News   May 21, 2024
 2     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 204     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.2K     5 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

There's a lot of people who can copy and paste stuff from the Internet surely?

I'll miss evva's tin foil hat stuff though ... especially this past week and the about the York U and McMaster sex ring stuff. That would have been an interesting story to hear. If it was a story at all
Ouch. I guess this is what happens when the mayor has built that kind of reputation for himself though.

^ And so there you have it. With less than two months to go, Rob Ford has succeeded again, now better than ever, in bringing the worms out of the woodwork, real good. Fab accomplishment, no?

I can't figure what on earth Rob Ford's supporters feel they have accomplished with their 'us versus them' approach. What a bunch of just plain goofs.

Some people like to be a part of a group in order to live. Happens in all walks of life. He fills a void a public leadership for so many.

Rob Ford is the most stubbornest of all the major mayoralty candidates. At least with John Tory and Olivia Chow, they should be able to listen to arguments and will base any decisions on those arguments. Rob Ford on the other hand, will stick to his decision and only his decision. No arguments, facts presented, or reports shown, will change his mind. We need a mayor who will listen to all sides, and make a decision based on all sides.

Rob Ford is the most stubbornest of all the major mayoralty candidates. At least with John Tory and Olivia Chow, they should be able to listen to arguments and will base any decisions on those arguments. Rob Ford on the other hand, will stick to his decision and only his decision. No arguments, facts presented, or reports shown, will change his mind. We need a mayor who will listen to all sides, and make a decision based on all sides.

Yes, and that's why people should start rallying behind John Tory if they want Ford out as Tory is a man who is known for working well with others. Tory plays fair, Ford does not.

Tory is still the best chance at beating Ford. I really don't want this to become a repeat of Smitherman vs Ford 2010 all over again. Chow and especially Sokancki are toast.

Last edited:
Posted this over on "Mayor Rob Ford's Toronto", thought it might be of interest here, too:

I was just poking around on Forum's website and this press release, from yesterday, caught my eye:

http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/123/majority-in-toronto-think-union-gains-are-at-risk-today/

While this is not a poll for the mayoral race, there is a table that lists an answer to one question by mayoral preference:

Forum Poll Table.jpg

I found it interesting that of 1207 respondents 279 are listed as Ford supporters, 408 are for Tory and 293 are for Chow. Thats 980 total, so I assume 227 people are supporting other candidates or did not give their mayoral preference. Why is this interesting, you may ask? Well, lets do some percentages:

Tory - 408/1207 = 33.8%
Chow - 293/1207 = 24.3%
Ford - 279/1207 = 23.1%
Other/No Preference 227/1207 = 18.8%

Calculating percentages for just the three main candidates gives these results:

Tory - 408/980 = 41.6%
Chow - 293/980 = 29.9%
Ford - 279/980 = 28.5%

The poll was conducted August 13 and 14, right in between two polls released by Forum that show Ford gaining ground and leapfrogging into second place ahead of Chow. I think you would have to agree that the percentages listed above paint a very different picture. Is it possible that Forum has inadvertently given a better snapshot of the true state of the race, one that doesn't fit the media narrative of a Ford campaign that is gaining momentum?

ETA: I know during the provincial election, Forum's percentages had a "baked-in" demographic likely voter model (that they refused to describe in detail). It's possible they're doing the same thing for the mayoral election, skewing their percentages in Ford's favour. Also, these numbers are more in line with the Maple Leaf Strategies poll from July 30 and the Nanos poll from July 5, both of which showed Tory with a fairly substantial lead and Ford in third.

Attachments

• Forum Poll Table.jpg
    Forum Poll Table.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Also This:

Here is another Forum Poll, this one taken on August 25, concerning topless beaches:

http://poll.forumresearch.com/data/TO Topless Beaches News Release (2014 08 26) Forum Research.pdf

In this is another table showing an answer by Mayoral Preference, this time including David Socknaki. Here are the percentages:

Total 931
John Tory - 367/931, 39.4%
Rob Ford - 260/931, 27.9%
Olivia Chow - 211/931, 22.7%
David Soknacki - 38/931, 4.1%
Other - 55/931, 5.9%

So now we have two documented non-mayoral race Forum polls that show Tory well out in front, and Ford stuck at the same 28% ceiling or lower. Yet, when Forum releases a mayoral race poll, Ford is suddenly gaining ground. Hmmmmmm.....

Last edited:
So now we have two documented non-mayoral race Forum polls that show Tory well out in front, and Ford stuck at the same 28% ceiling or lower. Yet, when Forum releases a mayoral race poll, Ford is suddenly gaining ground. Hmmmmmm.....

Then again, it could also be that Ford's hardcore support is either too stoopid or too skeptical to bother responding to the non-mayoral mayoral polls--like, in order for them to be engaged, the poll has to be about Ford Ford Ford rather than all this other boring funny stuff...

Say Ford wins, I wonder how much it really matters ? Given, even recently, he quite routinely votes against 90% of the council ? At a high level they'd have a mandate, given he won, to do some things he pushed for, just like what happened at the start of his term ! But given all the history, I wonder if that'll actually happen.

FromTheHammer has presented proof of push polling. This is for the better though. If people are scared he will lose. If people get complacent, he'll win.
Say Ford wins, I wonder how much it really matters ? Given, even recently, he quite routinely votes against 90% of the council ? At a high level they'd have a mandate, given he won, to do some things he pushed for, just like what happened at the start of his term ! But given all the history, I wonder if that'll actually happen.
Three words: Consolidation of Power

Last edited:
Join OPSEU at the Toronto Labour Day Parade Monday, Sept. 1

A New Mayor for a Better City

And with less than two months to the October 27 municipal election, Labour Day is also a chance to focus on ending the Rob Ford “crazy train” and electing a New Mayor and a strong, progressive city council.

These are just some of the reasons why we are asking all OPSEU members – and our family, friends and allies to…
Join Us at the Labour Day Parade!

When: Monday, Sept. 1 at 8:00 a.m.
Where: University Avenue, east side,
south of Dundas St.
March: West on Queen St. to Dufferin and the CNE

http://www.opseu.org/event/join-opseu-toronto-labour-day-parade-monday-sept-1

For those that are graphically inclined, the forum polls including by former municipality in Toronto: http://bigcitypolitics.ca/?page_id=35

I notice that all Candidate went up in North York in the last month.
I also noticed that Ford has doubled his support in downtown - going from 9% to 18% in 3 month.

During the last 3 months, it is obvious that Ford and Tory are going up in all Regions and Chow is going down in all Regions.

FromTheHammer has presented proof of push polling. This is for the better though. If people are scared he will lose. If people get complacent, he'll win.

Three words: Consolidation of Power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6XMIldkRU

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that I've proven "push-polling". Let's just say it's a possibility.

I do know that since early August I've been waiting for the next round of polling because my sense was that while Olivia Chow is indeed dropping (due to a very "meh" campaign so far), Ford's campaign wasn't going anywhere. I really expected to see Tory way ahead of both of them. There was some real cognitive dissonance for me when I saw Forum's numbers in that last mayoral poll.

All this from a guy who doesn't even live in Toronto (though I used to) and can't vote in this election.

Back