News   Apr 19, 2024
 83     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 743     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.2K     2 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow, this thread went off the rails.
Well...I'm actually impressed by how *unfragile* most people are to the voices of extremism. I watched the Mayoral debate last night, with mixed impressions, no need to discuss that right now, but will discuss the repeated interruptions by the Goldy goons. If they had any kind of serious point to make, they shid all over it, and with extra time added, almost all took it in stride, and continued on.

THAT impressed me! And ditto here. if "Doug" had any pertinent, considered and buttressed points to make, they were buried under shid. His shid. Then he wonders why almost everyone calls it a stench, but some just love it. Hey....

Overall, I'm impressed with Toronto's resilience to extremist goading. It wasn't always so...And it's only holding the line by degrees...

Kristen Wong-Tam is too earthy, hippie for me. She's good but shes a little too focused on things like bike lanes the homeless. It's nice to have a feel for those issues but it is different to be focused solely on them.

Funny; I thought the more common dig at KWT is that she's too slick and yuppie (y'know, gallery-owning real estate agent prone to negotiating with developers rather than fighting them, et al--all your typical "fauxgressive" digs).

If *anyone* earned the label of someone "too" earthy and hippie and appeasing of the poor and homeless, it was (and I say this affectionately) the late Pam McConnell.

The replies just shred him.

This is the most kind to him out of them all:
Jason Stanley‏@deepdisko 14h14 hours ago
Replying to @G_Smitherman @kristynwongtam @LucyTroisi
Okay, but why does George walk like his legs are stuck inside of Pringle's tubes?

If *anyone* earned the label of someone "too" earthy and hippie and appeasing of the poor and homeless, it was (and I say this affectionately) the late Pam McConnell.
It was genuine and original with Pam. What you saw was exactly what you got. What a lovely lady...

Article on Spadina-Fort York:

Council candidate claims Cressy pressured him to drop out of race
Bryan Passifiume

Published:October 11, 2018

Updated:October 11, 2018 12:43 PM EDT

As Toronto’s election race nears the finish line, one council candidate is alleging he was pressured to drop out by a prominent incumbent — lest he put his future political aspirations in jeopardy.

Kevin Vuong, running in Ward 10 Spadina-Fort York, alleges he was summoned to a sit-down with incumbent Councillor Joe Cressy — ostensibly to discuss “the wards and politics.”

The meeting, Vuong said, took place in Canoe Landing Park shortly before the Sept. 19 Court of Appeal stay of a lower court decision to quash Bill 5.

“He wanted to give me advice — that was how he positioned it,” said Vuong, who’d previously worked alongside Cressy as co-chair of the Toronto Youth Equity Strategy.

“The advice was that I needed to consider my political future, and that I ‘do not want to piss off the NDP’ and the ‘progressives of downtown,’” Vuong said.

“The way he framed it, implying that ‘I am the progressive, and so you do not want to run against me.’”

A first-term councillor, Cressy won Ward 20 in the 2014 election by a nearly 30% margin.

That victory came four months after a bitter federal byelection defeat where Cressy — running for the NDP — lost to Liberal Adam Vaughan by nearly 7,000 votes to replace Trinity-Spadina MP Olivia Chow.

Upon the closure of municipal nominations, Vuong sent messages to fellow candidates in the newly-defined Ward 10 — including Cressy — wishing them all the best on the campaign.

Cressy’s reply was succinct: “That is a mistake. Goodbye.”

When reached for comment, a statement from Cressy’s campaign office said he “reached out to many colleagues, community leaders, and candidates.”

“I reached out to share my intentions to run for re-election, to co-ordinate with fellow downtown candidates, and to ensure we were working together to stand up to Doug Ford,” the statement read, not specifically addressing Vuong’s allegations.

Vuong, a University of Toronto law school graduate and officer in the Royal Canadian Navy, said this is the sort of thing people are tired of seeing in local politics.

“I think it’s quite hypocritical on one hand to talk about the importance of diversity and the health of our democracy, while at the same time encouraging me to think about my political future,” he said.

“To encourage me — in all ways without outright saying it — to withdraw.”

While the encounter left a bad taste in his mouth, Vuong isn’t being deterred in these final days of the campaign.

“I want to focus on the common ground, that we all love our city enough to want to serve … There’s ego here, there’s entitlement that a lot of people here are tired of in politics,” he said.

“It’s very unfortunate.”

bpassifiume@postmedia.com
On Twitter: @bryanpassifiume

That's really disappointing. And I'm more inclined to believe Vuong's take more than Cressy's response. While I like how Cressy votes on council, there are a few things I take issue with, including Cressy's entitlement. Why should he be afraid of being challenged on his record?
Politics is a very dirty 'sport' and I cannot see why anyone is surprised that Cressy (or any candidate) would try to reduce the field - especially to reduce the number of candidates who might take votes from him/her. I certainly don't blame Cressy for trying to get him to withdraw but if Mr Vuong was confident of victory he should have said 'no, I'm running".

Politics is a very dirty 'sport' and I cannot see why anyone is surprised that Cressy (or any candidate) would try to reduce the field - especially to reduce the number of candidates who might take votes from him/her. I certainly don't blame Cressy for trying to get him to withdraw but if Mr Vuong was confident of victory he should have said 'no, I'm running".

Absolutely a dirty business but its still important to call out this crap when you see it. Dont forget this is the Joe Cressy who bemoans lack of diversity in council but has no problem asking Ausma Malik and now Kevin Voung to drop out. Its clear he is protecting his hide and thats perfectly fine but that also needs to be publicized.

From link:

You can vote in Toronto’s municipal election if you are:
  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • at least 18 years old; and
  • a resident in the City of Toronto; or
  • a non-resident of Toronto, but you or your spouse own or rent property in the City; and
  • not prohibited from voting under any law
You may only vote once in the City of Toronto municipal election regardless of how many properties you own or rent within the City.

You must vote in the ward where you live.
Thankfully, a "corporation" cannot vote...

...yet. But with the Conservatives (Progressive or otherwise), you never know.

However, a non-resident person from outside of Toronto could vote if they "own or rent property in the City". Which maybe why Doug Ford had his "Fordfest" outside the city of Toronto in Vaughan. Maybe to get the non-resident of Toronto vote.

That's really disappointing. And I'm more inclined to believe Vuong's take more than Cressy's response. While I like how Cressy votes on council, there are a few things I take issue with, including Cressy's entitlement. Why should he be afraid of being challenged on his record?

..and you'd be right in believing Kevin Vuong.

1) Cressy didn’t deny it.
2) We can see it for ourselves: Ausma Malik dropped out to make way for Cressy.
3) I have direct evidence of everything written in the piece, including that Cressy pressured Kevin to drop out and threatened him with repercussions to his career. I can show this evidence to Urban Toronto editors in person if you want confirmation. All other media is welcome to view this evidence. DM me on Twitter.

All this talk about the situation in Spadina-Fort York is reminding me about Parkdale-High Park. Mark Towhey had the audacity to say that Sarah Doucette "lost the nomination" and there was actually outrage on twitter. Considering what is happening here do people really believe that she would not have been attacked if she decided to run?

And I also really curious about Toronto-Danforth. Who is the NDP supported candidate and why did the other incubant councilor decide to run.

Question about Ward 3, former ONDP and NDP (Federal) candidate Phil Trotter is canvassing with Amber Morley, yet he is representing Pamela Gough as her lawyer against the Dunpar Homes lawsuit? Or is it a different Phil Trotter?

Update on Beaches-EY, I got a live call tonight to see if I supported Brad Bradford.

Not unusual unto itself. Notable, not from volunteers but a pro research firm.

Hardly unheard of, but for a candidate w/no previous recognition and polling a distant 2nd last I saw......... very curious.

Back