News   Jul 17, 2024
 573     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 647     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong is courting the automobile driver vote in Ward 34. Wants to license bicyclists, starting with bicycle couriers.

See the Toronto Sun article at this link.

Unfortunately this turkey has been my Councillor for the last 20 years. Sadly, I bet he'll be reelected again. I doubt Mary T Hynes will appeal to many in this area of the city. She's an NDPer, and she has a very cold disposition and horrible cadence. I tried urging Peter Karl Youngren to get in the race again. He did quite well in 2010; considering he had very little name recognition in the ward, at the time. We'll see if he decides to make a run in the next couple of months. I'm willing to vote for anyone that has a chance to unseat Denzil. I can't figure out why this guy is so set on being a career Councillor. He doesn't even do anything for his ward.

Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong is courting the automobile driver vote in Ward 34. Wants to license bicyclists, starting with bicycle couriers.

As a pedestrian who recently got run into (knocked down) by a cyclist on a sidewalk downtown (on Charles west of Yonge), mandatory training and a quick written exam on rules of the road probably isn't a bad idea.

Last edited:
As a pedestrian who recently got run over by a cyclist on a sidewalk downtown, mandatory training and a quick written exam on rules of the road probably isn't a bad idea.

Who needs training on how to ride a bike; besides Denzil Minnan Wong (who literally just learned how to ride one in the last couple of years)?

Re: Michael Prue

My understanding is that Prue mentioned his retirement from public life in his election night speech. Why are people reading into his debate appearance? He lives in Parkview Hills.

Who needs training on how to ride a bike; besides Denzil Minnan Wong (who literally just learned how to ride one in the last couple of years)?

Very odd for a small-c conservative to be advocating for more government regulation. The licensing of every cyclist in Toronto has "big government boondoggle" written all over it.

Re: Michael Prue

My understanding is that Prue mentioned his retirement from public life in his election night speech. Why are people reading into his debate appearance? He lives in Parkview Hills.

That was me speculating....given Chow's seeming failure to soar I would think the leftside had someone in their backpocket they could get behind....Prue seemed like a logical choice

They said just about the very same words about new blood entering the race, back in 2010.

You'd think some of the new blood from 2010 has a pretty tenuous grip on holding their Council seat
Ward 1 ...V Crisanti
Ward 10 ...J Pasternak
Ward 18 ...A Bailao
Ward 36 ...G Crawford

Many with a firm grip
Ward 13 ...S Doucette
Ward 15 ...J Colle
Ward 19 ...M Layton
Ward 22 ...J Matlow
Ward 25 ...J Robinson
Ward 27 ...K Wong-Tam
Ward 29 ...M Fragedakis
Ward 32 ...M M McMahon
Ward 35 ...M Berardinetti

And one not returning of his own volition
Ward 2 ...D Ford

The ass who ran into me on the sidewalk clearly does. There is absolutely no excuse for riding on the sidewalk on a quiet side street.

The ass who ran into me on the sidewalk clearly does. There is absolutely no excuse for riding on the sidewalk on a quiet side street.

I've learned back in public school, that bicycles with wheels of 24" or less should be riding on the sidewalk. But, they may have changed the material that they teach kids about the rules of road these days.

Help! ..Does anyone remember R Ford's Friendly Five?
Was it...F Nunziata (for sure)
V Crisanti (pretty sure of that one)
A Perruzza (even though he is not always on the same side
F DiGiorgio (less sure of that one)
C Palacio (not sure about this one)
G Mammoliti (I'm pretty sure he wasn't named)
Note where they are from, all EYCC members, all from the NorthWest quadrant of the City...

Did I miss anyone?

I've liked what Andray Domise has been saying, so please elaborate. How is he an awful alternative? I'm genuinely interested in what you have to say.

Agreed! He has been exposing the Ford lies Ward 2.

He has? My (admittedly) only impression of him comes from two editorials he wrote. The first he authored for the Torontoist, where he chastises Olivia Chow for her handgun ban; not because it's symbolic and/or ineffective but because it reinforces stereotypes, which I find very problematic. The second is for the Huffington post, where he speaks as the voice of the aggrieved black community for Rob Ford using the n-word.

Maybe I've been spoiled by Soknacki's policy releases, but I expect substantive ideas for how to build the city instead of ideology and identity politics. It smacks to me of the whole "taxpaying suburban driver vs. lefty bike-riding downtowner" but in a different vein. If AD has identified new ways that the administration has fallen short, or has actual concrete policy ideas to improve the community, then I owe him my apologies.

Last edited:
He has spoken a lot on how the Ford's make all of these claims regarding the work they did in Ward 2 and Etobicoke in general, but in reality, they have cared more about themselves than the voters.

I've learned back in public school, that bicycles with wheels of 24" or less should be riding on the sidewalk. But, they may have changed the material that they teach kids about the rules of road these days.
They changed it earlier this year, it's now by age --12 or 14, I can't remember for sure. Otherwise, bikes on sidewalks are against the law in Toronto, not that it is ever enforced (sadly).

That's interesting. This was a middle aged man on a full sized bike.

Back