News   Jul 18, 2024
 822     1 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 733     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 566     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

Shouldn't this talk about Vaughan be hived off on to a new thread, since he is now pretty clearly *not* running for council?

I'm very happy to hear this. Canada had lacked a proper urban agenda for far too long. Hopefully we'll see the feds playing a greater and consistent role in funding municipal infrastructure if the Libs win in 2015.

I fear Vaughan is being used. It was the Liberals that killed the national housing strategy we had. Perhaps having a housing and cities advocate inside the Liberal Party could be helpful, but I think Vaughan might end up feel very constrained and frustrated in Ottawa.

We had a phone survey on Saturday... I live in Ward 14 (Perks' ward)

First couple of questions were around the EDM club situation on the Ex property. And then the questions went to who would you vote for if there were only x candidates for councillor in the ward in the next election, and guess what one of the candidates listed was Chris Korwin-Kuzynski. Amazing. Guess I know who ordered that poll!

I remember him being a councillor-for-hire back when I worked in the billboard industry. We wined and dined him a lot! It looks like CKK is Ford's pick to run against Perks this time around.

I fear Vaughan is being used. It was the Liberals that killed the national housing strategy we had. Perhaps having a housing and cities advocate inside the Liberal Party could be helpful, but I think Vaughan might end up feel very constrained and frustrated in Ottawa.

Oh, absolutely he's being used. I think Vaughan knows it, too, but figures he's done as much as he can/wants to do as councillor, and hopes that while he may be a cog in the machine, he'll be a squeaky cog.

If CKK is the Ford pick to run against Perks, I think even Korwin-Kuzynski is under no illusions of the scale of the challenge. Perks is damn near unshiftable. The Ford plan seems to be run someone in every ward regardless of their chances. At best, they win. At worst, they put a stone in the shoe of the winner.

Well, give the Fords credit--in Ward 14, CKK is about as "star" as they can get. But unfortunately, Ward 14 isn't nearly as conservative-Polish as it once was, and any electable Liberalism here these days is likely to be more cosmopolitan--so, they'll just cross their fingers and hope for pre-Y2K demos once again; or maybe some magic coalition of vestigial Babcias and Ford-adoring Jameson immigrants...

If CKK is the Ford pick to run against Perks, I think even Korwin-Kuzynski is under no illusions of the scale of the challenge. Perks is damn near unshiftable. The Ford plan seems to be run someone in every ward regardless of their chances. At best, they win. At worst, they put a stone in the shoe of the winner.

That will be hilarious battle. CKK showed up to buy a Ford bobble-head last year, with military medals all over his chest. The Junction, Roncesvalles, and Queen West have changed a lot since the 1980s. I think he'll find that he has a hard time connecting to this generation.

I've been asked not to say anything until he officially announces, but there's going to be a great non-Ford candidate in Ward 2. He's anticipating announcing on April 22.

It's now April 30. Who was the candidate? There are 6 names currently registered (as of 11:14, April 30, 2014), none of them with the last name Ford.

I wonder if Mike Yen will give it another go. He ran for councillor in 2010 and also in 2011 for MPP of the riding for the PC's. I'm not so sure the area would go for an individual who is not left wing though. He's currently the head of the Entertainment District BIA if I'm not mistaken.

He just put his hat in yesterday. I think he was endorsed by Ford last time. A Ford ally who is connected to the entertainment district. Shocking.

Back