News   Jul 18, 2024
 867     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 774     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 578     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

I was talking about the by-election. Thanks

I believe the by-election must be called within 6 months. Add the month of campaigning means 7 months to election day. Or mid October.
It would probably be called earlier though - probably September. I think it is usually considered unsportsmanlike to have the election in summer.

I believe the by-election must be called within 6 months. Add the month of campaigning means 7 months to election day. Or mid October.
It would probably be called earlier though - probably September. I think it is usually considered unsportsmanlike to have the election in summer.

Unsportsmanlike? Harper?

A few people that come to mind:

Jennifer Hollett
Dave Meslin
Sarah Thomson (sigh)

I don't think Hollett has declared to run for council - she's on Chow's campaign for Mayor

I don't think Hollett has declared to run for council - she's on Chow's campaign for Mayor

Not yet. The Chow campaign has already "lost" one staffer to the by-election – Joe Cressy. However, the timing indicates that everyone on the campaign knew that Cressy was going to be leaving, and so his departure was managed smoothly. I think Hollett has her eye more on facing off against Freeland for the University--Rosedale seat, since that appears to be her consolation prize for being runner-up to Linda McQuaig for the NDP nomination in the last Toronto Centre by-election. Short answer, I would be very surprised to see her running municipally.

It'll be called pretty soon. There are four vacancies that need to be filled (2 in Toronto, 2 in Alberta) and usually by-elections are bunched together.

That's right...5 by-elections. That should be called. Whitby-Oshawa and the 2 Alberta seats should go Tory, Scarborough-Agincourt is a very safe Liberal seat and the Liberals should take Trinity-Spadina now that they've snagged Adam Vaughan.

That's right...5 by-elections. That should be called. Whitby-Oshawa and the 2 Alberta seats should go Tory, Scarborough-Agincourt is a very safe Liberal seat and the Liberals should take Trinity-Spadina now that they've snagged Adam Vaughan.

Ranked ballots. Rhinoceros Party #1. Then, the rest.

It'll be called pretty soon. There are four vacancies that need to be filled (2 in Toronto, 2 in Alberta) and usually by-elections are bunched together.

I looked it up, Ted Menzies resigned on November 6, 2013. Thus, the by-election must be called before May 5, 2013 (within 180 days).

So the by-election being called soon is not an exaggeration - it must be called within 3 weeks.

I'd wonder if there's a chance that Whitby-Oshawa might be vulnerable--it's more of a "Flaherty" seat than a Tory seat, after all. (As opposed to Durham, which was more of a Tory seat than a "Bev Oda" seat.)

Back