News   May 21, 2024
 884     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 579     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 458     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Organized labour doesn't like an anti-union candidate? Colour me surprised.

Unless you are a greedy corporation, why would anybody be anti-union?????

Meanwhile, the same people buy into the Conservative myth that tax cuts to the wealthy and big corporations create jobs.

For me, any ideologically anti-union person is generally just pretty stupid.

Chow says she would boost land-transfer tax

Chow says she would boost land-transfer tax on expensive homes http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...n-expensive-homes/article20301364/?cmpid=rss1

While I find it admirable that a politician actually proposes a means to fund their campaign promises and ideas, I think this is the beginning of the end for Chow as a viable candidate.

She's already painted as a tax and spend lefty, and now she's playing to that role. Tory and Ford will seize onto this and never let go, repeating a message that Chow will tax us all. They'll say yes, she's targeting homes over $2M, but that's only the beginning of her plans to increase taxes all over the place.

Chow is finished after today.

Today in Toronto politics:

Soknacki announces breakdown of planned savings in the police budget
Tory announces endorsement by Liberal Cabinet Minister Brad Duguid
Chow announces increase to LTT for homes over $2M
Ford's campaign manager announces media is biased after hastily convening a "media availability" at City Hall.

One of these things is not like the others...

While I find it admirable that a politician actually proposes a means to fund their campaign promises and ideas, I think this is the beginning of the end for Chow as a viable candidate.

She's already painted as a tax and spend lefty, and now she's playing to that role. Tory and Ford will seize onto this and never let go, repeating a message that Chow will tax us all. They'll say yes, she's targeting homes over $2M, but that's only the beginning of her plans to increase taxes all over the place.

Beez, respectfully, this is exactly what she needed to do. Up until now, and particularly the last couple of weeks, this forum and the general zeitgeist was that 'she doesn't really want to be Mayor' or 'she's only running against Ford' or 'no new policies'.

She's now trying to initiate a class battle, if not really a 'war'. Any progressive who was thinking they needed to vote for Tory to get rid of Ford will (assuming she comes out with 2-3 more big planks like this) come back into the fold.

Right-wing commentators will also go apoplectic, not just the candidates. If she stands her ground, this gamble means she can win. If she can't take the heat, she shouldn't have been running from the left in the first place.

IMHO, you're dead wrong. Chow is finally started, not finished. She might not win, but she definitely has taken the initiative.

From David Soknacki:
Elections law in Ontario requires that candidates disclose the donor and the contribution total for campaign donors to municipalities. The City of Toronto then posts all donations over $100 on their website a few months after the election. On January 6th, when he filed for the mayoralty, David Soknacki committed to disclose donations early, and in real time, before Election Day. The date set was after Labour Day. We’ve done our best to advise every donor of this policy, however, some of you may have been missed.

The practice of voluntary, early disclosure is not unusual in other cities, but the commitment to disclose in real-time is a Toronto first. Similar to the disclosure that would be provided by the City of Toronto in a few months time, only your first name, last name, postal code and each donation amount will be posted on our website.

Beez, respectfully, this is exactly what she needed to do. Up until now, and particularly the last couple of weeks, this forum and the general zeitgeist was that 'she doesn't really want to be Mayor' or 'she's only running against Ford' or 'no new policies'.

She's now trying to initiate a class battle, if not really a 'war'. Any progressive who was thinking they needed to vote for Tory to get rid of Ford will (assuming she comes out with 2-3 more big planks like this) come back into the fold.

Right-wing commentators will also go apoplectic, not just the candidates. If she stands her ground, this gamble means she can win. If she can't take the heat, she shouldn't have been running from the left in the first place.

IMHO, you're dead wrong. Chow is finally started, not finished. She might not win, but she definitely has taken the initiative.

I don't know about "class battle" but she is definitely trying to reclaim progressive voters. I don't put much stock in Forum polls, but she is now faced with the media tale of her campaign losing momentum so new policy announcements are a must. This is a start. Hope she's got more coming. So far I find both her and Tory's platforms to be less than inspiring.

She was the favorite to win until a month ago. So you better be right because people will say "she didn't really want to be mayor" if she loses.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ail-electrification-timeline/article20300421/
Electrification of the GO rail network may not be done within 10 years, according to the regional transit agency Metrolinx, raising new questions about the John Tory “surface subway” promise that relies heavily on the province’s plan.
Compare that to the Star's headline that it is possible: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...sible_in_10_years_confirms_metrolinx_ceo.html
For the first time, the CEO of Metrolinx has confirmed that the province’s promise to electrify GO trains within 10 years is achievable. But that doesn’t mean the entire system will get all-day, two-way, 15-minute service in that time.
Bruce McCuaig, who had previously called the timeline “aggressive” and “constrained,” now says it’s do-able.

Meanwhile, the same people buy into the Conservative myth that tax cuts to the wealthy and big corporations create jobs.

Why do you act like people that have other opinions are stupid? Yes that is a (partial) myth, the most recent example being the financial crisis. But people are entitle to their own opinion?

Chow says she would boost land-transfer tax on expensive homes http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...n-expensive-homes/article20301364/?cmpid=rss1

She was moving to the center, and we all fought she fell down because her and Tory were fighting for the same crowd. IMO, she is finally showing she's alive, that she wants to win. This race will be close to the end now.

And this is the same company too. So the truth is in between.

this whole rob ford phenomenon has shown me that 1 out of 3 people in this city are cretins... that's a lot! rob ford being elected again would just prove that i gotta be somewhere more intelligent. not sure where that is, but there's gotta be places in canada where there are less simpletons standing in the way of true progress.

Like where they voted in Medji (spelling?)

You might be right, and she's certainly made a strong move to differentiate herself from Tory today. Again I appreciate how she has shown a clear funding proposal to cover her idea. That's certainly refreshing. I still think she's going to lose, but she's in the running certainly.

Back