News   Mar 18, 2024
 689     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 759     0 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

the libs are still very much competitive.. they are very, very far from done. The poll from the star this morning has them actually up in terms of seats from their pre-election position in the legislature.

Then you have to remember that in 2011 the first polls had the PCs forming a majority.. and look what they ended up with from that.

What percentage of income are you comfortable with everyone paying to the province?
The solution can not be higher taxes anytime the government wants to spend more than it has.

I just completed my taxes recently. The Health Premium was 11.4% for me and 23.5% for my wife. And at the same time, eye exams and chiropractor services were de-listed. How many double digit tax increases will be required?

Should we not also consider how much we get back (directly and indirectly) in government services?
Definitely, and I have not suggested otherwise. What I want us to understand is just how much tax we pay, especially when the govt is asking for tax increases. One should certainly also consider how much they benefit from those taxes, especially when the govt is asking to reduce those benefits. Paying more for less seems to be the story nowadays.

If you guys feel this way then vote them out. Wynne was a minister of a different profile, she does not deserve the punish she is about to get. Andrea Horvath, if she wins is going to find out the hard way leading is harder then talking.

She was part of the re-election campaign. And all the lies from every liberal who stated they did not know who actually cancelled the plants at the beginning and what the costs were. Then the deletion of emails

I am hearing a lot of normally left group angry that Horwath called this election. People thought the budget was good and she opening the door for a potential Hudak win. I also heard from strategist that it makes little sense for Horwath to call the election now because the angry errrr gas plants voters are probably going to vote PC. If she wanted to get some of that vote she should have called it last year, now she will just get blamed for an early election as most just wonder "You waited this long, why not just wait the entire term". As left-wing voters will probably side with liberal thinking it's a safer bet to defeat Hudak and not liking the NDP political move after a good left-wing budget.

It way too early to predict the winner and the polls haven't really stabilized yet. But Wynne has been the most impressive of the leaders so far. Her handling of Ford was super, while Horwath called him "courageous" recently and Hudak was well Hudak (I know Ford has little to do with this election but it did impress me). Wynne has been put in a tough situation especially whos party has been in power for a decade (which is a long time) but Wynne has done a good job trying to keep the party stable and a float. Horwath has had a really bad year I think and Hudak, well Hudak is Hudak.

Looking at TrinSpa. The federal Liberal's brought out some all-star candidates for this location. But provincially it's almost seems like they are conceding defeat. Thomson came within a dreadlock defeating Marchese last time, which came as a big surprise (I think even to the Liberal party, as I don't think they put too much focus in TrinSpa) With a strong candidate and more focus they might have tipped the scales.

As looking at the recent poll, I wonder if they overrate the Green party. They are polling at 6% (Green got 3% in the last election) These early type of touch-tone phone polls can sometimes exaggerate secondary parties like Green, as somebody who might think it a good idea to vote for an alternative party while taking a poll, might get second thoughts when actually getting into the voting booth and than re-think that option and go with the "lesser of the mainstream evils"

So I'm mentally ill if I disagree with you? Let's wait until after the election.

It's certainly Hudak's to lose. Wynne should have called an election earlier, in order to purge any thoughts of McGuinty Lite.

Agreed. I think Kathleen is a good person, she's just been sandbagged by Dalton and his problems. Hudak should be on monster.ca looking for a job on June 13 if he does not pull out.

The Liberals are done, if you don't think so you're nuts at this point.
Various polls show them neck-in-neck or slightly in front of the Tories. Even today's poll pointed to a Liberal minority.

In Toronto, the Tories seem done.

Where do you get off calling people names? What is wrong with you?

You buy a pack of paper towels for x price. In that price is the HST the transport firm paid for fuel, the HST the store paid for everything from lightbulbs to floor cleaning, etc. The production, transport and sale of that pack of towels includes multiple layers of various taxes, all of which are paid for by the end customer, well before he/she pays the final HST on x price. Add on top of that the income tax taken off the customer's gross income before they can buy the paper towel, and surely you see the massive layer of taxes the average person pays.
No, that's not how it works. That's how the old PST and the old MST worked, but not the GST and HST. That's why we replaced the MST with GST and then the GST/PST with the HST.

If you buy a widget, you pay 13% tax on the cost of the widget. The vendor collects the 13% tax, subtracts any HST he has paid (on any of his expenses ... gasoline, parts, repairs, the purchase of widgets from the wholesaler - these are called input tax credits), and only sends the DIFFERENCE to the government.

I really didn't think the comment was that offensive.
You think it's okay to call people you disagree with nuts?

Why the prejudice against those with mental illnesses? And why suggest those you disagree with have mental illnesses?

Simply because you support the NDP isn't a reason to start calling people names.

True, but the hate for Wynne I've heard is unbelievable.
Why? I have no idea where this is coming from. She seems honest, ethical, wants to do the right thing. No evidence of any shady stuff. Hudak's attempts to tar her with the previous government's sins only landed him in court.

I don't share, but I can understand hate for someone like Hudak, given his continuing support for Rob For, his own hatred, and anti-gay propaganda during the last election. But I don't understand such reacton to Wynne.

I also don't understand how this comes up on GO Transit? I took two GO trains on the weekend, and just like all my previous GO trips, I didn't hear any comments about any Premiers. In 30 years of public transit use, the only politicians I've really heard negative comments about on public transit has been Rob Ford and Margaret Thatcher.

Last edited:
True, but the hate for Wynne I've heard is unbelievable. I don't know how the Liberals think they can win this one.

The hate is very concentrated, and it doesn't help to persuade anyone who is on the fence. If you're trying to decide who to vote for, someone spewing hate at you isn't going to make you want to back their candidate. Conservatives have a strong base, but I don't see how it can grow.

You think it's okay to call people you disagree with nuts?

Why the prejudice against those with mental illnesses? And why suggest those you disagree with have mental illnesses?

Simply because you support the NDP isn't a reason to start calling people names.

Why? I have no idea where this is coming from. She seems honest, ethical, wants to do the right thing. No evidence of any shady stuff. Hudak's attempts to tar her with the previous government's sins only landed him in court.

I don't share, but I can understand hate for someone like Hudak, given his continuing support for Rob For, his own hatred, and anti-gay propaganda during the last election. But I don't understand such reacton to Wynne.

I also don't understand how this comes up on GO Transit? I took two GO trains on the weekend, and just like all my previous GO trips, I didn't hear any comments about any Premiers. In 30 years of public transit use, the only politicians I've really heard negative comments about on public transit has been Rob Ford and Margaret Thatcher.

So, just because you didn't hear it, it does not exist?

Back