News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 701     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

The playing golf comment was sexist and elitist.

I don't spin issues, and I'm pretty tolerant about jumping on a sexist/racist/whateverist bandwagon, but that comment showed how out of touch and old boy's club he is.

Last edited:
Apologies in advance, for this off-topic stuff...

Tory didn't say women deserve less than men, merely that in his experience men are more prone to ask for a higher salary than women. To make it into an issue of him being sexist is a perversion of the facts and entirely manufactured outrage.

The objection, it would seem, is that Tory and his ilk never seem to ask why women tend to not ask for a higher salary with "active negotiating posture", which is a ball that is on the Tory's side of the court. Not to mention that systemic economic and cultural issues (aside from the idea of passivity vs aggressiveness of women in the workplace) dwarf Tory's reasoning.

People who's purpose in life is to find anything to spin into an issue, no matter what.

Looks familiar... So rather than hearing them out, you dismissed the contention as rabble-rousing? Should I be more aggressive or less? Tell me how to feel!

The objection, it would seem, is that Tory and his ilk never seem to ask why women tend to not ask for a higher salary with "active negotiating posture", which is a ball that is on the Tory's side of the court. Not to mention that systemic economic and cultural issues (aside from the idea of passivity vs aggressiveness of women in the workplace) dwarf Tory's reasoning.

Super cool that they were able to spin that out of him being asked a question about articles he didn't write or publish.

Super cool that they were able to spin that out of him being asked a question about articles he didn't write or publish.

Did you even watch the interview? He was asked about what he would be discussing on his radio show. He is the one who brought it up, and then pulled out anecdotes that reinforced the articles.

Tory is out of touch. He showed that he doesn't understand the reality of women in the workforce. It seems like he hasn't expanded his awareness to include other realities besides his own very privileged one.

This.

A person can say or do something that is sexist by failing to check their own assumptions. It doesn't "make [John Tory] sexist", but if he isn't willing or able to hear why he's attracted criticism for his comments, I for one have doubts about his ability to stop occasionally saying things that are sexist - or to evaluate policies that he favours for their impact on women.

John Tory's on a roll:

DesmondCole 5:28pm via Web
John Tory on women's mobility in the workforce: "Learn how to play golf, it will be immensely helpful to your career."

Facepalm-300x216.jpg

I know that I'm in the minority on this issue, but I think the whole "women playing golf" thing is a non-issue, and that this issue is largely being manufactured by Chow supporters and Tory haters.
I hope that my view on the issue does not make me sexist or a neanderthal.

What does playing golf have to do job performance, and getting or not getting a raise? What happened to that good old fashioned meritocracy I keep hearing about?

This!!!

Citing a fact and interpreting the meaning from that fact are two different things. Tory correctly cites studies that associate the gender pay gap with the different ways that men and women tend to negotiate. However...

1. That's not the only factor that causes the gender pay gap. Fixating on negotiation to the exclusion of other factors should make you question Tory's motives.

2. Rather than using this fact as an opportunity to blame women for their own problems (as Tory seems to do), someone with more empathy and a more critical mind might ask how exactly salary negotiation works. For instance, rather than advising women to pick up golf, a critical thinker might question why golfing (a sport dominated by white men) has any impact on salary decisions.

Tory did make one very good point. He said that his law firm used a formalized process for deciding salaries. So even if men complained more about their salaries, there was no impact on how much they actually got paid. Research has shown that formalized systems of compensation are much more equitable than the subjective decisions of employers and managers.

All of this is about a fact that Tory got right, but interpreted in a questionable way. However Tory also mentioned that the different negotiating styles had to do with the "DNA" of men and women (for some reason, no one picked up on this). This, as far as I know, is a complete falsehood. But it serves the purpose of dismissing the issue: it's just human nature that men will be more aggressive and achieve more than women and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Take away conclusion: Tory comes across as someone who is dismissive of gender inequality and unwilling to critically examine his own privileges as a wealthy, white man. When confronted with the reality of a gender pay gap, his reaction is to essentially shrug and say "don't look at me, I'm not sexist!"

John Tory is an idiot, he deserves to run again and lose, to prove one more time that being born rich doesn't make you a winner.

The problem is that right or wrong, you shouldn't even be giving your opponents material like this to work with this early on.

Back