489     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 321     0 

1200 Eglinton Ave E (?, ?, ?)

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I drove by on the DVP last week and noticed this building was being demolished, much to my surprise.. anyone know what’s going on?

Yup. Second large office block in the area to go down in the last few years. I think I murmured something along the lines of "what the f***!?" when I saw it down to the concrete frame as I went by. These buildings should have been looking at some heritage designations, or at least ensuring office replacement protections.

Not the most urban-friendly building mind you.

Set well back from the street.

Large, above-ground parking garage.

Even retained as office, I would find it hard to argue for keeping the site as is........

It's certainly less banal than many suburban office complexes; but I wouldn't put it up there among the best, by a considerable margin.

1586995321260.png

Taken from here: https://www.yelp.ca/biz/fong-and-partners-inc-toronto

It's rather strange to see a structure that's deemed unsound to be torn down while looking heavier up top! It looks ready to pancake!

I am not too saddened by this. I hope the whole area gets redeveloped into a more urban form, especially with Ferrand LRT stop being right there in a few short years.

I don't see any plans for the site so I take it they are demolishing to reduce operating costs ahead of eventual development plans.

Would be nice if whatever happens here in the future here incorporates some employment and mixed-uses such as office, commercial, or even potentially hotel spaces if the demand is there.

This site is just outside the new Don Mills Crossing Secondary Plan. It is designated "General Employment" in the OP.

Back