News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Dress codes on city owned golf courses?

Silence&Motion

Member Bio
Reaction score
A bit of an obscure topic, but wanted to get views from the UT community.

This weekend I was almost turned away from the City-owned Dentonia Park golf course (next to Victoria Park Station) because I wasn't wearing a collared shirt (I managed to borrow one from a friend before they allowed me to play). I chose Dentonia Park specifically because I'm a first time golfer who is turned off by any hint of elitism. I figured the city's unprofitable, cheapest course, would allow me to play in peace without overburdening me with arbitrary rules.

There is no dress code listed on the City of Toronto's list of golf rules and etiquette, which I checked specifically before I left for the course. In fact, I don't even own a golf shirt anyway.

My question to you is whether Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation has any right to restrict people from using public facilities based on the way they are dressed. I think most people would agree that the City has the right to impose some basic dress code on City property (e.g. I'm assuming you can't go shirtless into the council chambers visitor gallery). But at what point do dress codes become unjustifiable and serve as a form of exclusion?

In my view there is no legitimate reason to require people to wear collared shirts or "hemmed shorts/pants" on a golf course or any other Parks and Rec facility. It seems to me that these are arbitrary rules rooted in golf's traditional culture of exclusivity, and designed to exclude people who lack sufficient background knowledge (see cultural capital). This would probably explain why dress codes are enforced at the course but not formally included on the City's list of rules.

Anyway, just something I needed to rant about! But I'd be interesting in knowing whether I'm the only one that finds these dress codes completely inappropriate for what is essentially public space.

It's one of the things that turns me off of golf as well, though I do like to play it. I'm shocked, first, that there's a City-run facility, and second that the City would require a dress code such as that.

It's just part of golf. I've played for 2 years now and just got used to it. I don't show up to any course without a collared shirt. I'll be the first to say that I absolutely hate wearing collared shirts, but I don't mind following the rules at all.

You have to remember that just because it is a city run course, does not mean that it isn't operating to make money. Many people take golf's dress code extremely seriously as I have learned over the past few years. You upset these people, and they will take their money elsewhere.

The city run 5 courses – they aren’t bad considering the number of people that play on them. However, they are overpriced – there’s better public courses just north and east of the city in Markham and Newmarket for cheaper.

And it’s a golf course, of course there’s a dress code, every golf course in the world has a dress code of some description – the city courses in Mississauga and Brampton have dress codes as well.

It’s not like the dress code is overbearing anyway. A golf shirt and a pair of khakis is hardly what you call overkill.

It's just part of golf. I've played for 2 years now and just got used to it. I don't show up to any course without a collared shirt. I'll be the first to say that I absolutely hate wearing collared shirts, but I don't mind following the rules at all.

You have to remember that just because it is a city run course, does not mean that it isn't operating to make money. Many people take golf's dress code extremely seriously as I have learned over the past few years. You upset these people, and they will take their money elsewhere.

The golf courses have become steadily less profitable over the past decade. Dentonia already runs a deficit that is made up by the profits from the other courses. If this trend continues, soon the courses as a whole will run a deficit and require taxpayer subsidies.

I would actually be quite happy to see that happen, because it means the courses would most likely be converted into general use parkland (they're in the floodplain, so they can't be developed). However for those people who like golf and think it's important that the City provide golfing facilities, you'd think they would want to encourage MORE people to start golfing, rather than throwing up arbitrary barriers, like turning away people at the door for the way they dress.

The city run 5 courses – they aren’t bad considering the number of people that play on them. However, they are overpriced – there’s better public courses just north and east of the city in Markham and Newmarket for cheaper.

Dentonia is $27 on weekends and holidays....there are better short courses than that cheaper than that? I live west of the city and the most comparable short course is Turnberry and their weekend rate is $50.

And it’s a golf course, of course there’s a dress code, every golf course in the world has a dress code of some description – the city courses in Mississauga and Brampton have dress codes as well.

It’s not like the dress code is overbearing anyway. A golf shirt and a pair of khakis is hardly what you call overkill.

Agree.

Sorry - I meant the "regular" courses not the par 3 Dentonia

It's not like they are forcing you to wear knickers! ;)Invest in some well-fitting, stylish polo shirts. Solid pastel colours are great for the summer.

Exactly - it's not like anyone is forcing you to wear stuff like this

lm-red-guys.jpg

But why should my ability to use public facilities depend on owning a particular type of shirt?

It may not seem like overkill to some people, but to others who are unfamiliar with the culture of golf and get turned down at the door despite wearing clothes that would be completely appropriate in pretty much every other public space, it does seem like overkill. And it's actually quite embarrassing to be standing in the middle of the pro shop when the person at the desk says "I can't let you play wearing that shirt", loud enough for everyone else to hear.

I don't think it's a coincidence that despite the fact that Dentonia is in the middle of the East Danforth neighbourhood, I didn't spot a single visible minority on the course. Dress codes contribute to a hostile environment for the uninitiated.

The fact is that other "elite" institutions like our public art galleries and museums have bent over backwards in the past several decades to become beacons of inclusiveness. Yet golf courses continue to try to create an aura of exclusivity - which in the long term I can happily say will be to their detriment.

But why should my ability to use public facilities depend on owning a particular type of shirt?

The same reason why playing golf requires that you own a set of golf clubs, and not just a set of sticks, or that you wear proper shoes. Dress code has always been part of the game, and thats what makes golf different than other sports. Tradition is a big part of how the game is played.

The dress code is there to maintain the course as a traditional golf course. You bend the rules, and its no longer a real golfing experience.

I do see your point though.

Last edited:
Truthfully I wish musicals and theatre had a dress code. I don't think there ever were rules but people just would have dressed up to go out to the theatre or opera. Now people wear whatever. I'm young (early 30s) but I think the old school rules sometimes work out better. I have heard several people say that the wizard of oz sells popcorn in the aisle. is that true? People cant wait till intermission? Mary Poppins didn't do that. It just seems weird. I know some people don't like rules but as Cosmo Kramer says, "without rules there would be chaos."

Back