 4 year lead on name recognition.

Dong stabbing his friend in the back and then using the hashtag #gunviolence to leverage the Danforth shooting to promote his campaign launch tells you what kind of a person he is.

What a joke. I can't believe she takes herself seriously.

What makes you believe she takes herself seriously? Her private life certainly doesn't match her writing. She's an entertainer, who seldom leaves character, selling what a certain segment wants with a finesse for writing click-bait.

Offer her a good price and I suspect she would easily write pro-transit/pro-services rage-educing drivel just as easily as she writes her current drivel.

The onus is on forums to ban links to pages with zero content.

Last edited:
Internal polls show this to be a race between Vuong and Dong. Turns out Malik has not met expectations on the campaign trail and is far behind despite her 4 year lead on name recognition.

While I agree that Malik doesn’t have huge name recognition (how many DINKs in Cityplace and KW can name their school trustee?), I think she will be very strong come September, especially when the Liberal vote splits. Keep in mind that party-affiliated candidates have access to their party lists, which will mean a massive depository of fresh supporter ‘marks’ from newly elected NDP MPP Chris Glover’s successful campaign. Also, with Cressy and Layton cruising to victory, I expect many of their resources to be moved towards Malik’s campaign.

I tip my hat to Vuong, who is running a strong campaign. He's also not holding back his disappointment in Dong:

https://twitter.com/KevinVuongTO/status/1021750357712687104

Last edited:

Back