News   Jul 12, 2024
 842     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 755     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Holyday has a challenger. Former provincial NDP candidate.

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/1018957400227831808

What is Yvan Baker doing? Much more credible opponent who would have more of a chance. Interesting thing is that in the provincial election, the west side of Etobicoke-Centre (which includes much of Ward 3) yielded better results for the "progressive" Liberal/NDP vote than the East side of the riding, which went PC by much larger margins. Kelly actually won a few polls, some of the condos off of Highway 427. I think the Holyday name is too big to take down, although if Baker ran it would be close.

What is Yvan Baker doing? Much more credible opponent who would have more of a chance. Interesting thing is that in the provincial election, the west side of Etobicoke-Centre (which includes much of Ward 3) yielded better results for the "progressive" Liberal/NDP vote than the East side of the riding, which went PC by much larger margins. Kelly actually won a few polls, some of the condos off of Highway 427. I think the Holyday name is too big to take down, although if Baker ran it would be close.

Yvon Baker? The one proposing burying the entire Eglinton West LRT extension? And spent his legislative efforts on a bill to target distracted pedestrians, ignoring evidence that it pedestrian distraction isn't the reason why pedestrians are getting hit by drivers?

No thanks. He'd be marginally better than Holyday at best.

^ Kevin was also on Han's riding association executive and volunteered for him a lot.

Wow, that’s awkward. Three months ago Spadina-Fort York looked like one of the safest Liberal ridings in the province, so I don’t think either expected this predicament. It will likely “split” Liberal resources and allow Malik to sneak through the middle.

It wouldn’t be the first time card-carrying Liberals ran against each other. Alex Mazer vs Ana Bailao in 2014 and Peter Milcyzn vs. Justin Di Ciano in 2010 are recent examples.

It's a mistake for Cressy with all his name recognition to be running in the northern part of the divided ward not in Ward 20. Malik's profile fits the Annex/Harbord Village a lot better than it does King West. And now she's getting a lot of challengers.

It wouldn’t be the first time card-carrying Liberals ran against each other. Alex Mazer vs Ana Bailao in 2014 and Peter Milcyzn vs. Justin Di Ciano in 2010 are recent examples.

Also this year: Bailao vs. Palacio. Both Liberal, both incumbent. Though I'm guessing more of the Liberal machine will back Bailao.

Han Dong is running in Ward 20, as per The Star (paywalled).

https://www.thestar.com/news/toront...terans-and-rookies-square-off-in-ward-20.html

That’s a big blow for Kevin Vuong, who up until now seemed like the strongest opponent to Ausma Malik.

Han Dong is getting blowback from Liberals who see him as a backstabber after encouraging Kevin Vuong to run and accepting all of his help during the provincial campaign. I can tell you that many of Dong’s volunteers and high profile backers are sticking with Vuong. Han is making an emotional decision rather than a strategic one. He did better in the north part of the ward and should have run against Cressy. He’s underestimating Kevin who has mounted a big following from his community work.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...for-council-on-a-platform-of-road-safety.html

"Toronto’s most famous parking enforcement officer is planning to trade in his bike saddle for a seat on city council.
Kyle Ashley, the former cop who won online popularity last year by using social media to document himself ticketing drivers blocking cycling lanes, says he intends to take on Jaye Robinson in the new Ward 27..."

Jaye Robinson is scum but I don't see Kyle getting a lot of votes from a wealthy suburban riding.

The rumours are swirling again that Lucy Troisi will be throwing her hat into the Ward 21 race next week. Yes, this is the same Lucy Troisi who, when being interviewed at Council for the vacancy in Ward 28 caused by Pam McConnell's death, said in answer to a question (from Jimmy K, I think,) "I will not run in this or any other Ward". (Ward 21 is, essentially, the southern part of old Ward 28). We shall soon see if she is really "Lyin' Lucy Troisi?"

Back