News   Apr 30, 2024
 465     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1K     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

So you people plan on leaving what is certainly one of the greatest cities on this side of the world because Rob Ford, who will very have no control over the agenda at council, may be reelected by 30% of the people.

Who cares of John is white, or wears a suit?

I don't care. But I can't see any other reason why people jump to the conclusion that Tory's this great leader and manager, while Olivia Chow is somehow incompetent. If you look at their policies, Chow is much more pragmatic and realistic, and Tory is erratic.

Why can't you admit Chow has run a bad campaign since the end of July?

I never denied this. She's bad in a debate. That will make it difficult for her.

You have to look like you care when you campaign. People on this board and outside or not getting that from her. It looks like she doesn't care whether she wins or not.

She looks like she cares to me. I don't see how anyone could get the idea that she's not really in this to win it.

So Silence, will you vote for Tory if he keeps ford out? Or will you just vote for Chow knowing she might finish a distant third.

I'm not voting Tory, because his policies are ridiculous and he's shown no evidence of the competence needed to run the city. And Ford is not going to win, because you can't become mayor with only 30% of the vote. He certainly will have no shot at winning if Chow becomes, as you say, "a distant third".

i enjoyed seeing that rob's name was missing from a declaration that contains basically all the things he claims to care about.

Was he even at that debate where that declaration was signed?

So you people plan on leaving what is certainly one of the greatest cities on this side of the world because Rob Ford, who will very have no control over the agenda at council, may be reelected by 30% of the people.
If Ford is that aggravating to someone, and they have the means to leave, why stay? If he were to win a second time, he could also conceivably keep getting re-elected, assuming he lives that long.

Really? I took you for more of an activist.

There's a lot of people who can copy and paste stuff from the Internet surely?

I'll miss evva's tin foil hat stuff though ... especially this past week and the about the York U and McMaster sex ring stuff. That would have been an interesting story to hear. If it was a story at all

Really? I took you for more of an activist.

this whole rob ford phenomenon has shown me that 1 out of 3 people in this city are cretins... that's a lot! rob ford being elected again would just prove that i gotta be somewhere more intelligent. not sure where that is, but there's gotta be places in canada where there are less simpletons standing in the way of true progress.

this whole rob ford phenomenon has shown me that 1 out of 3 people in this city are cretins... that's a lot! rob ford being elected again would just prove that i gotta be somewhere more intelligent. not sure where that is, but there's gotta be places in canada where there are less simpletons standing in the way of true progress.
Need a lift to the airport?
By the way smartypants it is "fewer" not "less" simpletons.

^ And so there you have it. With less than two months to go, Rob Ford has succeeded again, now better than ever, in bringing the worms out of the woodwork, real good. Fab accomplishment, no?

I can't figure what on earth Rob Ford's supporters feel they have accomplished with their 'us versus them' approach. What a bunch of just plain goofs.

Mind that the huge majority of people did not vote for Ford. 70% of people voted against him. Only 30% of people voted for him (approximately).

The fairest thing to say is that about half voted for Ford (i.e. 47% for Ford and 53% against).

You could also say that 25% (47% of 53% voter turnout) voted for Ford, 28% voted against, and 47% of the people were perfectly fine accepting the results of the other voters. Thus, 72% (25% + 47%) of Torontonians were perfectly comfortable with Ford being Mayor.

To be fair, I don't think most people were aware of Ford's true character back then. Everyone is now, and his support lies at only 30%

4 months ago people were saying that now that people are aware of Ford he is off no concern, because his support is only 15%. After coming back from rehab, he was deemed not a threat because his support was at 20%. Last month he was written off since his support was only 25%. Now we are saying his support is 30%. What will happen to the 30% if we extrapolate 2 more months - will it hit 40%?

The other question is who is more like to vote - since we know that 50% will not vote. If that Ford vote is more motivated, then somewhat less than 40% may win it for him. Many Ford supporters consider that he has been unfairly treated since day one - even though his drug use only came out a year-and-a-half later.

And it does appear that the anti Ford vote does not really have anyone that they can vote for with confidence - something that leads to less motivated voter.

leo-aikman-quote.jpg

Attachments

• leo-aikman-quote.jpg
    leo-aikman-quote.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 446
I don't care. But I can't see any other reason why people jump to the conclusion that Tory's this great leader and manager, while Olivia Chow is somehow incompetent. If you look at their policies, Chow is much more pragmatic and realistic, and Tory is erratic.
And who's denying that? I'm in the transportation forum killing Tory for dropping the ball on the TTC bus improvements. He lost on that, but Chow didn't capitalize on it, which is the issue here. She let Kinsella wreck the last two weeks for her. She is not communicating with the electorate well at this point.

I never denied this. She's bad in a debate. That will make it difficult for her.
We agree then. She has to get going.

She looks like she cares to me. I don't see how anyone could get the idea that she's not really in this to win it.
You're the only person in the entire city at this point that thinks that. From the poor debates to the ridiculous gun policy to letting senior staff run amok, it looks like many including myself and StevieD are right and that she is running because she is expected to and wants Ford out (don't we all) and not because she wants to win.

I'm not voting Tory, because his policies are ridiculous and he's shown no evidence of the competence needed to run the city. And Ford is not going to win, because you can't become mayor with only 30% of the vote. He certainly will have no shot at winning if Chow becomes, as you say, "a distant third".
Tory is at 34 percent and Ford is at 31 percent. Given the margin of error, they are tied. Chow is at 23 percent. With this weak campaign, the winner will be lucky to get 40 percent of the vote. Chow can either begin to campaign for real.

Sadly, there are many people who just care about lower taxes and nothing else. They want everything and to pay for nothing. I would not blame you at all.
To be fair, I don't think most people were aware of Ford's true character back then. Everyone is now, and his support lies at only 30%

The fairest thing to say is that about half voted for Ford (i.e. 47% for Ford and 53% against).

You could also say that 25% (47% of 53% voter turnout) voted for Ford, 28% voted against, and 47% of the people were perfectly fine accepting the results of the other voters. Thus, 72% (25% + 47%) of Torontonians were perfectly comfortable with Ford being Mayor.

4 months ago people were saying that now that people are aware of Ford he is off no concern, because his support is only 15%. After coming back from rehab, he was deemed not a threat because his support was at 20%. Last month he was written off since his support was only 25%. Now we are saying his support is 30%. What will happen to the 30% if we extrapolate 2 more months - will it hit 40%?

The other question is who is more like to vote - since we know that 50% will not vote. If that Ford vote is more motivated, then somewhat less than 40% may win it for him. Many Ford supporters consider that he has been unfairly treated since day one - even though his drug use only came out a year-and-a-half later.

And it does appear that the anti Ford vote does not really have anyone that they can vote for with confidence - something that leads to less motivated voter.
People are vaguely away of that crap that went down at the ACC in 2002/2003 or the Florida trip. No excuse for half the city supporting him. But we have weak candidates and the only guy who makes sense is too far away. This is all we could do after 4 years. Come On.

Last edited:

Back