News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont think Bill 5 is going to make a difference even if its being used ridiculously.. These people are simply going to say that by doing this it is helping Ford and the PCs fulfill their mandate without wasting any more time or money. Its a joke . But no one turns on the new boss so fast.
Huh? This is nothing to do with "what people think". It's to do with the LAW! Here and now. And however Bill 5 in amended form is to receive Royal Assent...or not!

The elephant is too big for you to see evidently.

Do you support Premier Doug Ford’s decision to use the notwithstanding clause to push ahead with his plan to downsize city council?” was the poll question on torontosun.com.

As of deadline Tuesday a whopping 13,248 voted.

And 80.4% — or 10,651 voters — said yes. The number of those who voted no was 2,597 which adds up to 19.6%.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM!!!

Yes, but which poll is Ford going to be brandishing in the Legislature and in caucus meetings?

Do you support Premier Doug Ford’s decision to use the notwithstanding clause to push ahead with his plan to downsize city council?” was the poll question on torontosun.com.

As of deadline Tuesday a whopping 13,248 voted.

And 80.4% — or 10,651 voters — said yes. The number of those who voted no was 2,597 which adds up to 19.6%.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM!!!

And I can walk into a kennel and find a majority of dogs that'll like Milk Bones. Confirmation bias beware. The Sun is the lowest-read of the papers in this city.

It's the moderates, the hold-your-nosers, the Davis conservatives that Ford needs to be wary of.

And I can walk into a kennel and find a majority of dogs that'll like Milk Bones. Confirmation bias beware. The Sun is the lowest-read of the papers in this city.

It's the moderates, the hold-your-nosers, the Davis conservatives that Ford needs to be wary of.

It's safe to say Ford won't be tossed until there is a bad story in the Sun about him or majority of the polls put the PC Party at a low level of support compared to the NDP or even worse the liberals. If they think Fire Marshall Bill here is going to be more unpopular than the Liberals or the NDP because of his policies they will toss him to save face.

Listen I never read the SUN... I just googled up a quick poll. Whether I read the SUN or not is not the point. What matters though is that many FORD supporters do read the SUN. I wish I could find a poll to back up that statement but I can't. What I can find is The Sun endorsing Ford.

I too am highly skeptical of there being any chance that Ford will lose caucus support anytime soon. For evidence, consider the Republican ingrates who are supporting Trump through his fiasco of a presidency just because he hovers around 90% support in the Republican base.

Since Ford too plays to a quasi-religious base, I'm not sure there's too great of a chance he'll lose hold of caucus anytime soon.

Not sure where you are at issue. References ... I lived through it in the early 1980s. Memory might be faded.

But in this recent piece where Bill Davis attacks Doug Ford's use of the clause like this talks about Bill's involvement.

Former Ontario premier Bill Davis: Ford wrong to use notwithstanding clause

Amusingly Davis is quite clear, that this is absolutely not what it was intended for! Hard to imagine how even PCs can now support an incompetent and ignorant buffoon like Doug Ford!

Great, but if they really wanted to further limit the use of Section 33, they should have made that explicit. How extremely naive of them to think it would always be invoked appropriately!

Dragging grannies out of the Legislature is shameful, and so is for Ford to state that he will use Section 33 whenever he feels like it.

We have a choice between disallowing his coming bill or letting him (and future politicians) wipe himself with the Charter. Unfortunately, Trudeau, who is constantly going on about human rights, is nothing more than "disappointed". So am I.

Though there should be a mix--of those who are academically inclined, those successful in business, those successful in community organizing--it's people of this caliber that I want in government, whether I agree with their politics or not.

I just find it offensive that people like Doug Ford succeed when there are so many people so much more accomplished and honourable. The deeper irony, of course, is that do-it-yerself populism is entirely at odds with the fact that he's likely never had a single job interview in his life and was able to walk into Deco and carve out an upper-middle class lifestyle from day one.

Which makes his arrogance and sense of entitlement all the more disgusting.

There hasn't been a high profile political assassination attempt for a long time.

Back