News   May 02, 2024
 297     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 167     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 222     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Hmmmmm.... This race is going to heat up really fast. What do you guys think are the strengths and weakness of the mayor candidates like Ford, Sokancki and Stintz?

Soknacki's problem is obviously going to be name-recognition. Nobody has heard of him, and unfortunately nobody will take interest in him if he sticks to talking policy. I don't know how he will overcome that, but on the other hand he provides right-leaning voters with an alternative to Ford and Tory, offers different policies from the other candidates (Ford despite his rhetoric and Tory both seemed to have forgotten what it means to be fiscally conservative) some of which can be considered 'hip' and popular like his LRT plans, and his focus on policy talk is a breath of fresh air from Ford's tenure and that I think could be his biggest asset in attracting votes from Torontonians with backgrounds in education and business who will be more inclined to vote this time around in order to rid the city of the laughing stock that is our present mayor.

I do see Soknacki as the dark horse of this race. If his campaign for mayor gains traction, I wouldn't be shocked if he overtakes Tory in the polls. Despite his LRT plans (people on this forum have convinced me that reverting back at this point isn't ideal, though try explaining that to /r/Toronto haha), he is my favorite candidate officially entered in the race so far.

As for Ford... The unfortunate reality of his scandals is that he has become a house-hold name, any press is good press. Someone a few weeks back mentioned what this might mean for the polls, especially if voters who are usually politically apathetic but do care for the entertainment value of our mayor find their ways to the polling stations. I believe the person coined it the 'Kardashian Effect', which works for me. From the perspective of political science, it will be interesting to see if that theory has any weight come October. Judging from facebook, I do (unfortunately) know of some individuals that have said they will be following this behavior, if they act on it is another thing.

Last edited:
Soknakis transit priorities are utter crock sh** other than the DRL. The promise to accellerate a project that the city doesn't control is impossible, as well as the fact that reinstating the LRT is not a political reality. People way too often seem to forget the province exists when it comes to transit expansion, despite the fact that they are the ones driving most of it.

I really don't care about what any of these candidates have to say about provincial projects, including the Relief Line. Theyre a done deal. When they bring something new to the table with a plan to pay for it I'll take then seriously.

What does playing golf have to do job performance, and getting or not getting a raise? What happened to that good old fashioned meritocracy I keep hearing about?

Golf gets you two hours with your customers, suppliers or colleagues. What else are you going to talk about other than work. It's the info gathering and networking that key on the golf course. And if you know more about the market and build relationships with the top contacts, you'll have the tools to improve your job performance. It's all about what you know and who you know - get that and you'll legitmately outperform anyone in the same role who doesn't join in.

Of course this applies more for sales, marketing and procurement roles.

Golf gets you two hours with your customers, suppliers or colleagues. What else are you going to talk about other than work. It's the info gathering and networking that key on the golf course. And if you know more about the market and build relationships with the top contacts, you'll have the tools to improve your job performance. It's all about what you know and who you know - get that and you'll legitmately outperform anyone in the same role who doesn't join in.

Of course this applies more for sales, marketing and procurement roles.

Sure, whatever. As you said, it only applies to specific occupations. Worst of all, he picked one of the most exclusive, straight white male activity on earth. Do you think that makes women who want to accomplish things in this world feel better about their chances to move up? Or how about a black kid from Malvern? Can you imagine the furor if the new female CEO of GM, Mary Barra, told her subordinates that in addition to working, they would all have to take vendors out to do Zumba?

My earlier point was that dweeby Don Draper wannabes are the ones that constantly complain about fairness and "meritocracy", but apparently I need to have a guaranteed tee time in order to join your circlejerk club anyway, all else being equal. People like John Tory want to have their cake and eat it too. The sad thing is that he gets what he wants, and writes the rules to make sure of it, because he won the birth lottery. He suffers from a case of Romney, and at this point of his life, it looks terminal.

My earlier point was that dweeby Don Draper wannabes are the ones that constantly complain about fairness and "meritocracy", but apparently I need to have a guaranteed tee time in order to join your circlejerk club anyway, all else being equal.

Is this some sort of revelation to you that the business world is more about who you know than the work you do? Networking is how you get ahead, and for some professions, that means golf still.

Is this some sort of revelation to you that the business world is more about who you know than the work you do? Networking is how you get ahead, and for some professions, that means golf still.

How about reading that quote within the context of the rest of my post? Clearly, I understand how the world has worked/does work. That doesn't make it okay, nor does it guarantee that that is how it can or will work in the future.

If I wasn't clear: no, I do not believe there is such a thing as true workplace meritocracy, nor should there be.

Golf, while being better than networking at Gillys, still isn't exactly a big tent activity, and clearly favours certain people. As I said before, the ball is in John Tory's court to be asking these questions. A truly good manager should be a life long learner, considering alternative scenarios and challenging the status quo. If he refuses to, fine. But he (and people like him) shouldn't act all surprised when his bygone era sensibilities get challenged and he ultimately is beaten by someone who actually gets it. It's not a liberal conspiracy, it's not a bunch of rabble rousers; it's the rest of the world moving past you.

A truly good manager should be a life long learner, considering alternative scenarios and challenging the status quo.

He's a radio show host. Talking about an article. Not some mid level manager hiring and firing people on a daily basis. He isn't obligated to change the world, or twist his personal experiences to best suit people's precious sensibilities.

It's not a liberal conspiracy, it's not a bunch of rabble rousers; it's the rest of the world moving past you.
Let me know when the world no longer does business through networking, and the people who get the most grease are the squeaky wheels.

He's a radio show host. Talking about an article. Not some mid level manager hiring and firing people on a daily basis. He isn't obligated to change the world, or twist his personal experiences to best suit people's precious sensibilities.

Let me know when the world no longer does business through networking, and the people who get the most grease are the squeaky wheels.

Picard, it seems like you are being deliberately obtuse.
Perhaps you just don't get other people's realities either.
Tory is supposed to be considering running for mayor. That is why he is being discussed here. That is why his obtuse view of women and the challenges they face in the working world are being discussed here. Not because he is a radio show host. But because he could be a potential candidate to represent one of the most diverse cities in the world.
This city is comprised of a lot of different kinds of people, most of whom don't know how to play golf, and would never get a chance to grease any wheels because of their class, gender, race, or sexual orientation.

How about reading that quote within the context of the rest of my post? Clearly, I understand how the world has worked/does work. That doesn't make it okay, nor does it guarantee that that is how it can or will work in the future.

If I wasn't clear: no, I do not believe there is such a thing as true workplace meritocracy, nor should there be.

Golf, while being better than networking at Gillys, still isn't exactly a big tent activity, and clearly favours certain people. As I said before, the ball is in John Tory's court to be asking these questions. A truly good manager should be a life long learner, considering alternative scenarios and challenging the status quo. If he refuses to, fine. But he (and people like him) shouldn't act all surprised when his bygone era sensibilities get challenged and he ultimately is beaten by someone who actually gets it. It's not a liberal conspiracy, it's not a bunch of rabble rousers; it's the rest of the world moving past you.
Great explanation SP!
Sometimes, people will be too blinded by their own privilege to clearly see the reality of others.

If he thinks he can be mayor, he is absolutely in a position to change things. Stop removing context here.

One of the things I like to see in public figures is the ability to grow and learn, or at the very least, recognize that their experience is one of billions.

Also, I never said networking isn't important, where did you get that? I reiterate, to say that a systemic depression of wages is because women don't play enough golf (or don't negotiate aggressively because vaginas), is out of touch at best, and trivializes the issue of pay equity at worst. Not a good look.

~~
And honestly, why the hell am I an elitist when I debate about socio-economic issues, but talking about country club deal making is apparently something everyone is expected to understand. (this is not directed at anyone in particular)

This city is comprised of a lot of different kinds of people, most of whom don't know how to play golf, and would never get a chance to grease any wheels because of their class, gender, race, or sexual orientation.

Bingo!!

Favourite line of the privileged: "That's just the way the world is."

Here are a couple ways that things could actually be changed: (1) Formalized systems of compensation that rely on measurable performance criteria rather than informal compensation based on whoever the manager/boss "likes" most. (2) Changing the corporate culture so that the most important networking opportunities don't occur in some of the most gender- and race-exclusive spaces in the city. In the academic world, networking occurs in coffee shops and cocktail receptions. Universities have a long way to go in terms of gender equity, but they're better than the corporate world.

For a related discussion, see an earlier thread on whether or not publicly-owned golf courses should be allowed to impose dress codes: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/19894-Dress-codes-on-city-owned-golf-courses

Back