News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"I second! Whatever kind of replica it is, I don't want it there either. But it will remain and there is nothing we can do about it."

I suppose we'll have to take your word for it but, really, that would be analogous to someone who prefers traditional complaining about the very existence of a well executed modern building. To take the position that we'll all somehow have to 'bear with it' is excessive and petty. You may not like the building but you know the city would be lessened by its absence.

What we could do without are the hundreds of building that neither say nor attempt anything - those nameless commercial boxes that litter the city of no identifiable style whatsoever.

I think 1 St Thomas pays homage to that gov't tower at University & Wellsey without itself being Gothic.

Why would the city be lessened by the absence of a replica if the alternative, as you point out, is a well executed original?

Whatever style they're built in, and from whatever generation they have sprung, a huge stock of second rate buildings has been gifted to future generations. They must eventually take the wrecker's ball to them, and replace them with structures worthy of our great city and its fine people.

Why? There are some lovely little houses there. And it is vibrant, messy, sprawling with life, well-loved, and organic, and hasn't been turned into a sanitized, soulless no-go zone by redevelopment.

"Why would the city be lessened by the absence of a replica if the alternative, as you point out, is a well executed original?"

I couldn't find any reference to "a replica" on this thread, not sure if your question is addressed to me. However, even the gov't building is itself neo-gothic and therefore not original. But I like it anyway.

Both interchange and Zephyr used the word. You copied one of their quotes, with the word in, in your previous post on this thread.

A view from the West (of civilization?)

from my pov (literally out the window as i type this) 1 st thomas nicely references the silhouette of the manulife tower--similar profile from the west. a perfect pairing even if the architectural details are different.

Now the only reason I did not purchase at 1 st thomas was the fact there's no helicopter landing pad on top--which toronto developer will fulfill my personal transportation choice?

1 st thomas filled a marketing niche and thankfully, the details are nice. That doesn't mean Toronto will suddenly hire Mr Stern as its official architect--that job appears to be taken by the aA crew.

From what Zephyr writes, it appears that Mr. Stern is far too busy writing introductions to books for his followers to ever become that.

...and aA will have to wrestle that job away from Toronto's official box designer, Jack Diamond.

aA seems to be leading the way in making tall condominiums sexy, though.

Do we have an official architect? Most of the cultural buildings have gone to KPMB lately. They were the first choice to design the opera/ballet house too, though Diamond+Schmitt, um, took that over from them.

965912359_c3009e891d_b.jpg

CBOT/CBOT Addition vs One St. Thomas

Ooooh! Nice use of a view terminus.

Reminds me a tiny bit of the Chicago Board of Trade building.

Interesting comparison SeanTrans. I'd like now to present the contrast between the two, and bring into this dialogue a relatively silent third partner.

Unlike Stern's building, the Chicago Board Of Trade, or CBOT, is the real thing, built in 1930 and reflecting its era. This 77 year old building has been preserved beautifully, in every way, including the interior lobby, which almost looks new with its shiny gild, selective use of black granite, polished mirrors and art-deco streamlining. CBOT continues to have more than enough tenants to survive as a building for a very long time.

But to further highlight the Stern issue, is another building, that is directly south of CBOT, and attached to it. This building was completed in 1983, and was deliberately designed to be of lesser height, so as not to be seen from any part of LaSalle Street that leads up to the entrance to CBOT. The name of this building is the CBOT Addition, by Chicago-based architect Helmut Jahn. The attached building is broadly shaped like CBOT with stylised setbacks, and also carries a spire, but the CBOT Addition is decidedly derived from a more recent design vintage. Aside from defining by form, there is also a defining that is accomplished by the conservative manipulation of neutral reflective, grey, off-blue and black glass tiles.

Between the two CBOT buildings, there is much to be learned: one offers an excellent example of the value of preserving originals; the other, while respecting the past and context, manages to still create an inspired update to the building to which it is linked.

LEFT - LaSalle St. level view of the front entrance to CBOT; RIGHT - backside of CBOT is the CBOT Addition, by Helmut Jahn, viewed from above in a nearby skyscraper

203454145_8459566d25_b.jpg
158439653_32d9e057b1_b.jpg

CENTRE - Comparison of height and spires
(The taller CBOT uses goddest of grain Ceres /
CBOT Addition, which is behind largest setback of CBOT, uses stylised trading-pit logo for CBOT)

272787928_b7fc2fd083_b.jpg

Back