News   Jun 28, 2024
 92     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 269     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 334     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Brampton

And Brampton's mayor takes the high road... there's no scandal here, folks.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I actually watched the council meeting live.......there is real confidence exuding from her that her expenses will stand up well to the scrutiny of the in progress forensic audit. Some of the other councillors (one in particular who is not running for Mayor) came across as totally out of touch with how expenses are a) approved, b) incurred and c) reported......if he were my councillor I would have had a few "really, that is who is representing me?" thoughts.

For someone bemoaning Brampton's urban identity, you're playing into its sense of nothingness. Calling the Four Corners highways? This is a traditional downtown you're talking about here. And it's not even called "Hurontario" there, but easy-to-say "Main".

The whole 905 seems to be plagued with this phenomenon of people describing it like there in still-rural areas.
Why are you always making these types of posts? He was talking about Brampton's lack of proper planning. He was not ascribing to a sense of nothingness.

I love how Fennell is claiming that the Toronto Star is out to get her. Like another GTA Escalade-driving mayor.

That is an interesting point that others have made....but what I find very interesting is there may be an element of truth to it this time. Earlier this week, and discussed at length at this very same council meeting, the city's integrity commissioner found one of her opponents on council (and one that is seeking the Mayor's job) in breech.......yet the Star, who seem to have a reporter at city hall a lot of the time, have failed to even mention that (while including quotes on other matters from that councilor).

As a resident of the city that has yet to make a voting choice (a long way to October yet) I do find this very strange.

Exactly it does have a sense of nothingness...a conglomeration of subdivisions dating back to the '50's built around a village centre (Brampton) or a planned "satellite community" with all the ammenities of the '70's (Bramalea)...throw in the subs that have grown since in the Gore and Ching and there you have a hodgepodge a city with no sense of self....

Why are you always making these types of posts? He was talking about Brampton's lack of proper planning. He was not ascribing to a sense of nothingness.

Except he is. ;)

That is an interesting point that others have made....but what I find very interesting is there may be an element of truth to it this time. Earlier this week, and discussed at length at this very same council meeting, the city's integrity commissioner found one of her opponents on council (and one that is seeking the Mayor's job) in breech.......yet the Star, who seem to have a reporter at city hall a lot of the time, have failed to even mention that (while including quotes on other matters from that councilor).

As a resident of the city that has yet to make a voting choice (a long way to October yet) I do find this very strange.

Are you going to ascribe an e-mail announcement sent out prior to candidacy with the equvilence of seeming malfeasance of something upwards of 600K? Seems as if you are using the R Ford method of deflection....

Are you going to ascribe an e-mail announcement sent out prior to candidacy with the equvilence of seeming malfeasance of something upwards of 600K? Seems as if you are using the R Ford method of deflection....

I am not comparing anything other than the Star's coverage. If they felt one is worse than the other they could handle that within the coverage but by covering the accusations of financial malfeasance by one candidate for Mayor in such a big way without even mentioning the finding of another candidate being in breech of rules.......they do leave themselves open for suspicion of bias.

I am not comparing anything other than the Star's coverage. If they felt one is worse than the other they could handle that within the coverage but by covering the accusations of financial malfeasance by one candidate for Mayor in such a big way without even mentioning the finding of another candidate being in breech of rules.......they do leave themselves open for suspicion of bias.

Sure you are...you brought it up...with absolutely no back up to compare the two situations....leave a stink in the air hopefully some of it sticks on the second candidate...who as a matter I shall not name because because of that possibilty...

Sure you are...you brought it up...with absolutely no back up to compare the two situations....leave a stink in the air hopefully some of it sticks on the second candidate...who as a matter I shall not name because because of that possibilty...
I brought it up precisely because of the bias issue.....i don't actually have a candidate.....i have issues/concerns with all 3 of the majors and am actually now trying to look into the minor candidates......that said, I do think the Star is exhibiting bias against Fennel.

The behaviour of a sitting mayor with regards to expenses using public funds should rightly be covered to a greater degree of scrutiny than the behaviour of a mayoral candidate. The paper doesn't exist to enable a side by side comparison of the candidates. Besides, you already reported that you felt said sitting mayor exude confidence - what does confidence has anything to do with reality (aka "fluffing it"?)

AoD

Last edited:
The behaviour of a sitting mayor with regards to expenses using public funds should rightly be covered to a greater degree of scrutiny than the behaviour of a mayoral candidate. The paper doesn't exist to enable a side by side comparison of the candidates.

AoD

I actually don't disagree with that at all.....but when that other "mayoral candidate" is also a sitting council member.....if the Star is gonna cover one of the matters the amount of coverage the other gets should be something above zero.....or expect people to question their level of bias.

The Sanderson matter is/was a fairly minor transgression.....him apologizing is all the matter warrants and within minutes of his apology I had tweeted to him that, as one citizen, his apology is accepted. So as far as he is concerned (IMO) it is OK to move on from it. The Star, however, deserves to be asked how they could cover that meeting so broadly, see a sitting Councillor/candidate for Mayor apologize for his mistake and not even mention it in their coverage.

So in other words, it's pretty much a non-issue relative to the very valid questions of how the expenses of the sitting mayor. You might call that "bias" but I think the magnitude of the issue more than justifies it.

AoD

Susan Fennell at the Council meeting earlier this week "(It's time) to stop campaigning for a new mayor in this chair, while collecting paycheque from the taxpayers"- per Pam Douglas Brampton Guardian (Metroland-TorStar)...Hypocrisy to nth degree look back to 2000 the sitting mayor Peter Robertson was challenged for that seat by a sitting Regional Councillor SUSAN FENNELL...did she resign that seat to run against the mayor NO...
I harken back to Robertson in 2000 paraphasing here "if I was a woman I would have been reelected" "if she'd (Fennell) wait to 2003 I would have endorsed her" Seems to me Fennell is channelling Robertson's false sense of entitlement...

Last edited:
Susan Fennell at the Council meeting earlier this week "(It's time) to stop campaigning for a new mayor in this chair, while collecting paycheque from the taxpayers"-

Does this mean she's endorsing Linda Jeffrey? :) (Who had to resign her seat to run.)

Once in a while, there's a sitting politician who doesn't get stale in office for too long. Long-time mayor Mike Bradley of Sarnia is a perfect example; he might be one of Ontario's best mayors. Fennell was the right choice in 2000 and in 2003, surprising as it many seem now. Even by 2006, she was getting entitled and out of touch (this is about the time of her arts ball and foundation started to get in some trouble.) But generally 905 elections fail to capture imaginations and anger - unless it's really bad like Vaughan, or now with Brampton.

Last edited:

Back