News   Jul 16, 2024
 444     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 552     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Hello, TheTigerMaster - Yes, I do believe I could do more for the city than a pile of rocks could :) Mainly because where other career politicians talk, I listen. And I reflect citizen’s concerns in my plan. I am grateful for the presence of forums such as this, since it helps me see that there are many concerned, engaged Torontonians out there. I will be sure to check in here regularly and comment constructively wherever I can. Not as merely a mayoral candidate, but as someone actively interested in the development of this city. - AG
Hey, nice to see you! And yes, do come back. This forum is great.

Mainly because where other career politicians talk, I listen.
Statements like this can be somewhat Fordian. Demonize the political class as a whole, then represent yourself as the antidote. I think most politicians do listen. If anything, in decisions like the Gas Plants or the Scarborough Subway or other NIMBY concerns they can listen too much, making weak decisions in an effort to be seen to be responsive to citizens.

That said, I truly wish that our campaign, both for mayor and council, gave a lot more play to new candidates. Last election Thomson and Rossi managed to get the attention necessary to make a serious run for the office and they both turned out to be first-team flakes, but still we have no chance of electing someone like Neshi if we don't give anyone but a couple frontrunners and the disgraced incumbent a chance. Given the shock to the system that Ford should be, old party hacks like Tory and Chow, pretty much begged to step into the election because they were the only names prominent enough to give us assurance (pre the last few months) that Ford would be defeated, are to me really uninspiring. I don't know that someone like Soknacki or Goldkind is what the city needs, but we won't find what the city needs unless we give people like them the opportunity to seriously contend.

reporterdonpeat 5:24pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®
"John Tory will make a policy announcement about creating 70,000 jobs tomorrow" John Tory campaign press release.

70,000 jobs tomorrow? Great. I'll call my boss in the morning and tell her I quit.

Though I think at first I will apply for a job in Tory's media department - they need help writing
obviously.

Tomorrow!!!! Magic!!

Wow, I wonder what kind of jobs they'll be. This is really exciting!

In other news, if Ontario's unemployed number only ~550,000 then why is Hudak trying to create 1,000,000 jobs? I don't get it. Is it going to be compulsory for half a million Ontarians to have two jobs? :p

Yes. And you should be happy that it's only two jobs you stupid leftie.

I kid. In reality it's a combination of population growth, bullshit and people working multiple jobs. Mostly the second one on that list ;)

With the ever increasing cost of living in this city, I wouldn't be surprised if working 2 jobs becomes the norm a la NYC.

"John Tory will make a policy announcement about creating 70,000 jobs tomorrow" John Tory campaign press release.
Enough about f#cking job creation! Why does every right leaning politco think its a govt's primary job to create jobs. Here's an idea, I'll find my own job by ensuring I have skills and abilities that are both in demand and in short supply, and the govt can focus on providing services in a prudent and careful way.

If this policy announcement is anything like his previous ones, it will be the following:

"As a former CEO for a major company, I understand the importance of job creation. That's why if I'm mayor I will create 70,000 jobs. Thank you for your time. No questions, please."

The real problem are the low, low wages in the Far East taking manufacturing jobs away from here. If Hudak could make the Far East factories pay a decent wage... maybe the manufacturing jobs would return here.

Meanwhile, fast-food protests are spreading to 30 countries. See link.

It also comes as President Barack Obama works to raise the (U.S.) federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour. The current rate of $7.25 an hour, which was last raised in 2009

Back