News   Jul 16, 2024
 93     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 460     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 568     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

WislaHD:

And what 'Fordian' policy has Tory spouted that none of the other candidates have endorsed? I bet you can't name one (serious) policy of Ford's that at least Stintz, who seems to be running closest to Ford's policies on transit and taxes, hasn't also endorsed.

But it's not even that. I can guarantee you that Tory DOES NOT SMOKE CRACK. He will SHOW UP AT WORK BEFORE NOON.

So, ridicule him on his POLICIES, or lack thereof. All I'm saying is don't call him 'Fordian', because no candidate, including Tory, is that massively incompetant and inappropriate for office.

Last edited:
So the 'Chow is worse than Ford' dementia has now affected Tory haters? Make no mistake, I'm not a fan of some of his policies (particulary on transit), but he has been a responsible manager of a very large corporation, and HE DOESN'T SMOKE CRACK IN DRUNKEN STUPORS.

There is NO equivalent amongst the leading and respectable fringe candidates to Ford. The only thing, THE ONLY THING, that 100% for certain has to happen in this election is that Ford must be defeated.

I have no issue with people being passionate for or against the other candidates. But you lose me every time you make a Godwin's Law reference to Ford -- Fordwin's Law?

I have been one of Tory's most vocal critics on this board, but I agree with you that it's ridiculous to say that Tory is as bad as Ford.

That said, I've lost a lot of faith in Tory's abilities since the beginning of this campaign. I also question whether or not he can be considered a "responsible manager". He certainly has a history of being a bad manager when it comes to the political world. I have yet to see any evidence that he was a particularly good manager in the private sector either. He was born into privilege and was practically handed a monopoly corporation to run for 4 years. He's no Michael Bloomberg.

It's unfortunate that a lot of people still see a white guy wearing a suit who calls himself a "businessman" and jump to the conclusion that he would be a good manager. I've spoken with a lot of people who say they're going to vote for Tory because Toronto needs a good manager - but they can't give me any evidence that Tory's actually a good manager.

Agreed. No candidate is anywhere near as unelectable as Ford. And you could probably push that out to almost any election in the world as long as it is a functioning democracy. Of course people will dig up exceptions - but how far you would have to go to suggest an exception would likely be enlightening in itself.

There is a debate at city hall tonight but it's not on tv. Daniel Dale said he would be live tweeting

I agree that Tory is no where as horrible a human being as Ford. But I lost all respect for him as a talk show host who refused to speak out against Ford but actually spend most of his time trying to convince everybody why Ford should get the "benefit of the doubt". He was pretty spineless in the last four years as talk show host during the Ford years. His policy hasn't really impressed either and seems to be easily intimidated by the people who yell the loudest.

Even his business work is a lot more quantity than quality, he really reminds of Paul Godfrey in a way, Tory was involved in a lot of things but I don't think he was great at any of it. When Tory was CFL commissioner, it was during CFL weakest point. His talk show stint, did he really stand up or make a difference?

Polls Last week Forum came out with some polls. Here is the result
5 candidates: Chow 36%... Tory 27%... RFord 24%... Stintz 3%... Soknacki 3%
Ford Removed: Chow 39%... Tory 36%... Stintz 6%... Soknacki 4%
Top 3 candidates: Chow 36 %... Tory 31%... RFord 27%
Doug replace Rob: Chow 37%... Tory 26%... DFord 20%... Stintz 4%... Soknacki 4%
Top 3 Doug as candidate: Chow 40%... Tory 31%... DFord 21%

Approval rating: Tory 68%... Chow 59%... Soknacki 50%... Stintz 49%... RFord 32%... DFord 30%.... Doug Ford is as popular as a toothache, Rob approval is as low as the Montreal mayor when he was in prison. Sometimes these poll numbers make no sense. I am not sure how Chow is stuck at 36 % with our without Stintz & Soknacki in the race, but the same scenario (S&S leaving the race) with Doug in it she jumps from 37% to 40%.

i wish there was a candidate suggesting this...

[video=youtube;qlTA3rnpgzU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU#t=71[/video]

Here are the upcoming debates:

@ddale8: There are debates planned for June 4, June 16, June 18. And there's a televised Rogers one on June 23." #TOpoli #voteTO

I would love it if Ari G got included!

i wish there was a candidate suggesting this...

[video=youtube;qlTA3rnpgzU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU#t=71[/video]
I totally agree EB.
I have tweeted to different mayoral candidates about food security, environmental concerns, being ready for climate change etc. No one has responded except Ari G.

If anyone's currently being excessively smeared by the "Fordian policy" slur, it's Andrea Horwath.

I agree that Tory is no where as horrible a human being as Ford. But I lost all respect for him as a talk show host who refused to speak out against Ford but actually spend most of his time trying to convince everybody why Ford should get the "benefit of the doubt". He was pretty spineless in the last four years as talk show host during the Ford years. His policy hasn't really impressed either and seems to be easily intimidated by the people who yell the loudest.
I suppose he's playing politics here and trying not to make "Ford Nation" feel TOO stupid for their 2010 vote. Nonetheless, his spineless 'benefit of the doubt' stance with Rob Ford, despite scandal after increasing scandal, left me with the feeling that he's not much of a leader whatsoever (or talk show host for that matter).

Back