News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 601     1 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've slammed him severely not so much for what he has done, as much as what he represents to me.

I generally share your feelings about faux historic architecture, I think much of it is ghastly and compeltely out of context as well. There is indeed a lot of that going on in Toronto, as there is in other cities. But I don't see Stern as some kind of front man for regressive architecture. Again I think a lot of his stuff is quite unique.

But all I have to do is leave and go to another North American city that has captured the magic, and I remember that Toronto still has a ways to go.

I'm not sure if I quite agree with you on the residential towers in TO. Aside from the half dozen or so elite projects in the core there are quite a few other fresh and refined designs that are being proposed and built here as well. I acknowledge that Chicago is probably more progressive in this regard, but that particular US city has a history of innovative architecture that is perhaps unsurpassed by any in North America- to top Chicago would be a pretty tall order for any city. Just curious- what other NA cities do you think are forging ahead of TO in the area of progressive designs?

Not sure I agree with your view on the office buildings here- I think the latest round of towers are very tepid efforts. But I here Foster may build something.

Got more to say but it's fri and I'm off for a beer -cheers!

The emphasis on architecture is a Chicago preoccupation

While I believe that Chicago has a very good number of residential tower projects that have have great architectural merit, the same cannot be said for every single Chicago project. While in Chicago, the SSP forumers there pointed out some recent projects that they collectively did not like.

While walking around River North on my first night there, I actually commented that it felt like North York Centre (on second thought, it probably felt more like the Bay Street corridor between Dundas and Bloor).

I don't think we should make excuses for this building. Stern has carved out a niche for himself by producing buildings for people with ostentatious "good taste" and I don't see the magic ingredient in any of his buildings that elevates them beyond that. Much of what he does is decoration, not design, and is about delivering a fashionable look to status-conscious consumers rather than doing anything original.

Appointed bodies of experts exist in order to protect the gullible public from their worst impulses in all sorts of ways, and design doesn't have to be exempt.

"The OSC protects the public from abuses to the capital markets, so why shouldn't purchasers of objects such as houses and condominiums be protected from bad design by a similar control and enforcement mechanism?"

Your premise about the OSC's effectiveness in regulating capital markets is incorrect, which makes your analogy useless. Even if your premise were correct, your conclusion would be illogical as it presupposes Stern's work wouldn't qualify as good design. It is good design, very good, you just don't happen to like it, which is convenient for you financially (my assumption).

The OSC is constantly jumping in here and there and shouting "Gotcha!" Proactive design police could thwart pippypoo-mongers in much the same way and throw the book at them, for the public good.

And why should people be forced to live in a way some group of appointed experts believes they should? Surely people should be free to buy the home that they want. You'll recall that when the Bauhaus was designing sleek machines for living for inter-war German workers the first thing those German workers did was put all their brick-a-brack. Because they wanted that brick-a-brack in thier homes regardless of the "design culture" saything they shouldn't have it.

Even more to the point, remember the fate of Le Corbusier's Cité Frugès in Pessac--at least over its first half century or so...

And wouldn't Stern, being the Dean of the Yale University School of Architecture, be part of this glorious and wonderful 'design culture' who are going to save us from ourselves?

(in other words, the concept of homogeneity in 'design culture' is delusional)

Much of what he does is decoration, not design

Every architect decorates and designs. The plywood-doppelganger panels on Spire are decoration. The extruded aluminum siding on the ROM is decoration. Pier 27's bridge is decoration. There's no difference between these and Stern's mausoleum-chic doodads and pippypoos.

Much of what he does is decoration, not design, and is about delivering a fashionable look to status-conscious consumers rather than doing anything original.

And Toronto's countless Clewesian cookie-cutter modernist boxes are original? Again, I generally don't like these types of faux developments (and I prefer the Spires and 18 Yorkvilles of the city) but I think you're using an unfair double standard... and I think that this faux Stern is a cut above the others and is actually palatable.

[ALTERNATE LSC Photos] Comparing 1 St. Thomas to the Past - Louisiana State Capitol

One of the more intriguing buildings in the US is the Louisiana State Capitol built in 1932. It followed on the heels of another skyscraper state capitol built in Lincoln, Nebraska. And many believed the Louisiana State Capitol (or LSC) also shared/borrowed/copied a number of design points of its Nebraska State Capitol predecessor. But I will turn the comparison away from that one and back towards what is more relevant - Stern's 1 St. Thomas building. Duly noted here at the outset, the LSC is by definition a government building rather than a residential tower. Why is it relevant? LSC will be used as an entry point into what is being brought forward into the present from the past by Stern, and reworked, not updated. This is a subtle distinction, that will not be appreciated by the casual observer, but without which recognition is misplaced or subordinated unfairly.

When this Louisiana building came in under budget, projected to be 5,000,000 USD, it could have been assigned, quite properly, to a skyscraper style now known as "Classicism". But with the monies leftover this building was tweaked with added Art Deco ornamentation that has caused confusion to this day. This building is routinely grouped under the Art Deco style by nearly everyone, despite the still dominant Classicism in evidence in both the exterior and interior. The three photos below, in the first row, are of the exterior of this magnificent building. The legerdemain in the transition from rectangular floor plates at the base and shaft to octagonals at the top is sublime.

After viewing these images, imagine the same building without the Art Deco ornamentation: then compare literally, and in your mind's eye (sans ornament), this Louisiana skyscraper to 1 St. Thomas (the latter images selectively drawn from previous posts, and placed in the last row). These two buildings while obviously not identical, bare a very strong resemblance, worth analyzing. Architectural detail has to be understood by its syntax to best appreciate what looks like major difference within a style. In reality that difference may simply be a matter of what the architect emphasizes, rather than a substantial change. One of the best aspects of the LSC is its suppression but not elimination of setbacks to create the feeling of greater verticality. The Stern building, on the other hand, mutes some of its verticality by employing a repetition of detail from the top and varying the pattern of repetition, symmetrically downward to the base. As a consequence, the Stern building emphasizes the setback pattern a great deal more than LSC. Moreover, the exterior panels of the shaft, those in relief versus those raised, are also reversed between the two buildings. But both buildings gather around similiar window patterns off each side at the top, and define the structure in a discrete build from the base to the cupola that are within the bounds of the overall design type of Classicism.

There were many such buildings constructed in urban areas of North America throughout the 1930s, with occasional stragglers largely in that next decade. Most of these buildings, even those with considerable merit, were eventually demolished, but photos and sketches remain. These historical designs anticipate nearly every aspect of Stern's exterior design if the time is taken to examine them carefully, but you will need an open mind to see this if you start with the idea that this is not possible given that this style is so far back into a prior era. I hope to make an attempt to demonstrate these lines to the present in periodic posts in future. I still maintain that Stern's 1 St. Thomas is primarily derivative - including those few selective elements that are erroneously referred to as "Stern updates" in places where the historical record has been lost or simply ignored.

The Louisiana State Capitol is thankfully with us today in Baton Rouge, La., and was the product of the then politically connected New Orleans architectural firm of Weiss, Dreyfous and Seiferth. The exterior uses a beautiful "Alabama Limestone" that is not given justice in these photos. It is a 34-storey skyscraper that is roughly 140 metres high. When built, it was the tallest building in the Southeast United States region - which included Atlanta, Miami, and Dallas which we might have thought would be taller. The history that surrounds this building in the time of Huey Long, is legendary, and has become the subject of several fictional books in its wake. Finally, it is on the American "National Register of Historic Landmarks" in order to preserve it for future generations.
___________​

472046217_f2bb6e0388.jpg
381978479_f4ea40697f.jpg
527197170_767179ffba.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg
490632034_55ba1b64b6.jpg
1StThomasRender.jpg

They show now. Those are beauties. Thanks for posting the images.

I positively adore this building. look at how remarkably it resembles its rendering! that almost never happens! wonderful work. The base, the tower, the details, its simply marvelous.

does anyone happen to have the floorplans for this building? I'd love to see them, and they've been removed from the website... and I can't seem to find them anywhere! any help would be appreciated!

Back