News   May 17, 2024
 2.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

2014 Municipal Election: Brampton

Looks like she will be the third consecutive mayor of Brampton to end her term with a cloud over hear head. There was something about Pat Robertson and real estate, maybe practising without a licence? I seem to recall there were also posthumous revelations about Ken Whillans, about what I do not recall.

Looks like she will be the third consecutive mayor of Brampton to end her term with a cloud over hear head. There was something about Pat Robertson and real estate, maybe practising without a licence? I seem to recall there were also posthumous revelations about Ken Whillans, about what I do not recall.

After his Mayoralty ended there was an issue about Peter Robertson and a real estate license (not sure what the severity of that was).....Ken Whillains I believe, had a charge of driving with open alcohol in his car (if I recall correctly) not sure of the timing of that.....when he died in office he was replaced by Paul Beisel who, five years after leaving office, was charged with some sort of mortgage related fraud (he was a mortgage broker by profession....I think Midland Mortgage).

Robertson is also involved in a court case now....during the Region of Peel strike last year his car struck a picketer.

Last edited:
Didn't Peter Roberston make some sort of stupid remark after losing to Fennell in 2000? About how he would have won if he was a woman?

Don't recall, specifically, but he did get a bit bitter and old manish quite quickly so it would not surprise me. He has been getting a bit active locally again......he was involved in one of the (very) late ideas to bring a PanAm games cricket facility to town and I saw him recently at the Golden Panel roundtable on the funding tools (the one held in Mississauga) where he felt compelled to make a bit of a rambling speech.

I think he may also be part of that fledgling group CFBB (citizens for a Better Brampton) ...although I can't say for sure on that.

I have to ask.. would you rather have your current spendaholic Mayor re-elected?

Or frugal but embarrassing Rob Ford?

I have to ask.. would you rather have your current spendaholic Mayor re-elected?

Or frugal but embarrassing Rob Ford?

It is an irrelevant hypothetical as it is not a ballot choice. As a general rule, however, I tend not to vote for people who admit to breaking laws.

After his Mayoralty ended there was an issue about Peter Robertson and a real estate license (not sure what the severity of that was).....Ken Whillains I believe, had a charge of driving with open alcohol in his car (if I recall correctly) not sure of the timing of that.....when he died in office he was replaced by Paul Beisel who, five years after leaving office, was charged with some sort of mortgage related fraud (he was a mortgage broker by profession....I think Midland Mortgage).

Robertson is also involved in a court case now....during the Region of Peel strike last year his car struck a picketer.

I thought there were allegations of financial misdeeds involving Ken Whillans, but that was almost 30 years ago...

Probably won't read about this in the Star but the city's ethics commissioner found a candidate for mayor in breach last week.

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/meetings-agendas/City Council 2010/20140409cc_L1.pdf

this is what I meant earlier when I mentioned that all 3 major candidates have "issues".......this particular candidate was brought under a spotlight during the expense revelations and now has this breech to deal with. He is in that tough position of wanting to take credit for the good things that have happened during his time on council while trying to push the negative over to the incumbent....always (IMO) a very tough thing to do.

A major problem is where is the City Centre....Is it 10&7 (City Hall)?

For someone bemoaning Brampton's urban identity, you're playing into its sense of nothingness. Calling the Four Corners highways? This is a traditional downtown you're talking about here. And it's not even called "Hurontario" there, but easy-to-say "Main".

The whole 905 seems to be plagued with this phenomenon of people describing it like there in still-rural areas.

For someone bemoaning Brampton's urban identity, you're playing into its sense of nothingness. Calling the Four Corners highways? This is a traditional downtown you're talking about here. And it's not even called "Hurontario" there, but easy-to-say "Main".

The whole 905 seems to be plagued with this phenomenon of people describing it like there in still-rural areas.

Yeah because only rural areas have highways. And Hurontario was never in the recent past designated as Highway 10.

Exactly it does have a sense of nothingness...a conglomeration of subdivisions dating back to the '50's built around a village centre (Brampton) or a planned "satellite community" with all the ammenities of the '70's (Bramalea)...throw in the subs that have grown since in the Gore and Ching and there you have a hodgepodge a city with no sense of self....

Back