News   Jul 16, 2024
 488     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Finally...

From The Star, at this link:

Karen Stintz slams Rob Ford as ‘misogynistic, bigoted, homophobic’

Stintz’s words are the strongest used to date by any of Ford’s rivals, who have generally exercised caution in responding to the incumbent’s slurs.

stintz.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Karen Stintz address the Women's Executive Network at the Ritz-Carlton hotel on Thursday.

Rob Ford is “misogynistic, bigoted, homophobic,†mayoral candidate Karen Stintz told a gathering of businesswomen on Thursday.

Stintz’s words are the strongest used to date by any of Ford’s primary rivals, who have generally exercised caution in responding to the incumbent’s racial and anti-gay slurs and offensive comments about women. She uttered them soon after she spoke favourably of Ford’s policy record.

“I would say probably for the first two years, despite some of his missteps, he was probably, by and large, doing the job that people expected him to do,†Stintz said.

She offered praise for some of Ford’s fiscal accomplishments, such as outsourcing garbage collection and signing money-saving collective agreements with the municipal unions. She said those are also her accomplishments, since she supported the measures as a councillor.

“So I take some issue with the fact that Rob speaks as if he’s the only one with a record. Because I have that record too, but one thing I don’t have is a belief system that is misogynistic, bigoted, homophobic, rude. I don’t break the law on a regular basis. It’s true — once I was caught going through a stop sign on my bike.â€

Ford was recorded making a vulgar comment about Stintz in an audiotape recorded in April. He has now taken a leave of absence to address his substance abuse problem.

Stintz addressed a gathering of the Women’s Executive Network at the Ritz-Carlton hotel on Wellington St. W. She spoke without notes and earned laughs with anecdotes about her family and career path.

Stintz, the TTC chair for most of the term, successfully pushed for a subway extension to the Scarborough RT rather than the approved light rail line she originally advocated. Mayoral candidates Olivia Chow and David Soknacki now want to return to light rail. Without mentioning her own history on the file, Stintz argued that transit plans should not be altered.

“The one thing we cannot do, whether you agree or disagree with the plan . . . is revisit a transit plan again. We have to break the cycle of changing our transit plan with every election. People ask me why doesn’t transit get built. I tell them transit doesn’t get built because we keep changing the plans,†she said.

In response to a question from an attendee, Stintz touted her plan to fund the eastern portion of the downtown relief line subway. The plan, which involves the sale of a majority stake in Toronto Hydro, would also require $1 billion, over a number of years, from traffic-enforcement and parking revenues that would otherwise pay for different items in the city budget.

Stintz refused to say what services she would cut to compensate for the redirected funds.

“No, those are decisions for council. We’ll make congestion a priority, and once w do that, we’ll find a way to fund it,†she told reporters after the speech

Enough about f#cking job creation! Why does every right leaning politco think its a govt's primary job to create jobs. Here's an idea, I'll find my own job by ensuring I have skills and abilities that are both in demand and in short supply, and the govt can focus on providing services in a prudent and careful way.

Enough about services. I can take care of myself and do not need government to do this. Of course, there are some who need services, just like there are some who need assistance getting a job - but we should not concentrate on those less fortunate, we should only consider those who have all the skills to take care of themselves.

Enough about services. I can take care of myself and do not need government to do this. Of course, there are some who need services, just like there are some who need assistance getting a job - but we should not concentrate on those less fortunate, we should only consider those who have all the skills to take care of themselves.
I'm not talking about social assistance. I'm referring to gov't's role of making sure the roads, sewers and infrastructure work, that the police and emergency services are there when needed, that parks are maintained, that permits are reviewed and issued, etc., etc.

Enough about f#cking job creation! Why does every right leaning politco think its a govt's primary job to create jobs. Here's an idea, I'll find my own job by ensuring I have skills and abilities that are both in demand and in short supply, and the govt can focus on providing services in a prudent and careful way.
Exactly, the government does not create jobs.

What about the parks? Maybe you want everyone to pay an admission fee to use the parks? Maybe use the fees the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority charges for their parks? See link.

Per Person Price
Adult (15+) $6.50
Senior (60+) $5.50
Child (Infant-14) with their family FREE
Kortright Centre Parking $4.00
Schools/Day Camps
Price** Child any age (no tax) $3.00
Supervisors 1/10 Free
Additional Adult $6.50 - See more at: http://www.trca.on.ca/enjoy/fees.dot#sthash.YanjIeWy.dpuf

Oh wait!! Bad idea! Rob Ford might hear about this.

Karen Stintz, David Soknacki and Olivia Chow oppose PC Leader Tim Hudak’s campaign pledge to cancel the Finch Ave. West and Sheppard Ave. E. light rail lines. John Tory won’t yet express an opinion.

14178390016_d89445b85e_m.jpg

Oh and I LOL at Karen Stintz

“I need every provincial leader to understand how important it is: if we’re going to deal with congestion, we need to build the funded transit plans that have been approved,” said Stintz

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...e_hudak_plan_to_scrap_lrts_tory_wont_say.html

Tory is being made into kind of a joke with his inability to ever answer a question straight up. All his answers from bike lanes to public//private transit is this wishy washy double talk.

Tory is being made into kind of a joke with his inability to ever answer a question straight up. All his answers from bike lanes to public//private transit is this wishy washy double talk.

I kind of respect that. Instead of giving an answer with little value or one that you're not 100% sold on, you should give an educated answer. If he first consults with his advisors and formulates an educated and developed answer/proposal to an issue it's a lot better than flip flopping on your decision, or giving a punchline answer with little meaning (a la Stintz and Chow, respectively).

Have you paid attention to Tory over the past 10-15 years? It's what he does -- gets crazy ideas and acts wishy washy. No educated and developed proposals here.

How/Why is no one taking this to task?

Why should we not concentrate on those less fortunate, and only those who have all the skills to take care of themselves, BurlOak?

Last edited:

Back