News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I was a Con caucus member or minister, especially one from outside the City of Toronto, I would be frustrated as heck with this distraction. Ontario's automotive, other manufacturing and resource exports are at risk in a Nafta dispute, and the leader of my party is focused on the number of chairs at his old place of employment?

If I was a Con caucus member or minister, especially one from outside the City of Toronto, I would be frustrated as heck with this distraction. Ontario's automotive, other manufacturing and resource exports are at risk in a Nafta dispute, and the leader of my party is focused on the number of chairs at his old place of employment?

They should have been frustrated ages ago for hooking their names up with a dealer, but power is a funny thing that.

AoD

They should have been frustrated ages ago for hooking their names up with a dealer, but power is a funny thing that.

AoD
Many likely had no choice. They only get one vote each in the party leadership race, and I'm sure Ford signed up at least more people than seats in Ontario. The party leader cracks the whip. But that's why I think Ford's "Free Vote" may have a moderate chance of backfiring on him.

Ford, and the PCPO need a good reminder that we don't vote for Premier on the ballot, we vote for local party representatives.

Many likely had no choice. They only get one vote each in the party leadership race, and I'm sure Ford signed up at least more people than seats in Ontario. The party leader cracks the whip. But that's why I think Ford's "Free Vote" may have a moderate chance of backfiring on him.

Ford, and the PCPO need a good reminder that we don't vote for Premier on the ballot, we vote for local party representatives.

You always have a choice - just that most aren't willing to pay the price of that choice. They will pay in other ways later.

AoD

Last edited:
Trudeau? How? It was the provincial premiers who pushed for it, led by none other than Bill Davis and Romanow if I remember correctly. I don't believe the early drafts of the Charter of Rights contained one.

It was hardly a new idea, and a much stronger notwithstanding clause was in the 1960 Canadian Bill of Rights - years before Trudeau entered politics or even joined the Liberal Party! Are you suggesting that Trudeau - a blacklisted wannabe teacher at the time, and member of the CCF, was whispering in Diefenbaker's ear?
What?

I think best you quote references, but read them first.
Not sure where you are at issue. References ... I lived through it in the early 1980s. Memory might be faded.

But in this recent piece where Bill Davis attacks Doug Ford's use of the clause like this talks about Bill's involvement.

Former Ontario premier Bill Davis: Ford wrong to use notwithstanding clause

Amusingly Davis is quite clear, that this is absolutely not what it was intended for! Hard to imagine how even PCs can now support an incompetent and ignorant buffoon like Doug Ford!

I pretty much just vote for the party leader... I don't even know the name of the NDP person I elected. What was most important was that the NDP got votes.

Last edited:
People aren't going to turn on a majority Premier so fast. It will take time. The conservatives were dying to get into power and it didn't matter who got them there. Similar to Trump in the states. Only now are people turning on Trump and it will take similar time for Ford to seal his doom. Try this stunt next year and it might be a completely different story.

Right now people are going to cozy up to him to hopefully move their careers forward.

People aren't going to turn on a majority Premier so fast. It will take time. The conservatives were dying to get into power and it didn't matter who got them there. Similar to Trump in the states. Only now are people turning on Trump and it will take similar time for Ford to seal his doom. Try this stunt next year and it might be a completely different story.

Right now people are going to cozy up to him to hopefully move their careers forward.
Except that with Trump, he can rightfully claim to have been voted into power. Ford is just a hatrack that the PCPO put their fedoras on this week. He can be removed from leadership far easier than Trump, where a handful of completely nuclear options are the only tools available.

Ummm...aren't you missing the elephant in the chamber?

Bill 5, hello!
I dont think Bill 5 is going to make a difference even if its being used ridiculously.. These people are simply going to say that by doing this it is helping Ford and the PCs fulfill their mandate without wasting any more time or money. Its a joke . But no one turns on the new boss so fast.

Except that with Trump, he can rightfully claim to have been voted into power. Ford is just a hatrack that the PCPO put their fedoras on this week. He can be removed from leadership far easier than Trump, where a handful of completely nuclear options are the only tools available.
Sure he can be turfed easier... that doesn't mean he will be... As long as those like OneCity think he is their man for lower taxes, and subways, subways, subways they will look the other way. Similar how it took forever for people to turn on Rob Ford. Crazy enough Rob might have won Mayor again despite everything.

Back