News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.7K     10 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

And most everybody who's a permanent resident in Toronto would or should have some qualifying form of ID, so that shouldn't be a problem.
But what LI Mike's referring to is the excessively narrow and specific definition of "acceptable ID" in order to suppress certain voting blocs--especially whose who might be minority/underclass/"lib-leaning".

I think the ability to register at the polling station makes a big difference, too - it's my understanding that at least in several US states, it's not possible to do that, which makes it more challenging, especially if you have to move frequently. E.g., I've never had a problem registering to vote at my polling station with my driver's license (which had the address of my parents' house) and a utility bill to confirm that I was voting in the right ward/riding, but that's a lot harder if you can't register on voting day.

John Tory's on a roll:

DesmondCole 5:28pm via Web
John Tory on women's mobility in the workforce: "Learn how to play golf, it will be immensely helpful to your career."

Tory's toast. Doubling down with the suggestion that women should learn to golf should just about do it.

Soknacki and Stintz might get a boost. David Soknacki remains my favourite officially-declared choice for mayor and is cementing his position as my second-favourite among declared and probable candidates.

Last edited:
Tory's toast. Doubling down with the suggestion that women should learn to golf should just about do it.

Soknacki and Stintz might get a boost. David Soknacki remains my favourite officially-declared choice for mayor and is cementing his position as my second-favourite among declared and probable candidates.
I agree that Tory's toast, and like the alliteration. :)

He just showed that he doesn't "get" 51% of the voting public. He is woefully out of touch. His comments yesterday got a lot of traction too, so a lot people heard that he was basically blaming the victim for their systemic poverty.

I am a woman and would never vote for him. If he ran I would try to educate women especially about him.

He was always a (potentially) dithering, half dead choice. Now, he has no chance. I just hope he doesn't embarass himself by running.

Soknacki seems solid and very competent. But I was disappointed by his answer to my question on the TO Star's chat last week. When I asked him what his vision was for the city, Soknacki responded with traffic and transit practicalities.

If he is smart, he will realize that Toronto has suffered a crisis of spirit and a crisis of vision under Ford. Robyn Doolittle touched on it last night at her chat. Rob Ford is a reaction against things. We need someone to move us forward into the future, to give us hope in solving our challenges, to make proud again of our city.

I am not sure if Soknacki can do that. I hope so . But Tory definitely can't.

Last edited:
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/john-tory-fires-back-after-comments-create-stir-online-1.1668792

So it looks like John Tory has pre-emptively torpedoed his own mayoral bid. Not a great start, but let's see if he'll be able to patch things back together.

DesmondCole 5:28pm via Web
John Tory on women's mobility in the workforce: "Learn how to play golf, it will be immensely helpful to your career."

Interesting how the perception here is that Tory has done himself in, yet Rob Ford was able to get elected in spite of his obvious bigotry, racism and misogyny.

Interesting how the perception here is that Tory has done himself in, yet Rob Ford was able to get elected in spite of his obvious bigotry, racism and misogyny.

...bigotry, racism, misogyny, drug usage, DUIs on city streets, criminal record, and involvement with gangs. I probably missed a few.

He has added to that list since being elected though. Conspiracy to murder is a new and pretty significant one!

But it shall be interesting to see public reaction to Tory. I feel like Ford set the bar so low that in the long run minor scandals like this won't effect Tory's candidature.

Though he may seem sensible and progressive compared to Ford, John Tory has just reminded us that he's still Canada's answer to Mitt Romney.

He comes across as a guy who has not spent very much time reflecting on how privileged he is to have been born rich, male, and white.

I doubt this will derail his campaign, but it is another sign of why he has never really connected with voters.

Though he may seem sensible and progressive compared to Ford, John Tory has just reminded us that he's still Canada's answer to Mitt Romney.

Bingo! Romney was one of the smartest, most reasonable people the Republicans could come up with for 2012. Just as John Tory is thought of as one of the smartest, most reasonable people that the business-right could come up with - repeated times.

The bar has been set low for Ford and Ford alone. It's his super-power. Others will continue to be tripped up by one or two ill-considered comments. But how hard up is Toronto for a leader people can gather behind? Tory is continually dragged out as one of two who can possibly beat Ford, but he's dull, he can't make a decision, and even after spending the last several years as a media personality he makes shockingly out-of-touch statements like this. Maybe those in the system need to look beyond political calculations and find someone who has a new idea and can actually be inspiring. I like what Soknacki has brought to the discussion, but I also wonder if he's too much a dry policy wonk to be able to shift the Toronto malaise in the wake of Ford.

Soknacki seems solid and very competent. But I was disappointed by his answer to my question on the TO Star's chat last week. When I asked him what his vision was for the city, Soknacki responded with traffic and transit practicalities.

If he is smart, he will realize that Toronto has suffered a crisis of spirit and a crisis of vision under Ford. Robyn Doolittle touched on it last night at her chat. Rob Ford is a reaction against things. We need someone to move us forward into the future, to give us hope in solving our challenges, to make proud again of our city.

I am not sure if Soknacki can do that. I hope so . But Tory definitely can't.

That's another thing that I think will bring Soknacki down at the end - this election is just too big for him. He doesn't come across like he has a big vision for Toronto.

He's already fighting a loosing battle with the Scarborough transit file, and everything else he has said about the city tells me that this election is just too big for him. I think he would be a very effective mayor for a city say the size of Kitchener or Barrie, but Toronto, no. I want my mayor to see Toronto as one city with big ideas to move it forward. Soknacki doesn't have that.

Women, you know, that terrible group of rabble rousing women. Give them the vote and you open up a whole can of worms. They think they are entitled to jobs, opinions and everything!

What do you mean by rabble-rousers, in this case?

People who's purpose in life is to find anything to spin into an issue, no matter what.
Tory didn't say women deserve less than men, merely that in his experience men are more prone to ask for a higher salary than women. To make it into an issue of him being sexist is a perversion of the facts and entirely manufactured outrage.

Back